• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank frustrations still

Ok since it's in the water column and your Ca now matches your alk. Your Mg is near target but could stand to be raised just a tad (say 1350-1400). Then all 3 params would be balanced and it shouldn't be calcium precipitation. Ozone might work if diatom filter doesn't help. Strange to see that though. Any other shots so we can see more clearly?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
From reading all this, I am not totally convinced this isn't tiny tiny air bubbles being put in the display water from the return pump.

I battled that exact problem for 3 months, then one day replaced all my return piping and the problem was solved.

pgordemer said:
From reading all this, I am not totally convinced this isn't tiny tiny air bubbles being put in the display water from the return pump.

I battled that exact problem for 3 months, then one day replaced all my return piping and the problem was solved.

I was thinking the same thing a long while ago, so I took out all the plumbing and replaced everything with hard plumbing, and replaced the return pump too. I also plugged the original siphon break on the return and drilled it lower.
Also If I take a sample of water and put it in a glass and let it sit for a few hours, the stuff is still in suspension in the glass.

calaxa said:
Ok since it's in the water column and your Ca now matches your alk. Your Mg is near target but could stand to be raised just a tad (say 1350-1400). Then all 3 params would be balanced and it shouldn't be calcium precipitation. Ozone might work if diatom filter doesn't help. Strange to see that though. Any other shots so we can see more clearly?
Rather than wasting bandwidth I posted the pics on my photobucket: http://photobucket.com/theguyfromnj

mott768 said:
Joe, what salt are you using? Also are you using a clip on fan like this on your sump or tank ?

http://www.nextag.com/Atlantic-Breeze-6-Personal-71233187/prices-html

The reason I ask is I had the same issue and it was due to the fan's coating coming off and being blown into the sump.

I have also seen issue's like yours with certain salt mixes and the containers it was being stored in.

I don't have a fan on the sump, the only fans are in the canopy and they have filters on them.
I was using Reef Crystals, up until about 6 months ago, now I am using Oceanic. I usually keep it stored in its original bucket.

Here's something for you to try, mix up some fresh batch of saltwater like you normally would, then take a clear glass fill it with the water and see if you see the same stuff floating in the glass.

you don't happen to have won brothers titanium heaters do you? i had them and they leaked a white substance into my DT.

another idea what kind of filter socks do you have? are they the monofilament kind? how old are they? how often have they been washed? maybe they are actually breaking down and that's whats causing this?

just a couple ideas that haven't been asked about yet...

it's not the filters it was going on before there use. i do know that much about it.. Maybe it's that Oceanic salt joe.. The bucket i used in the big tank precipitated out alot of crap and there's hard white calcification all over the place and on my heaters

ds...oceanic has very high calcium levels and very low alk. I use it from time to time since my alk is too high but I want to increase calcium without using calcium chloride.

well that would explain all the calcium buildup in the over flows and the heaters.. I was just running the tank fallow while i added stuff to it.

mott768 said:
Here's something for you to try, mix up some fresh batch of saltwater like you normally would, then take a clear glass fill it with the water and see if you see the same stuff floating in the glass.

Looks clear.

I am going to pick up a diatom filter today and see if that helps any.

Anyone that is close is more than welcome to stop by and see this problem first hand.

Considering I have been dealing with this problem since my 65gal almost 3 years ago. I guess you could say in between various solutions there were a few months where nothing was done to try and correct it. Nothing didn't help, so now it is time to try something again.

you're right. I was just thinking that if its live its feeding so if you stopped the water changes and additives, etc. there is a chance that it may deplete its chemical food source and die off (before the rest of the tank) - but since you have already done that, that's a really bad guess on my part. If its not live but dead (i guess a microscope could help with that one), its pretty obvious that its not growing or feeding so its from your environment (in tank or out) so if it was me. and I kept tanks before I had this problem - I'd be trying to think if I made any (in tank or out) change to the environment right around the time that I first noticed the problem.

I will post a little history. I started with a 20, then I moved to a new apartment, I upgraded to a 30 with an overflow box. Tank looked crystal clear. I upgraded again to a 65 with that same overflow box and the same LR and corals, the same RO, everything was exactly the same as the 30. But the tank had this stuff in it. I changed filtration and pumps, added a glass tank and sump cover, but still no help. I then upgraded to a 90RR, added the LR + 100lbs and corals, got a new RO/DI, got a new mixing can for the water changes, new sump, all new filter socks, new skimmer, new lights, new heater, and a new return pump and mixing pump, and new power heads. That was over 2 years ago. Still dealing with the problem.

If you look through the thread you will see I have tried everything under the sun, I am completely out of ideas, but it frustrates me every time I look at the tank.

I am going to pick up a diatom filter today and see if that helps, if not then I'm not sure what else to try.

So yesterday I picked up a Vortex XL diatom filter (got a good deal on it too!). I set it up and charged it exactly as the directions said. I ran it over night for about 12 hours. This morning the stuff was still there. I turned off all the pumps and power heads for about 2 hours, this is what I see.

This is not stuff on the glass.

TheGuyFromNJ said:
I few months ago I posted a problem with not having clear water, but still haven't found a solution. I can always see stuff floating around. It looks like micro bubbles but it is not...
Info on the tank:

ca 480
alk 9
ph 8.1

With a CA reading of 480 my bet is that it's calcium percipitating from the water column. Lower your CA 400-420ppm and see if it clears up. Also check out this article by Randy Holmes Farley.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php

Any chance you aded the ca reactor right before the problem started (I guess with the 65 upgrade)?

Regardless, best of luck and keep trying - I hope you solve the riddle soon.