• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oh no he didn't, oh yes he did 180 gal build

Paul

Jokes apart. Have you seen the colors of the fish under LED? I mean I have T5 and LED now. When the fish is swimming in the front and it could be a yellow tang I don't care and when she is swimming under LED, there is a difference.

Now the colors on the wrasses (and I know you just got one) are totally different under LED.

Why do you think all the LFS are switching the FOWLR holding tanks to LED? The fish look fab and sell quick.

I see it all the time - first hand.

If you want to see it you old fart, you have precisely 49 hours to do so, because come Sat, I will be all LED.

Sunny

Lmao Paul an old fart! He just farts old.

Mike not 6 months, but potentially add a frogspawn/zoa overtime. This tank is in the wall and not going anywhere until I move out, thus this is my final upgrade. I setup everything how I always wanted as far as having the sump external and hidden so I'm happy.

If I could I would do a rbta w/ a pair of clowns, but they're such pita to keep and I have no luck when it comes to corals blah.

Paul I agree and told him the same thing.

I'm looking at $140 led units for my fowlr...I can't see using up the burn time on those types of fixtures on a fowlr. But Mike is right....Brandon will get bored and be adding zoas and chalices before we can blink lol

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sunny, I just don’t know.

I think this is going to require extensive study.

So I’m bringing over my pillow and sleeping bag to begin studying the differences between your current lights and the new lights. Realize this might be a multi-year study, but I believe that couch in front of your tank will be just fine for my studies.

Actually I’ve never had a FOWLR and therefore have never seen the effect of LED’s versus other lighting. Although I’m a bit confused, and would think that wavelength, regardless of source, would be the critical factor of how a fish (or coral for that fact) looks. Source shouldn’t matter.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Sunny, I just don’t know.

I think this is going to require extensive study.

So I’m bringing over my pillow and sleeping bag to begin studying the differences between your current lights and the new lights. Realize this might be a multi-year study, but I believe that couch in front of your tank will be just fine for my studies.

Actually I’ve never had a FOWLR and therefore have never seen the effect of LED’s versus other lighting. Although I’m a bit confused, and would think that wavelength, regardless of source, would be the critical factor of how a fish (or coral for that fact) looks. Source shouldn’t matter.

You can camp on my couch no worries there. But if wave length matters then why does T5 not produce the shimmer that LED does?
LED and T5 may produce same wavelength but there is sharpness, contrast and to some extent saturation which is a whole other story.

When are you coming so I can cleanup the couch?

Sunny

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Paul if you want to see the effect of LEDs and fish, go take a look at the Elos store. He has some LED units over the big in wall display in the back and the fish look amazing. Everyone wants the purple tang with the orange tail, it is just a normal purple tang but with a touch of LEDs you can make them look incredible.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Those red lights in Elos are just ridiculous. They morph the colors of the livestock :) That purple tank with "red" tail and the anthias are just different species under those lights.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul if you want to see the effect of LEDs and fish, go take a look at the Elos store. He has some LED units over the big in wall display in the back and the fish look amazing. Everyone wants the purple tang with the orange tail, it is just a normal purple tang but with a touch of LEDs you can make them look incredible.

Those red lights in Elos are just ridiculous. They morph the colors of the livestock :) That purple tank with "red" tail and the anthias are just different species under those lights.
This is the funny thing about LEDs. We are swaying from natural coloration of fish and corals in the wild (as I see it). We now "enhance" the looks of our tanks coloring by LED trickery to our liking. Everybody laughed and debated the fact that Ecotech came out with the green, red and maybe other crazy colors in their Radion. Is it necessary? Probably not, Fun and appealing to the eye? Yes. I now hear you mention of red LEDs giving purple tangs red/orange tails, I wonder haw many noobs search for these or buy with disappointment when they get home! LMAO

I can't wait to see what other colorations come out and finally make up my mind. I like reading these posts from you guys because I would love to go full LED someday, but was real hesitant with it being so new. I did do the LED moonlighting and made things pop, but also killed other colors. Now that you mention these other colors, I think things are narrowing down to my liking!

