• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Welcome, we look forward to having you as a member. I am sure your years of experience will be an asset to the membership.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! My name is Jamie Firsichbaum, proud owner of Global Oceanic Imports. I am a lifelong New Jersey resident and avid reefer! My father introduced me to the hobby at a young age and I've been hooked ever since!( no pun intended :D!) From the age of 15, I have kept a variety of Salt Water tanks from fish only to reefs to aggressive tanks. This almost 20 year labor of love evolved into the creation of my own coral import business. With the help of my family, our office located in Union County NJ is bursting with amazing life from around the globe! Our mission? To provide those who love this hobby as much as we do, stunning and healthy coral and customer service that is second to none! We love to have fellow enthusiasts come visit us and talk about all things marine!
Looking forward to talking to you guys in the threads!
Jamie Firsichbaum
Welcome to the club, where are you located?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Hello everyone My name is Joel Marrero From woodbridge nj I just joined the club. A little bit about myself I only have 1 1/2 year expirence in this hobby and all I can say is that I am in love with this hobby. Last year I was watching a saltwater tank tv show and i said to myself im going to get a tank my self. I didnt really speak to no one about it just went online read some forum and alot of youtube videos and I kind of started on the wrong foot. I went down to englishtown flea market on the hunt for a tank and i found just that a 20 dollar reptile tank all chipped up. took it home and went to animals and things and they recommended me a fluval canister filter and a marineland led fixture and i had a hob skimmer. Being a rookie i did just did that. one year later and nitrates just dont go down always 20+ppm I wonder why? But during that year i went hardcore on the research and i think i have this gig down packed during that year I was purchasing new equipment for this big change. I bought a aqueon sump and was planning on getting that canister out but then i encountered another problem when i was ready for my big day to change the filter my petco stand has a center brace on it and my sump would not only not go in but. I only had a inch of space from the top of tank no room for skimmer. So i sat down and said to myself what am i going to do. The following days i kept looking at that 55 and i said to myself im going to do this the right way so i went on a early christmas shopping spree behind my wife. and this is what i got for my self.
From Aquatic Obsessions I purchased a 90 Gallon Reef Ready tank
Vertex Omega 150
Tunze osmolator Ato
2 mp40es pumps
2 aqua illumnation leds
brs dosing pump currently dosing CA & ALK & MG
Brs dual Reactor GFO & Carbon
Custom Acrylic Sump By advance acrylics
70 lbs of tropic eden reefflakes
Neptune Apex gold edition running wxm awm and breakout box
and I hand built my stand.
Hope i can meet new friends on here since i really dont know anyone that i can ask for advice or have come take a look at my system reccomend stuff to me also If you guys need help on transporting tanks let me know me and my dad own a trucking company willing to help out. thank you hope i didnt write too much.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Joel! You have found a great LFS in Aquatic Obsessions. I'm right across the river from you in Sayreville. I also have a 90 gallon tank....custom 5 foot tank with a 40B sump. I'd suggest starting a "Tale of the Tank" and I'm sure you'll get all the advice you'll need.

Joel, welcome to the club! There are a lot of members with great advice, feel free to ask. I look forward to your tale of the tank....hint, hint. Looks like Christmas has set you off to an excellent start. My advice is to go slow, patience and be consistent/habitual with maintenance. Cheers, Pete.

Welcome to the club Joel, this is a great please to learn and meet a lot of very nice people, looking forward to your tale of a tank.....I'm not that far from you (Elizabeth) and my parents live in Perth Amboy.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Hi Joel, welcome to the club.
If all else equal and you only get one piece of advice from this club IMO this should be it........SLOW, SLOW, SLOW, patience is everything in this hobby along with good maintenance and you will be successful. Good luck can't wait to see the tale of the tank. :)

Hola, People!
I'm Sara, 16 with a knack for writing and animals, and new to the hobby. Well, I say hobby, but really, my blood has been replaced with freshwater. I've been in and out of Freshwater fishkeeping for a while, but jumped back into it a year ago, when I took home disaster survivors. I've been keeping freshwater fish ever since august 2013, and haven't taken a break yet. So now, after being influenced by my step-mom's tank, I want to start fresh in salt. I have a 55g in waiting and have almost all I need to set it up. But the fish I want aren't small enough for that tank. So I want to go bigger. 70 gallons bigger. Someone mentioned to me an idea of turning the 55 into a sump for my to-be 125... only problem is, I would have no idea where to start...
And perhaps, this is the place to learn.

welcome sara! i'd suggest a 120 if your fishy tastes go towards a full blown reef. Bu if you have the 125 already - it's nice a long for tangs. I wanted a 6 foot tank but the wife frowned...haha. Anyways welcome!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Hola, People!
I'm Sara, 16 with a knack for writing and animals, and new to the hobby. Well, I say hobby, but really, my blood has been replaced with freshwater. I've been in and out of Freshwater fishkeeping for a while, but jumped back into it a year ago, when I took home disaster survivors. I've been keeping freshwater fish ever since august 2013, and haven't taken a break yet. So now, after being influenced by my step-mom's tank, I want to start fresh in salt. I have a 55g in waiting and have almost all I need to set it up. But the fish I want aren't small enough for that tank. So I want to go bigger. 70 gallons bigger. Someone mentioned to me an idea of turning the 55 into a sump for my to-be 125... only problem is, I would have no idea where to start...
And perhaps, this is the place to learn.

Welcome. This is definitely a great place to learn. There are a lot of knowledgeable reefers here. Start a "tale of the tank" thread or a thread with your questions I'm sure you will get the answers you are looking for.

Hey all

I started my tank up in April this year and had 2 Clownfish in it for a few months. I had 3 coral frags, but I attended the Frag Swap in Brooklyn and bought about 20 new frags.

I am excited to see my tank grow and develop over the next months and years. I signed up and paid my dues to be a member and hope to gain from all of you as a I learn!

Hello Everyone, my name is Freddy and I live in Old Bridge. I am 46 and have had several saltwater tanks in the past. It's been a couple of years and alot has changed. I now have a 55 gallon that I'm starting back up with. I am looking to go heavy critters and live rock with some fish and corals... I have ordered my equipment and it will be arriving tomorrow. I should have the tank physically together by the Friday and then will add saltwater from my LFS to get things moving. I then will look into getting about 80lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of live sand and make sure it cycles... from there a cleaning crew...
I'm sure I'll be posting alot of questions and reading everything I can... I am def interested in local meetups/swaps...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome to the club, start a tale of the tank and we will try and answer all your questions.