• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

There's a new store coming RIGHT NEAR YOU!

Frankly, I think a store in Middletown would be the best option. Right off of Rt. 35. You split the difference between Trop and AO/northern stores that way. You're in a HIGHLY trafficked area. Etc., etc. I always thought that an aquatics store would do great right on the main drag of 35 through Middletown.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jonathan. said:
Frankly, I think a store in Middletown would be the best option. Right off of Rt. 35. You split the difference between Trop and AO/northern stores that way. You're in a HIGHLY trafficked area. Etc., etc. I always thought that an aquatics store would do great right on the main drag of 35 through Middletown.

I quoted this, but to everyone else who recommended a north/central location: The OP said a location in Ocean County between mile markers 72 and 90 on the Parkway.

Phyl said:
So where would that be? I've been approached by an entrepreneur who is looking to open a high end reef store in Ocean County and is trying to pin down the ideal spot. The location would be all that much better if it was within close proximity to the parkway (< 5mi) and between mile marker 72 and 90.

Please give your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks!

being in middletown i can vouch for the validity of the prior suggestion.... a couple pet stores, but nothing that would compete with a good "reef" store, 36 would be a good location too, and would get alot of passerby shore traffic in the summer months

JohnS_323 said:
jonathan. said:

I quoted this, but to everyone else who recommended a north/central location: The OP said a location in Ocean County between mile markers 72 and 90 on the Parkway.

Phyl said:
So where would that be? I've been approached by an entrepreneur who is looking to open a high end reef store in Ocean County and is trying to pin down the ideal spot. The location would be all that much better if it was within close proximity to the parkway (< 5mi) and between mile marker 72 and 90.

Please give your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks!

I know, I just kind of thinking out loud. Mainly, I was contemplating opening a store with my cousin last summer in the Middletown area. Simply didn't have enough money pocketed away to do it, but, honestly, I think that is a great... great area. Very untapped and filled to the brim with rich people. Frankly, if you run an aquarium service/aquatics store combo there, you'd be raking in the dough, if you ask me.

Ocean County might be a bit cheaper with the initial overhead, but the long term profit, in my opinion, would be much greater in the Middletown area.

Also, I'm about equi-distant to both areas, so I'm not really being biased here. Just that the profit margin in the Middletown area would likely blow away any South Jersey/Ocean County area. While I certainly don't advocate drastically overcharging, you could get away with slightly higher prices (and therefor slightly higher income) in a richer area like Middletown, where people have more money to throw around. Not trying to insult the Ocean County area, but I'm still flabbergasted that there is not a single real reef store in the Middletown area.

I live in Hunterdon County and there is NO stores here now that could mean that there's no demand or it could mean that no one has thought of it yet.But if its going to be in ocean I agree with close to the parkway and maybe ummm.. north as possible. JMHO Bobb