• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Twisteds 180 starting over

Got my canopy back on!!!
aefc4480-e985-4896.jpg

Twisteds 180 Reef

Thanks Nikki. ATM I'm working in a retro with t5 and led tubes for some pop. I took my icecap fixture apart and since they use slats for the housing I can just downsize it and customize. It should really compleat the tank well when I get it done

Twisteds 180 Reef

Just finished my retro DIY and its on the tank and looking great!
Here's where I started
458d5636-fb5b-99b1.jpg

I get pics when the halides come on
458d5636-fbb1-64ff.jpg

With all the lights on timers I should have a real nice dusk and dawn effect

Twisteds 180 Reef

458d5636-11f5-86f0.jpg

This is halides on. One led tube didn't fire so I'll have to work on it tonight. In person I notice a huge difference. There is a nice glow to some of the corals that wasn't there before.

Twisteds 180 Reef

Now that I've got my tank mostly under control, I'll be vinegar dosing starting tommorrow. Slowly...... ;-)

Twisteds 180 Reef

So if my est volume is 225, and vodka is .1 mil per 25 and vinegar is 8 times that, vodka would be .9 mil so I'm starting with 8.5ish mil?

Twisteds 180 Reef

Ok, so how do you get your anem bubbled?
For the life of me, I cannot get mine to stay bubbled!

Lol. This is the first that's done it for me. The big one I relocated never did. They all have come from a friends tank and in his are bubbled all the time and he has 7 of em and all in different spots. Shade, bright, high and low flow. The one above my bubbled one only bubbles under the blue led time. They always bubble after shiners soaked in selcon though .
458d5636-9e30-3a2e.jpg

Twisteds 180 Reef

Lol. This is the first that's done it for me. The big one I relocated never did. They all have come from a friends tank and in his are bubbled all the time and he has 7 of em and all in different spots. Shade, bright, high and low flow. The one above my bubbled one only bubbles under the blue led time. They always bubble after shiners soaked in selcon though .

Twisteds 180 Reef

OK, So now I have to ask a stupid question. . . Are shiners silversides?

Same thing. I buy the ones that are enriched. I use to think it was water quality that made the bubble but the guy I get mine from is rather Neanderthal about his tank. It's beautiful but usually runs 50 on nitrates and he uses back bay water. No sump just a big old DIY skimmer with a 9" dolomite bed with a plenum. It's been up for about 16 yrs and he still has the same family of nems and do nothing but bubble. I put them in my tank which has better water quality and within a day, no mo

Twisteds 180 Reef

....bubble tip. Today a friend said its all about quality and swears by it so there has to be certain params that everyone that gets bubble tip has in common.

Twisteds 180 Reef

That is a very interesting thought. For the life of me, I cannot get mine to bubble. The last time I had a bubbled anem, I was running my 20g before the 2009 tank crash.

I did feed that one krill, but I have not since done more than target fed my anems with pieces of krill, at most.

Last edited: