• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PHILLIES - NL EAST CHAMPS!!

Every time I see Kaz I shutter. What a terrible trade. Glad those days are gone. Omar for the most part has brought winning players here. He must improve the pitching though. To be honest, I knew going into the season we would have problems with the pitching simply because of our top three starters. I thought we'd be worse off actually. Pitching both starts and relievers must be the #1, #2, and #3 priorities this offseason.

Congrats to the Phillies and their fans. At least it wasn't the Braves!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I felt all year the pitching staff was over-achieving. I guess I just got complacent and expected them to continue.

Oh well, congra . . . congra . . . congra . . . yeah, at least it wasn't the Braves.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Come on John....you can spit it out. At least your Giants are getting some revenge tonight.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey at least his sense of humor is returning. I was rattling the cabinets for some xanax before.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
Hey at least his sense of humor is returning. I was rattling the cabinets for some xanax before.

Wait a minute! We have Xanex?!? BRB.

Sorry Rich, I've been a Blue fan as long as I've been a Mets fan. Trust me, I have a pretty good idea where their season is going too!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Don't be mad at me for this John...

It was Deb's idea (I SWEAR!)

199_01_10_07_10_18_37.jpeg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah yeah, and next year, in addition to batting practice, they're going to incorporate the Heimlich Manuvere into their pregame routine.

Where does Mets' collapse rank? ::)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7286840?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10539

T4. Philadelphia Phillies, 1964 and New York Mets, 2007

OK, so maybe we're taking the coward's way out on this one.

But we like to think we're simply highlighting the irony of the 2007 Phillies being the benefit of the largest September swoon in major league history, given how that dishonor had previously belonged to ... the 1964 Phillies.

Back in '64, the Phillies could have claimed the National League pennant if they'd only managed to go 4-8 in their final 12 games. Unfortunately for them, they weren't able to win at that .333 clip, dropping 10 in a row at one point and blowing a six-and-a-half game lead in just 12 days.

Granted, with 12 games remaining, the Mets' lead in the NL East had already shrunk to a paltry one-and-a-half games. So at least on the surface, it doesn't seem like anywhere near as egregious a choke job.

But that doesn't change the fact that with 17 games left on the schedule, New York had a seemingly insurmountable seven-game lead. It doesn't make up for the team's inability to even manage a face-saving wild-card berth. And it certainly doesn't excuse the Mets for losing five of six at home to the Nationals and Marlins in the final week of the season, when going just 2-4 against a pair of teams that combined for 180 losses in 2007 would have at least earned them a one-game playoff.

In fact, all it does in our books is link the '64 Phillies and the '07 Mets in baseball history.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah . . . but let me think . . . who holds the record for the most losses by ANY franchise in ANY sport . . . . hmmm . . . who could that be . . . . oh yeah that's right, it's the phillies

JohnS_323 said:
Yeah . . . but let me think . . . who holds the record for the most losses by ANY franchise in ANY sport . . . . hmmm . . . who could that be . . . . oh yeah that's right, it's the phillies

Ok i had to go out on a limb and do some math here...

but the phillies have been around since 1883... 124 seasons... with 10028 Loses...
and the mets have been around since 1962... 45 seasons.. with 3816 Loses...

so if the mets were around since 1883 they would have averaged out to... 10515 Loses...

Next!!!!!!! :D

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
well . . . . homina homina homina . . . . who'd a thought you'd do the math!

Touche'!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Billy, I didn't notice any choke factor applied. I'd say 10515 x 1.15 choke factor would equal 12092 losses...........................................................more or less. ;)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK, in 2086 we'll just see what's what. I'll expect apologies from both of you if they come in under those numbers :p

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm sure I'll be prone, but I'll be second inline right behind Billy! ;)