• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea 130D AIO

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I cant explain it either but for the most part, they just work. I cant see myself running a tank w/o them

Yea it’s funny. Nearly Every really nice Tank. I watch or visit seems to employ then. Some have a load of Radions or Kessils. Some combination of them or others. Even Orphek Atlantik. Yet nearly every one still supplement with T5 Generally around the perimeter but some times you see a few in between each grouping of LEDs. I’d like to know the science behind it. Don’t get me wrong. It definitely looks better. That’s obvious. But if I see better health and growth. You see it. They talk about it. It becomes more and more ... less anecdotal and more there is something to it. I’d just really like to know what exactly. Is it the greater coverage. The lack of shadowing, some sort of spectrum difference. Perhaps some combination of the whole package.

Yea it’s funny. Nearly Every really nice Tank. I watch or visit seems to employ then. Some have a load of Radions or Kessils. Some combination of them or others. Even Orphek Atlantik. Yet nearly every one still supplement with T5 Generally around the perimeter but some times you see a few in between each grouping of LEDs. I’d like to know the science behind it. Don’t get me wrong. It definitely looks better. That’s obvious. But if I see better health and growth. You see it. They talk about it. It becomes more and more ... less anecdotal and more there is something to it. I’d just really like to know what exactly. Is it the greater coverage. The lack of shadowing, some sort of spectrum difference. Perhaps some combination of the whole package.

T5 give off better Spectrum

T5 give off better Spectrum
It’s not that I don’t want to believe that. I do get better results by adding T5. That’s not even negotiable. It’s just that modern LEDs are completely adjustable and as long as a good manufacturer and not the reefer is dialing in that spectrum it should in Theory blow T5 away. Especially since T5 can color shift over time. That’s why I think it has more to do with the actual light wave. The radiant energy that it produced by the bulb. Obviously I have no idea and am just spitballing here. But an awful lot of people have put an awfully lot of time and money in to this subject. And I will be dam if I can find anything concrete.

Marcus. That looks Amazing. Absolutely stunning. Anyone who even suggests otherwise or that softy tanks can’t look as good as SPS tanks are fools and only kidding themselves. Obviously we all like different things. And don’t have to like what other people like. But only a fool denies what’s starring them in the face. WELL DONE.

Just read through this. Nice build. And looks fantastic.

Sponge, my theory on the t5 supplementation is that, 1. You do get better light spread, it's an even spectrum with less shadowing. 2. LEDs can have the same overall spectrum on paper but you do get hot spots of the individual unblended lighting. Which affects the outcome. I believe if you actually used a spectrometer you would be able to verify this, and it would in theory also show that adding the t5 to supplement helps to blend the hot spots better. That's my theory. I also think with the fluorescent and halide you get a better dose of true UV-a and UV-b reaching the corals. Again just my hypothesis. But when I eventually get into growing again it wont be under leds, it'll be t5 or halide. The frag system to promote color will be under leds.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
They make LED bars that have the same coverage as T5. And you don’t have to change the bulbs.

This tank looks really nice. To be honest some of my favorite corals are soft corals.
I like the movement. I find it more relaxing than sps. I am sure a lot of people would have better success if they would setup a softy tank instead of doing sps or mixed reef.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Folks, I'm shutting down this tank for now and I need to get rid of my livestock.

All items are up for grabs, Devils hand corals, spaghetti leathers, gorgonians, rocks with shrooms on them etc.

After the recent hurricane, my tank was down for a few days and pretty much didn't recover, lost all my inverts which triggered some coral death in my tank.

I'll only give away what I know is healthy enough to survive, so anything dead or dying will be discarded.

This tank also has a small leak in it, so the timing is also perfect.

Anyways I'm not out of the hobby, just shutting this down for now in order to save my livestock.

Pm me for coral pix if interested.

Totally sucks. But absolutely get it. Best of luck. If you need anything when you prep up for your bounce back. Don’t hesitate to ask.