• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

There's a new store coming RIGHT NEAR YOU!

DiazE said:
He should take over the spot at Animals and Things in Woodbridge, NJ; the place has potential, but the management is pitiful. :(

yeah but that would put he or she in direct competition with AqOb (and really not that far from the other LFS in central jersey)....yeah good luck with that!

GregW said:
OK. OK. I can be somewhat close to you but you have to wait two days after they get a delivery.

;D Thank you, Greg. See, now I'm smiling again.

But even Toms River is close enough for me.

What about Jackson?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think Jackson is too far off of any major artery (though I wouldn't mind for personal reasons). It is too easy to get lost around here for the "out of towners".

The best location should be one with easy access from major highways with plenty of parking. Other than that it's all about customer service, healthy livestock with variety, knowledgeable staff and competitive pricing. I don't think distance is as big of an issue as people make it out to be. We have daily traffic coming from Manhattan to visit our store, they drive the 30-40 miles, pay the $25 or so in tolls to get here...I'd even venture to say that there are more people from the Manhattan group that visit this store than from the New Jersey group. It's certainly not because we are in a location that is convenient to them, but because of the other things I mentioned. So my suggestion is to knock location down a rung and begin by building a friendly, knowledgeable staff, then you could put the store in Cape May next to the Coast Guard station and still have them coming in droves.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Reefers said:
you could put the store in Cape May next to the Coast Guard station and still have them coming in droves.

HEY NOW THERE'S AN IDEA!!!!!!!!

Not for nothing, but being close to another store isn't exactly a bad thing. It gives people a reason to travel to that location if they can hit two spots instead of just one.

I would say that this kind of hobby the competition isn't so much about which stores are close as it is with which stores are good.

I'd be more likely to go to a store down south if it was close to another. Being close to Trop would actually be an amazing location. Think about it... you'll definitely have a lower price and people like me who live further north would be more likely to take a trip if I could "kill two birds with one tank of gas.."

I wish there was a store in Northern Northern New Jersey, seems like lots of the other people even more north than me, example Rockaway (not sure if anyone is from there, but it's pretty north), so I think that one up north north would be nice, but seems like there is more business in the South. If I were setting up a store I would put I south enough to be far away from AqOb as to accomodate the Southernest people, and not to take toooo much business from Will at AO.

Steve

I completely agree with Mike; alot of businesses do it. Show me a Home Depot and I'll show you a Lowes within a mile of it. Same thing with Best buy and circuit city. Tropiquarium is a great store that attracts alot of people, so an ideal location would be a short driving distance from them, maybe one of those shopping centers off of exit 100 on the GSP.

Also if this is a "high-end" reef store similar to Atlantis, fragfarmer,upscales, etc, then definitely should consider tapping into the online market. I bet you alot of people who've purchased from these stores can't even tell you what city the storefront is located in. Where is Austin aqua farms anyway? :)

But if it came to a vote, I'm with Wendy ... open a store up in the Oak Glenn development of Howell ... I'll work there for store credit :)

my family has a store in rt 18 market, but the market is closing this week... have to move the store... what a pain in the a$$. it's called MIKE'S PLACE..anyone ever been there?

Phyl said:
... looking to open a high end reef store in Ocean County and is trying to pin down the ideal spot. The location would be all that much better if it was within close proximity to the parkway (< 5mi) and between mile marker 72 and 90....

All jokes aside, I honestly do believe that between Toms River and Forked River would be prime locations for such a store.

I know that as of recently a whole bunch of Linens and Things stores have closed in our areas. Ours did. Would a store that size be too big for this entrepreneur?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Unfortunately those stores are usually in prime locations with high rent, so I doubt they would make suitable space. Off the beaten path is ok as long as it isn't difficult to find or get to. Take a look at the Hidden Reef... back bumbleflock road in the middle of Nowheresville, PA. You get HUGE space in Nowheresville for the money.

Phyl said:
.. back bumbleflock road in the middle of Nowheresville, PA. You get HUGE space in Nowheresville for the money.

ROFLOL Good point, Phyl. No, GREAT point! Tells you how much I know about starting a business. :-[

malulu

NJRC Member
you also need to consider a store location conviniencely in a more population density area - too far off suburban area would get less customers...

yes, we can all say, if it is good, i will still go... (may be once a month? or twice a month)?

but how often we just *conveniencsly* stop-by/re-route to a LFS just *sort of on the way* back-from work? A LOTS!

;D

JerseyWendy said:
What about in Howell? I'm not biased or anything, but seriously, we only have a single pet shop here, and they don't even sell saltwater fish. Their supplies are VERY limited, too.

Tons of stripmalls here as well. ;D

Best of all, Howell is easily accessible from either the Parkway or Turnpike VIA I-195. I didn't want to mention Rt.9, but that runs right through here, too.

Way to leave out my Petco. ::) :mad: :'( :p