• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Steam Punk Lamp

Paul B

NJRC Member
This one I need an opinion on before I finish it. It is solid brass and I still have to put a switch in it. I was thinking of adding another bulb, like the last blow torch light on a brass pipe coming out of the base but on top. It would also have a dual function switch like the last one. Or should I just leave it like it is. It has a cool vintage looking wrapped filament bulb in it but would only be good for a minimum amount of light. I think it's 40 watts.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am almost finished with another SteamPunk lamp. I know I keep saying this, but this new one is my favorite so far. It seems they are all my favorite as I am building them.

I found out that the art show they will be in is a month long. During the show people can bid on the items and buy them after the month. I am kind of excited about it and am anxious to know what people say about them.

I think they are extremely cool. My dream is to have a Speakeasy type bar/man cave one day. These types of lights would look really cool in it.

I guess one concern people might have would be the safety of using the light since it's a one of a kind and not tested in a lab. I'd be nervous I would leave it on and forget it and it would cause a fire. You might have to come up with a warning or something just to save your ass.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have been an A Rated, Master, Commercial/Industrial Electrician in Manhattan for 40 years, now retired. There is no higher credentials for electrician than I have.
I lit up the top of the Empire State building, re built all the machine rooms in the Chrysler Building, installed the lightning rods on the World trade center and worked on many new construction buildings in New York City etc. I can probably make a lamp that doesn't explode. But I could be wrong. :eek:

This is me hanging off the top of the Plaza Hotel. That is snow covered Central Park below me. And the other picture I am Cad welding on a NYC garbage incinerator.

Paul B

NJRC Member
And I appreciate your concerns Altohombre. :D Thank you for posting and you are correct. If one of these lamps caught fire, I would be in trouble, :eek:

This is the light I built that is over my 6' long tank. The LEDs are mounted on copper tubing and it is a water cooled fixture with a radiator and all. Now this is something I would be worried about and I would never sell something like this :confused:

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
This new project is about half finished. It still needs the upper structure which will hold the "pull chain" that is coming from a hole in the bottle. That is not the correct bulb which will be a long thin one and it needs paint and antiquing. I think it will come out "interesting" if nothing else.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am very proud of this one. I just finished it. It has a long thin bulb and you turn it on by pulling down on the lead ball.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thanks, I was going for seriously awesome but sometimes come up with detritus. :confused:

I am trying to design the next one, but so far I got nothing. :huh:

Paul B

NJRC Member
For most of these I purposely rusted the new pipes by first washing them to remove the oil, then I brushed on a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, vinegar and salt. That combination starts to rust metal immediately. After a while, like 2 hours, I dry them with a heat gun and spray them with a clear coating.

How about one that has a ton of ways that you could turn it on, but only one is the right one and it's the least apparent.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I think I could do that. But once you figure it out, wouldn't it be mundane to have those other ways to do it.