• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Our 30 Gallon Cube (pics included)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Cleanup crew is a mix of snails and hermits. Nassarius, cerith and astrea snails and blue legged hermits. We just add as we go along. We know we are going to lose some, so we just look and see what we need.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
So we picked up some new stuff for the 30g. First, we needed to replace the picasso clown that got sucked into a powerhead. We did not want to leave the other one alone for too long out of the fear of it getting to aggressive. When we picked up the new tank at AO they had one left and he promptly became ours. Second, before we left we got a pistol shrimp from reef to reptiles to pair with our goby. They paired up in a few hours and have spent the last few weeks rearranging our tank. They finally settled down on a new cave and have been making it perfect ever since. Third, we were at Trop for their coal sale and I wanted a medium size colony of pink poccillapora however Austin told us he had a bigger piece that had two acro crabs living in it. We all thought they were a mated pair because they will kick other crabs out of their coral if they are not. A day after adding the piece, one migrated over to our birdsnest colony where he made his new home.

New Picasso clown:
30newpic.jpg

Pistol shrimp and goby:
30pistolshrimp.jpg

Pocillipora Colony:
20pocil.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The only thing I have seen him nip at is the gorgonian. I don't know if he is nipping at algae on a bare spot or the actual gorgonian polyps. The flame does not bother anything else, but we really don't have any fleshy LPS (besides frogspawn) or clams. He has left our zoas alone and they are all growing. Our next purchase is a maxima clam, so I will let you know after that.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Whitebird1 said:
Pics of the yellows? and how are the Hawaiian Zoos?
GregH

They are all doing great, opening right on up. Did the other two frags you have survive?

The bleached ones are still bleached, but not giving up yet, one frags gone to a better place, but I just found one that has to be yours, lot like the Hawaiians, single polyp.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Well here are some pics for you zoa lovers out there.

Greg here are your frags:
30fragsgreg.jpg

Our Nuclear greens, purple deaths, keds reds, and Captain America Palys:
30frags2.jpg

Our little frag rack with purple hornets and Wow palys from wobbegong:
30frags.jpg

Here is what the nuclear greens and purple deaths looked like when we first brought them home. We also upgraded to a 14k
30zoas.jpg

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Tanks looks nice. Let me know when your purple hornets are ready to frag. I bought some of those at MACNA and they melted on me before I got them home.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They started out as a polyp and a baby now I have 2 polyps and almost a third full polyp. I am sure they will be fraggable soon.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Have not updated this in a while and there has been some good news and some bad news.

Bad News:
Lost both of the clams, no idea why both went at different times. They never seemed to attach themselves and then would come home one day they would look terrible and that night an empty shell. Our clam experiment has come to an end and we will not be trying those anytime soon. The anemone decided that life was just awful and committed suicide. First it tried to get sucked into our skimmer powerhead which we moved, then it tried to get sucked into our refugium powerhead which we took out of the tank, so that night it decided the mp20 was the best means of suicide. We woke up to find it on the pump beginning to get chopped up so we got it early. We did a quick 10% water change and changed out our carbon. We did another 10% water change today and everything is fine.

Good News:
The corals, especially the SPS, are looking much better and we are starting to get some growth that I have not seen before. The fish are all very healthy including the mandarin who is nice and fat.

New additions:
The wife made an impulse buy and bought a blue spot Jawfish. We were at trop getting our weekly RO water and checking out all the awesome fish we don't have a big enough tank for, and we did not even see him at first. I was walking back by the tanks and the space above the tank was open (sliding doors) and I was able to see the fish behind the liverock. Very healthy and fat, had made a tunnel which was good behavior, and was aggressively defending that territory from the other fish in the tank. Basically, everything you could want to see before you buy a fish. I was then sent to HD to buy eggcrate to create the cover for the tank. We cut the eggcrate perfectly to the top of the tank and then put some fiberglass screen over top of it to absolutely make sure he cannot jump.

So without any further ado:
30bluespot.jpg

I love this fish and have always wanted one and they have just great personality. He already has a nice burrow which is pretty close to the front of the tank so we get to see him a lot. He is still a little scared when I get close to take a picture, so can't really get any really good ones yet. FYI for those who want one, he tried to jump out of his acclimation bucket about 20 times in an hour, so make sure you have that covered as well.

Here is the cover and no it does not really block the light. Tank still looks the same to me and it is a 250w MH pendant so even if it is blocking some, no biggie:
30cover.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Just a couple of quick photos:

Clowns and angel:
30tankshot.jpg

The bluspot in his new home after he tried to jump twice:
30bsj.jpg