• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sunny's 350G build (was 150)

I hear you, John. I am looking at different combos. I think I have my dusk and dawn combo identified. Also, is it me or the fans on this fixture are LOUD. I mean LLOOUUDD.

Indeed they are. I definitely here them over everything else in my system, and I run open top so they are more noticeable.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
They are programmed to run the entire time any lamp is on. So 12 hrs

So you are running the fixture for 12 hours. I am running it for 9 hours and using my retro for dusk and dawn. Which means that all 8 bulbs are on when fixture is on for 9 hours. I run fan for 10 hours.

My room is pretty lit up when the lights turn on so instead of 2 bulbs for dawn/dusk I run 6.
6 blue+ at 10am-10pm
2 coral+ 12p-8p
The fans actually run for about 30 min longer after the lights are out.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Added some new fish after a long hiatus

Added a few anthias, wrasses and Scribbled angel after a long time. Immediately the blueface went bonkers on the scribbled. Constant nipping and chasing. I was not sure if scribbled will make it till the morning. This is when I saw the boss angel of the tank stepping up to curb the fight. Yes, my regal swam up to the blueface and I guess gave it an offer he could not refuse. There is no more chasing at this time. Very amazing to experience this kind of bossiness. The blueface does try every now and then to pay a visit to the scribbled, but the regal stands guard.

Just so cool to see this.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
What kind of anthias did you get sunny? Really cool about the angel behavior. It's amazing the things we get to see in our tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
What kind of anthias did you get sunny? Really cool about the angel behavior. It's amazing the things we get to see in our tanks.

Nothing fancy, just some Lyretails and Bimacs.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Here are some pics under new lights.

20151019_165335_zps8h3zr2ou.jpg

20151019_165345_zpsmzahjtdg.jpg

20151019_165356_zpspvpbpyix.jpg

Sunny

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Beautiful sunny! Is that the same combo from the contest or did you change it?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
OMG - Sometimes, efficient can be too efficient.

So I was home sick today lying on my couch looking at the tank and I notice my Toxic Green Tort colony is not happy. I move up closer and see it is STNing like there is no tomorrow. What happened here? Everything else looks fine but I can see all white body inside out. Hmm, now I am pi$$ed.

I start testing the water parameters. Nitrate, PO4 are 0. Ca is at 450. Alk is reading 6.8. WHAT??? 6.8? I test ALK and Ca twice a month at least. How can ALK be at 6.8? It was at 9.0 2 weeks ago. This is a Sailfert Kit I test with. I am in disbelief and run out to purchase another test kit. Wife is on my case "You are sick, you took a day off where are you going? "My corals are sick. I have to do something.." Oh Well.

I buy a new Sailfert test kit and test Alk again. Ha! it is indeed a 6.8/7. WTF happened here? I start to dig further. I dose using BRS pumps which are controlled by my Apex. I check the dosing time and they have not changed in months. I test the pumps and they are dosing fine as well. Stumped not sure what happened I look at the outlet for Alk dosing in Apex. It says OFF if pH > 8.29. Hmm. I remember putting that in there 2 years ago just to avoid over dosing ALK. But my pH is always at 8.2 - 8.23. Curious I check the pH in last 7 days and I find out it is 8.3 - 8.33 :eek:

How is that possible? Alk is at 7 and pH is at 8.3? Something is not right here. What can it be? What changed?

Skimmer and Lights. It cannot be the lights because I know since changing to T5 my corals have not adapted to them yet. So the corals are not happier for sure to use up more ALK. I know this because my Ca levels were at 500 2 weeks ago so corals were not using any Ca for the first 2 weeks after changing the lights. This is when ALK was at 9.0 where I normally keep it.

Well, it has to be the skimmer. The skimmer is performing so well that there is a increased amount of oxygen in the tank. It is also skimming a bit wet than my SRO 8000xp. This is raising the pH to over 8.3 and as a result at least for past 1 week Apex is not dosing any ALK.

Viola! I never thought changing the skimmer will cause ALK headaches.

I hope no other colony shows sighs of stress. I might loose the toxic green tort colony though :-/

Sunny

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I hope things turn around for you sunny! Glad you figured it out sooner than later, I don't know if I would have connected the dots that quickly.

Good job zeroing in on that. I never would have that's for sure. I'm sure everything will come out ok. As for the tort I think that was one of the pieces I got from Pete(zippy) who infirm got it from you. So I can def hook you up with some if you lose it. Just got to figure out which one it is.