• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank frustrations still

I few months ago I posted a problem with not having clear water, but still haven't found a solution. I can always see stuff floating around. It looks like micro bubbles but it is not. I have tried turning off all circulation for 30 min or so, and I can see it just suspend in the water column. Usually on a water change I vacuum the sump clean and replace the water there. I can see it getting sucked into the power heads then blown back out. I blow the rocks off about an hr before every water change and I once did a 50% water change and still no help.
Info on the tank:
AGA 90RR
seio 2600 wide open (right back corner pointed to left front corner)
seio 1500 wide open (left back corner pointed to right front corner)
Mag 9 return about 70%
plenty of surface movement
150 micron filter sock
ASM G3 (another sock on output)
phos and carbon reactors
ca 480
alk 9
ph 8.1
very lightly stocked with fish
moderately stocked with mixed corals
20gal RO water change every 12-14 days
also it is a bare bottom

I had this same problem with my 65 gal before I upgraded over a year ago, since the upgrade nothing from the 65 was reused including the RO unit. So I have no idea what the link could be.

I also tried that Kent clearing stuff, no luck

I managed to get pictures this time posting, very surprised the camera could focus on it. BTW, there are no scratches on the glass, everything you see is in the water column.

Any questions please ask.
Any suggestions, thanks in advance.

mmmmm cat dandruff......I have 4 in muffin fans on my canopy. I just bought the filters at McMaster Carr to fit the fans. Plus some extra filters. You can just rinse them in water.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Could it be sediment coming off your LR??? When you do your next water change get a small powerhead or turkey baster and blow off all the rocks, then do your water change. Continue to do this each water change and you should see an improvement over time. I am always getting sediment that just comes off the LR and blows around the water column.

dnov99 said:
Could it be sediment coming off your LR??? When you do your next water change get a small powerhead or turkey baster and blow off all the rocks, then do your water change. Continue to do this each water change and you should see an improvement over time. I am always getting sediment that just comes off the LR and blows around the water column.

I always blow off my rocks before a water change

stcreef said:
mmmmm cat dandruff......I have 4 in muffin fans on my canopy. I just bought the filters at McMaster Carr to fit the fans. Plus some extra filters. You can just rinse them in water.

Maybe I will steal a pair of her stockings ;D

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
TheGuyFromNJ said:
dnov99 said:

I always blow off my rocks before a water change

And does alot of sediment come off the rock??? If so I think that is your issue.

I can bring you over a 25,10 or 5 micron bag.. i'd have to look for any thing above 25 microns if you want me to

ds4x4 said:
I can bring you over a 25,10 or 5 micron bag.. i'd have to look for any thing above 25 microns if you want me to

It might be worth a shot to take out what is already in there. You have to make your way over here anyway.

Thanks!

I thought I would post an update. I put filters on the intake fans. I used heater filters cut down and mounted it on the outside of the canopy. I have also done 2 water changes since I first posted. I am also skimming pretty wet.

No luck. I can still see just as much stuff in the water as before.

Any other suggestions out there?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Can you skim the surface some how in the DT. Usually, done with a hang-on skimmer and adapter but I am sure there are other methods. Hopefully, someone here can advise.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What kind of sand do you have and how much flow are you running? Are you using filter sock(s)? Is there an FTS somewhere?

Phyl said:
What kind of sand do you have and how much flow are you running? Are you using filter sock(s)? Is there an FTS somewhere?

BB tank. about 5000gph total flow. 150 micron sock changed every 2 days. I don't have a fts but I can post one in a few.