• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

South Jersey

Winslow Township here

And Dominic and I had a big blow up about the club a few years back. He wouldn't even let me leave some membership flyers for the club there. Still he does have a good selection of fish so i do still visit

BobCReef said:
Winslow Township here

And Dominic and I had a big blow up about the club a few years back. He wouldn't even let me leave some membership flyers for the club there. Still he does have a good selection of fish so i do still visit

Yea, I don't get the guy. He is very knowledgable but has a poor sense of "sales". He obviously can run the store fine or so it would appear, but it's the little things like giving 10% off to clubs and things of this nature that bring you way more traffic and earnings that he just doesn't get. What could be better advertising then satisfied customers in the electronic age??? Not only that, but he has lost some customers because of this. I know he has lost a few hundred a week in profit (not gross) from me at least in the last couple of months.

Oh well, as long as ILC is around and kicking and Ed keeps up the fantastic job he's been recently doing I could care less. Now if only I could get another tank setup in the mean time of the big tank delivery I'd be a happy guy. I'm going through coral purchase withdraw.

Carlo

we were going to ac like 2 times a month for salt and whatnot he was from my area eht seemed like the nices store around TILL WE WENT TO ILC last week blows every store in the area away i also was telling ac that we were njreef members was like SO WHAT WHO ARE THEY anyway my 2 cents on the ac thing dont get me wrong he does have some real nice prices on things but the friendlyness well just didnt feel it

I had been dealing with Dominic for probably about 15 or more years with my south american cichlids, and my discus. But the past few years, he has gotten a little too big for his britches, so-to-speak.

I still go in there because my mother-in-law lives over in Deptford, but with Ed doing such a bang-up job over at ILC, he has been getting nearly all my money lately!

Like i said AC has good fish and i still buy alot there. Dom treats me nice enough now. I just wish he would be more supportive of the club. I wasn't asking for a discount just to put membership flyers there. After our disagreement we got toegether and talked it out. I still buy more there than anywhere else.

Dominic might get the early bird, but Ed will end up winning the customer over and in the long run. ILC is going to put a hurting on AC unless Dominic changes his tune.

Don't get me wrong. I've never had a bad encounter with Dominic and he has done some nice stuff for me like selling my corals out of the nano at the same price as the normal stock even though the nano corals were superior. I also like the layout of the drygood section at AC better then ILC for now.

In the end it comes down to attitude and the people working in the store. ILC has far superior people working in the store with much more knowledge. Ask Ed or JT a question about a fish or coral and bamn you get an answer. At AC half the time the employees need to check a book to answer the question (ie. is it a reef safe fish) which isn't ideal. I could do that myself. :) I like to be able to tell a sale person I'm looking for something unusual that will not bother my corals or inverts and have them scan the tanks and show you what your options are. It's tough to do that at AC unless you catch Dominic himself otherwise...

The only concern I have for ILC is The Hidden Reef opening up their tank room. It looks massive and they could have a LOT of stock which could make it more of a one-stop shop for many. I myself enjoy the smaller "mom and pop" type shops run by people who care and greet you by name when you walk in. It certainly doesn't hurt that Ed is doing all these specials and discounts to which I imagine to a degree is to fend off THR and keep very loyal customers.

With the selection at hand and the new weekend discounts given by ILC it's a no-brainer in my book where to go.

My 2 cents,
Carlo

PS I've made enough posts lately about ILC, maybe I should talk to Ed about getting a salary for online advertising liason. :) Ed and the crew at ILC really are in a different class then any other fish/coral store around!

I like dominic. He has always treated me well and he is very knowledgable. I usually deal directly with him. His stock is great too.

I just ordered a Biocube 8. Should be in tomorrow!!! I cannot wait to get it!!!!!!

Anyone else have one of these? If so, please post a pic. i would like to get some ideas.

Thanks

Another shout out for Cherry Hill.

The old Hidden Reef was the best store in the area hands down. Haven't been to the new place yet.

Personally, I still prefer Aquarium Center to In Living Color because of the much better selection of dry goods. AC does seem to cater more to the new hobbyist rather than the seasoned veteran, which is probably why they are not interested in supporting the club. I appreciate that ILC is supporting the club though so I will give them at least some of my business.

I have to say i never got a bad fish at AC. I think ILC has some catching up to do compared to AC in the fish department. Yea ILC has more variety but alot of dead fiah in the tanks when i was in. The price has to be marked somewhere to. That's an area AC is much better at. ILC has a much better coral selection so they score there. I think you will find both stores will do well because each has different strengths

Good points Bob. I have to say that the prices at AC are much better. I also like the fact that you can go in there and look at tanks (which you cannot do at ILC) and their drygoods section is way better. Plus, the fishroom is really huge compared to any other store in this immediate area.

Ed is making a tank display room downstairs. It is slightly bigger then what AC uses to display tanks. I'm really not sure AC has a bigger fish selection. Only 2 isles at AC are salt and the rest is not. At ILC upstairs is all salt while downstairs is not. Overall it's about a tie on fish.

AC does have a bigger dry good section for now. Wait till you see what ILC is doing downstairs. And no I'm not talking about the "present" downstairs where the fish tanks are but a whole nother area altogether. :)

Carlo

Marlton here.. always glad to see that there are so many of us, my wife thinks i am the only one crazy enough to spend this much on fish.