• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tom's 250g+ System Build

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
OK. It took several days but the tank is full and running. I need to add salt, hang lights and hook up the refugium but other than that im done on the major stuff. After i fired up he skimmer i realized the recirc pump (bubble blaster 3000) was just to loud. Iv been running dc pumps for a few years now and you get used to the silence. So, i ordered a controllable RODC 3500s to match this beast of a skimmer. I also have 2 more tunze 6095s on the way which will give me 4 powerheads and the gyre 150. Hopefully in the next few days i can move all the rock from the old tank over to the sump and then the fish.

Talking of fish, heres what i currently have:
Maroon Clown
Tomini Tang
Flame Angle
Long Nose Hawk
Banggai Cardinal
Lyretail Anthias
Yellow Patch Wrasse

My plan is to keep this tank heavily stocked with smaller fish. Over time ill be adding 4/6 anthias and bunch of wrasses. Coral wise this is going to be SPS with a touch of LPS.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We also favor the same stocking idea, smaller fish. Everything looks great.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
What size tank is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tank is 48*30*26. Right around 160 gallons. Iv got 75gallon sump, a 20 gallon fuge and will be adding a 60 gallon frag tank down the road.

Here's some pics of everything running with water

d1a761985c4676fe2053883a9838643e.jpg

fc93ce77d3f37e27e38a5001ed872962.jpg

21a8f576a41f26b77284c9a2f79ccadc.jpg

Fish are all happy in the new home. No sign of any cycle issues from the rock transfer. Diatoms are showing up on the new rock but nitrate is 0 and po4 is 0.04. So far a relatively painless free transfer

Got some frags waiting for me from a guy on RC and will have them shipped in a week or so.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Thanks guys. It's coming together. I need to get some shelving and a small fridge set up in the fishroom. Need to get some co2 for my reactor.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Things are settling in. Got my calc reactor online and been running for a few days. Monitoring alk and calc closely. Also got the apex DOS set up for automated water changes. This thing is a life changer! I'm going to play around with the programming but right now I have it set to change 10 gallons a week Monday thru Friday. That way I have Saturday and Sunday to make new water up etc. Right now it's dosing over a 24hr period but I think I'll end up changing that so it does it over night. Very handy bit of kit, extremely easy to set up and if your in the market for a new doser or are contemplating awc, this is the way to go.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
So far I have around 25 sps frags glued in for grow out. I have a few more on the way and a frag tank coming.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
So. Had the t5 up for a few months now. Growth is really starting to take off. Colors have really improved. Got the frag tank up and running. Carx is dialed in. Time to sit back and watch the 40+ frags iv glues in grow in

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looking good tommy!! I'm pretty jealous of the fish room too.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Wow, tank looks great. Well done on the planning and building, it came together really well.