• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Scammer on NJREEFERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mejia.j

NJRC Member
Hello Guys,
Beware of the account by the username:
Miketc17

is sad that is gotten to this point.
but yesterday i bought a skimmer off a member here. He sold it as a red sea reefer rsk 600. All fine until after I pick it up and take it home after a 2 hr drive back and forth. I start cleaning the skimmer and i realize is a rsk 300 not 600. I reach out to him no answer.

later i tried turning the skimmer on, and to my surprise the skimmer doesn’t work.
I sent him pictures and videos, no answer, i texted him to at least refund me the cost for a replacement pump, no answer. He even blocked my messages, and does not answer here on the forum either.
Please be careful guys. C21A7297-5357-4643-8FF0-0A1D0C8D67BF.jpegA1064CCA-BCE7-4ED4-A2FE-E21A03930A04.jpegAE4A67E3-FDBB-49D3-9014-82F0E6BB4B3E.jpeg79503795-A701-4C56-8982-26E10200FC08.jpeg151B419A-DA54-4879-A47C-F87EE8882EF8.jpeg0E222610-F7CE-4E16-A9B9-DC77D6FCB603.jpeg2A5378A6-5AA8-4C6E-9BD9-FEBFA32188AE.png

Attachments

• FDA85ED2-B8D2-4B9D-A2EE-930497054FC1.jpeg
    FDA85ED2-B8D2-4B9D-A2EE-930497054FC1.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 17

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sorry that happened to you. I don't know him. Those that are active on here have been trustworthy

Mejia.j

NJRC Member
Moral of the story? Buy reefing equipment and other leafy vegetables from authorized dealers only.
Basically, but stores do not sell used. I’ve dealt with countless people. First time this happens and all while trying to get back in the hobby.

Sorry to hear about the bad transaction. But I personally just can't get over it being the wrong model , in my opinion that is something that you should have noticed before purchasing. While it was falsely advertised and that is not fair, I just feel that inspection of what you are purchasing should have raised a red flag and killed the deal there.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sorry this happened. I've never had a concern with any NJRC member, and if ever there was a problem, it was immediately compensated for.

When you asked to verify it was a 600 and he replied positively, I'd accept that as well, as I consider this group a good and trustworthy crew. I may be wrong.
Saying that, it can be argued that you had time to inspect it, but with the marking being so obscure, and you picking up from a garage, and the assurance that it was a 600 by a long time member...

As per it not working, sometimes dry pumps sieze. Submerge it in water, disassemble and clean it (twist it apart and get impeller out and cleaned while watching for small important bits that may fall out), and maybe it'll start up again. Have seen this happen on many an occasion.
Hopefully thats the case and the misleading part was only the model number.

In my opinion It seems fair that you be partially refunded for the misleading model info as well as being fully reimbursed for the new pump (for the 300) if it is broken.

As per the addage of, 'Let the buyer beware', that insinuates that the seller is untrustworthy, and we all tend to trust each other here in our own house.

Give it a few days, hopefully there were just misunderstandings, he's caught up in family holiday stuff, and will get back and make things right.

Last edited:

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I'm one for giving someone around a holiday a little leeway- maybe on vacation- no phone access or just dealing with family/ situation, thinking that "I'll take care of this tomorrow/Monday"- hopefully I'm right- unless he's the same guy that bought the yellow tangs:mad:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Not the same person as the tang person. No further discussion there, lets keep this on thread. :)

Mejia.j

NJRC Member
I appreciate you all for the help. I agree i should of inspected it better. being inside a unoccupied residence i wanted to make the stay as swift as possible. It was very dirty and could barely even see the red sea logo. I never had any problems with anyone on any of the forums. MARSH, or WAMAS, just here. I tried cleaning every little piece with a toothbrush and a vinegar bath and nothing. I should of been more aware. But lesson learnt. Won’t happen again.

no one in a club should be misleading anyone. intentionally or not, it would be simple for him to take it back for a full refund. he even got a free cleaning out of it. or if the buyer is happy to take it at a mutually agreed upon adjusted price that fits the actual goods. but its not cool to ghost the buyer at this point and say let the buyer beware imo. hopefully the seller can make it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.