Pretty soon we will be hiring "interior decorators" to tune our tank colors to our rooms or we will go to the LFS with a swatch to scan and get the combination of LEDs to give us what we want (just like custom paints at Home Depot!) LMAO

This is the funny thing about LEDs. We are swaying from natural coloration of fish and corals in the wild (as I see it). We now "enhance" the looks of our tanks coloring by LED trickery to our liking. Everybody laughed and debated the fact that Ecotech came out with the green, red and maybe other crazy colors in their Radion. Is it necessary? Probably not, Fun and appealing to the eye? Yes. I now hear you mention of red LEDs giving purple tangs red/orange tails, I wonder haw many noobs search for these or buy with disappointment when they get home! LMAO

I can't wait to see what other colorations come out and finally make up my mind. I like reading these posts from you guys because I would love to go full LED someday, but was real hesitant with it being so new. I did do the LED moonlighting and made things pop, but also killed other colors. Now that you mention these other colors, I think things are narrowing down to my liking!

Pretty soon we will be hiring "interior decorators" to tune our tank colors to our rooms or we will go to the LFS with a swatch to scan and get the combination of LEDs to give us what we want (just like custom paints at Home Depot!) LMAO

What is next a yellow tang called a rainbow tang ? Dance

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Ralph over at Elos thought is dead honest about the lights and the effect they have on the fish so no one is going to go home disappointed I was just amazed how a little bit of red led can really make a fish glow when all we ever thought about was coral coloration.

I added 2 Sustainable Aquatics Snow Onyx clowns tonight since I added the instant ocean bio-spira and in another thread it was recommended to add some fish within 24 hrs.

I plan on leaving them in until the end of the month and then maybe my CUC?

Tomorrow I'm picking my lights up from Sunny and hoping to get them mounted and some photos!

I picked up two AI sol blues from Sunny today and got them hung. I must say two 16" over the water surface centered between my center brace lights the tank very very well. If I decide to add corals I may add a 3rd to allow me to lower them, but overall I am happy and impressed. Click the link for full size

http://i.imgur.com/1xBNtl.jpg
Hm5k1l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Hm5k1l.jpg
1xBNtl.jpg

Sunny,

Clowns are fine, today I took your advice and moved my hippo + melnarus wrasse in as well. Tomorrow I'll probably move the shrimp over.

I also want to thank Sunny again for letting me see his tank! When I have a place of my own I am going to copy his setup :). Sunny when you frag some things let me know, I showed my cousin your tank and he was all :000000000) drool.

Also thanks to my boy Tri for taking the ride/adventure today, it was fun! We stopped by Sunny's, chatted for a bit and then made our way to ultimate corals. Ultimate corals is a very nice setup with even nicer corals and prices!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brandon, looking real good. I like that minimalist rock look instead of the typical Berlin Wall that so many of use put in, me included.

I’ll give you two weeks before you have coral in that FOWLR(+C)! :grin:

Brandon, looking real good. I like that minimalist rock look instead of the typical Berlin Wall that so many of use put in, me included.

I’ll give you two weeks before you have coral in that FOWLR(+C)! :grin:

Tri and I went down to ultimate corals, I came VERY close to buying a blasto frag because they were so good looking and cheap!

But I resisted, with the lights 16" off the water I don't know if I'd be able to keep corals in the tank now.

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Tri and I went down to ultimate corals, I came VERY close to buying a blasto frag because they were so good looking and cheap!

But I resisted, with the lights 16" off the water I don't know if I'd be able to keep corals in the tank now.

Thanks for the kind words. Let me know when your ready and I'll make you up a nice pack for that 180 reef "cough" I mean 180 FOWLR :)

That blasto IS SIKK i mean... 10 BUX I should have just bought all of them....but I was already up like 100 bux hehe. So I bought 1 head with 3 babies under it.

I'm gonna start a coral service..

REEFSHOP LIVE -

Basically I will go to a Reef Vendor.. and Start a Livestream (A-la Face Time or Skype) and broadcast whats for sale. If you want something I'll negotiate the deal and you paypal the vendor. I pack it up and bring it up North. The Charge is 1 Frag 20 Dollars or Less.