• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

One tank 2 tank, small tank big tank

playing with some colors, i like the all black and the one on the right. not so much the middle.
standcolors.jpg

then theres always this
standcolors2.jpg

most likely going to just be all black

where do you live nemo?
anem ..anemo.. anemone
IMG_3483.jpg

thanks for the offer mike, i think we're alright but if anything ill let you know.

jonathan, you'll be able to see it progress in this thread and then stop by for sure!

im thinking once this beam gets in it should be smooth sailing. just plumbing and doing a mock up for the lighting (until i can build a hood) and then fill'n her up.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks good Jon.
That must be Dads skillsaw. Now I know what to get him for Christmass. ;D

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mikem said:
That must be Dads skillsaw.

Hey Mike, I’m in discussions with the Smithsonian right now about displaying this antique beauty behind glass. I can’t complain…it still cuts. The one problem is that it is not the typical 7 ¼ inch blade, but 6 ½. It makes finding blades a little tough.

A little history about adding the extra beams, if anyone is interested. The new tank (90 g display (five feet long), with 40 g sump) was originally going to be up against a supporting wall, perpendicular to the beams below. At this point, there was no concern about the weight. However, onefish decided to move the new tank to an adjacent wall where the beaming was now parallel to the tank. At best, the tank was only directly on two beams, running a little over 12 feet. I made an attempt to read up on load forces and necessary supports, but found that it’s not as simple as knowing the area, weight and beam lengths. It’s relatively complex, especially to my simple mind. Oh, and by the way, as an aside, a number of folks told us that no additional supports would be necessary…but my little mind wasn’t happy with that. So, after trashing the good read on load forces, I did what I usually do, and pulled some wisdom out of thin air….”Hey, If I just add two more beams, that should be enough.” And the best part, I didn’t have to do any calculations. It just sounded good. Certainly better then doing nothing at all. So after removing two electrical lines and four, half inch copper heating lines, we now have two new 2 x 10’s sistered onto the original beams.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ohhh, I see. You're being prepaired for a future 220 or 265 upgrade. ;D

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
After spending a week down in North Carolina, we finally finished up the plumbing on the back of the tank. Onefish usually updates this build, but he so wants to get this build up and running, he is in the process of filling the tank as I type. So here’s the finished plumbing on the back of the tank going into the stand:

PlumbingTankBack.jpg

Here’s the plumbing coming into the stand:

PlumbingUnderStand.jpg

And here is the return manifold on the top back edge of the tank. This turned out well. Made up the pipe and fittings and then glued it to a piece of vinyl J-channel that is typically used for half inch wallboard. With the tank made of half inch glass, the J-channel pipe assemble just slid onto the back glass.

PlumbingReturnLine.jpg

And finally, the full tank and stand shot:

TankOnStand0328.jpg

things are horrible.

i transfered everything over which took until wee into the morning. go to sleep and wake up to bleached out (pretty much every) coral. funny how the kenya tree and green palys are fine but the 5 or so peices of SPS are gone, chalices, frogspawn, the new scoly i just got from john... im just bummed. im assuming all the toxins did them in as the tank was cloudy and carbon couldnt keep up.

on the positive it appears the anemone split, which im sure was based on stress, but hey it still split right?

:mad: