• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Scammer on NJREEFERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut my hand open that evening trying to cut my sock holders out to install a clarisea. Spent the whole night in the ER waiting to get stitched up then caught up with the holiday. Anyway, I ran the skimmer in a bucket right before he picked it up and it was running fine (it had been running like a champ up to a week prior). It was sold and shipped to me as a 600. Never thought otherwise. I’ve been running it this whole time thinking it was a 600. It seems going back through texts, he texted 8 hours after he picked it up to say it doesn’t work, which I find it very odd because he had a chance to check if it runs when he picked it up or you’d at least think to check as soon as you get home (takes 2 seconds to plug into an outlet). I’ve been around here for quite some time and have dealt with SEVERAL members with no issues and give out free items/tanks all the time. So not entirely sure since I tested it before he picked it up. Let me know what y’all think

Attachments

• 00F24C73-B615-4A57-83CA-D87CD1B339BC.png
    00F24C73-B615-4A57-83CA-D87CD1B339BC.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 47

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks for the reply, figured it was something holiday related but didn't realize you tried to amputate your thumb as well
That initial shot in the ER is a zinger.
Keep it clean and good luck on the healing.

Mejia.j

NJRC Member
Cut my hand open that evening trying to cut my sock holders out to install a clarisea. Spent the whole night in the ER waiting to get stitched up then caught up with the holiday. Anyway, I ran the skimmer in a bucket right before he picked it up and it was running fine (it had been running like a champ up to a week prior). It was sold and shipped to me as a 600. Never thought otherwise. I’ve been running it this whole time thinking it was a 600. It seems going back through texts, he texted 8 hours after he picked it up to say it doesn’t work, which I find it very odd because he had a chance to check if it runs when he picked it up or you’d at least think to check as soon as you get home (takes 2 seconds to plug into an outlet). I’ve been around here for quite some time and have dealt with SEVERAL members with no issues and give out free items/tanks all the time. So not entirely sure since I tested it before he picked it up. Let me know what y’all think
First of, i spent 2 hours driving back and forth to you. The skimmer was really dirty full of snail. After i picked it up from you i spent the rest of the day looking for new years decorations and buying everything for new years. When i got home the first thing i did was test it. Second of all, i picked it up at 1 and by 6oclock i had texted you it was not the right skimmer and it was not working. After an hour drive and some errands. Check the text times. After cleaning it up and taking it apart is when i saw that the pump and the lid both are of an rsk 300. I even sent you the video of it in the bucket plugged in. And nothing. I tried a citric bath. And brushed everything and nothing.

Mejia.j

NJRC Member
All of this could of been avoided would you have sent a message. We could of figure something out. But all you’ve done is ghosting me since i told you it did not work.

Mejia.j

NJRC Member
Yup I was just a tad busy in the ER making sure I didn’t lose my thumb….
I get that, and it sucks you almost lost a thumb. But you were logged in NJReefers. That’s why i pm you here also. Anyway, what do you want to do about the skimmer?

Salted

NJRC Member
I think that looks like cyano on your hand. I’d soak that in some chemiclean.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Not an official moderation, as the transaction is between two private parties.
A suggestion to defuse the upcoming bombs.

MIke: Mejia is getting back into the hobby. Bought an item from a trusted member, verifying it was what he was buying, and got the wrong item. In recontacting you, not knowing of your accident, felt he was ghosted. It's the main thing here and is understandable.

Mejia: MIke has a good rep here and explains he believed the skimmer was the 600. Even if he saw the texts and messages he may have been too emotionally exhausted and hospital pain/wait that he figured he'd reply later. Thats understandable.

It's simply bad timing. Understand and empathize and work it out as friends, all groovie.
Or escalate into a mess***.

***If either choose to escalate, I'd suggest it officially be done via trial by combat during the next 'in person meet'.
Kiddie pool, pudding or Jello - probably pudding, togas, big Hulk gloves that yell 'Smash' when you connect. Winner get skimmer or equivalent.
Will be the best f'n meet EVER.

