• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Our 30 Gallon Cube (pics included)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Here is the birthday present:
ad30spiral.jpg

ad30spiral1.jpg

ad30spiral2.jpg

as usual -a stunning choice but I shouldn't be surpised give tne the superb taste you guys have. Beautiful. Now do share what that is. :)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The scientific name is Cirrhipathes spiralis also know as the spiral coral. It was originally thought to be a gorgonian but it is actually horn coral. If that sounds familiar it is the black coral that is illegal to import for jewelery. They have begun aquaculturing them in indonesia which now explains whey they are available in the hobby.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I almost forgot to post this picture of our new top courtesy of Olivier which is absolutely awesome. The amount of light that was being blocked by our DIY cover was substantial. This new cover is amazing.

ad30newtop.jpg

mnat said:
I almost forgot to post this picture of our new top courtesy of Olivier which is absolutely awesome. The amount of light that was being blocked by our DIY cover was substantial. This new cover is amazing.

I wish mine looked half as good lol, might have to shoot Oliver a message.

mike the captain american poly has 2 heads now!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Olivier did a phenomonal job with the top and the tank looks so much better now with more light coming through.

Those captain americas grow fast. I am back to around 12 heads so I will be doing some more fragging soon. I have a couple of baby head that need to develop first.

mnat said:
Olivier did a phenomonal job with the top and the tank looks so much better now with more light coming through.

Those captain americas grow fast. I am back to around 12 heads so I will be doing some more fragging soon. I have a couple of baby head that need to develop first.

Yes he did, I shot him a message to see if he would grace me with his skills. Where do you have your CAP with the halide? high or low?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They were on the frag rack near the top of the tank, on the side.

mnat said:
The scientific name is Cirrhipathes spiralis also know as the spiral coral. It was originally thought to be a gorgonian but it is actually horn coral. If that sounds familiar it is the black coral that is illegal to import for jewelery. They have begun aquaculturing them in indonesia which now explains whey they are available in the hobby.

Very interesting. Now fess up. Where did you get it from?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Good old Tropiquarium, I watched it there for over a week and just waited. Brent said he is going to order another so someone else is going to have a shot.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Couple of updates....

The blue spot jawfish now has a sweet penthouse suite in our tank. He had a big one bedroom which he expanded into a two bedroom by burrowing under not one piece of live rock but two. Now he hangs out in the top of the live rock in caves. I am sure the fact that something is nipping his tail has something to do with this.
In the Penthouse:
ad30bsjpent1.jpg

For some perspective here is how far he is off the sand bed:
ad30bsjpent.jpg

In keeping with our weird coral obession, Christmas tree worms:
ad30christmas.jpg

ad30christmas1.jpg

We had it up front but the blue spot kept spitting sand on it so we moved it to the back corner.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Lost a lot on this one as well. Not going to do a repost of the old images, just thought I would add some new ones I took yesterday:

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

A verry abbreviated list of the Current livestock and approximate dates they came to live with us:
Mystery Wrasse (spring 2010)
False Shephardi angel (we think this guy is a flame/rusty hybrid) (February 2011)
Pair of black and white clowns & their RBTA (female clown:spring 2008; male clown: October 2010; RBTA: summer 2010)
Blue spotted jawfish (December 2010
Yellow watchman goby ((fall of 2010 I believe)
Serpant star (summer 2010)

Corals include sps, acans, zoas, montis, and cyphestra. Ill go into more detail on the corals another time.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I knew that spread sheet you made was going to come in handy some day!

I just wish I had actually used it when you sent me a copy. :'(

TanksNStuff said:
I knew that spread sheet you made was going to come in handy some day!

I just wish I had actually used it when you sent me a copy. :'(

LOL. It is a little tough to keep updating it regularly, keeping track of corals is a serious project. I do find it helpfull to have records of what does and does not do well in our tanks.