Mejia.j

NJRC Member
Not an official moderation, as the transaction is between two private parties.
A suggestion to defuse the upcoming bombs.

MIke: Mejia is getting back into the hobby. Bought an item from a trusted member, verifying it was what he was buying, and got the wrong item. In recontacting you, not knowing of your accident, felt he was ghosted. It's the main thing here and is understandable.

Mejia: MIke has a good rep here and explains he believed the skimmer was the 600. Even if he saw the texts and messages he may have been too emotionally exhausted and hospital pain/wait that he figured he'd reply later. Thats understandable.

It's simply bad timing. Understand and empathize and work it out as friends, all groovie.
Or escalate into a mess***.

***If either choose to escalate, I'd suggest it officially be done via trial by combat during the next 'in person meet'.
Kiddie pool, pudding or Jello - probably pudding, togas, big Hulk gloves that yell 'Smash' when you connect. Winner get skimmer or equivalent.
Will be the best f'n meet EVER.
I agree with the miscommunication and bad timing of events. I’m just trying to resolve this and call it a day.

Lol each meeting should have something like that. No more raffle just a free for all pudding war

Salted

NJRC Member
Maybe his thumbs fell off
Cyano is tough to beat.

Anyway, my $.02 on this. I would find it hard to believe that @Miketc17 purposely and intentionally misrepresented the skimmer, and sold it as a 600 unknowingly. But in the end it's not the item @Mejia.j was looking tp purchase, so haggling over a price adjustment is pointless. Return the skimmer, return the money and lets put this behind us please.

Taylor ham for everyone.

Mejia.j

NJRC Member
Cyano is tough to beat.

Anyway, my $.02 on this. I would find it hard to believe that @Miketc17 purposely and intentionally misrepresented the skimmer, and sold it as a 600 unknowingly. But in the end it's not the item @Mejia.j was looking tp purchase, so haggling over a price adjustment is pointless. Return the skimmer, return the money and lets put this behind us please.

Taylor ham for everyone.
That’s an option but this man refuses to agree to anything

Cyano is tough to beat.

Taylor ham for everyone.
Lets not turn this thread into a Taylor Ham/Pork Roll discussion! :oo:

@Mejia.j - I personally have dealt with @Miketc17 and this is not his MO. Impellers are notorious for needing a "kickstart" and might just be a little servicing to get it up and running. Did you talk to @Salted in taking a look at the unit? The more we come across problems (which NEVER happens in reefing - everything ALWAYS goes perfect! *insert eyeroll(s) here*), the more we learn and then become better reefers. We all pay it forward here and i am sure Mike will get this worked out. i just had to do same with my own skimmer - cleaned and serviced it and put back in sump, then had to take it back out again, service it again to get the pump working.

Mejia.j

NJRC Member
@Mejia.j - I personally have dealt with @Miketc17 and this is not his MO. Impellers are notorious for needing a "kickstart" and might just be a little servicing to get it up and running. Did you talk to @Salted in taking a look at the unit? The more we come across problems (which NEVER happens in reefing - everything ALWAYS goes perfect! *insert eyeroll(s) here*), the more we learn and then become better reefers. We all pay it forward here and i am sure Mike will get this worked out. i just had to do same with my own skimmer - cleaned and serviced it and put back in sump, then had to take it back out again, service it again to get the pump working.
I understand the issue with the skimmer not working, but the misleading info of selling the wrong model pump. And this skimmer hadn’t seen water in a while. When I took it home everything was dry as the Sahara dessert. But he insisted everything was working and nothing was missing from the get go. Which it was not. I removed all the components down to the impeller shaft cleaned it and reassembled and nothing.

Not sure what happened here... But I will say this - I've bought/sold/traded a few things with Miketc17 before. Nice guy. Never had any issues and communication was always spot on. I know he was in the process of moving the last time I talked to him. Maybe that has something to do with it? Hope it all gets worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.