• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What tank has a nice footprint?

What size tank has a nice footprint, that is visually appealing, and would let me keep a yellow tang. That is currently the only large fish that I am interested in. I would prefer a tank that would give me some nice aquascaping options, as my 55g, has be a bit limited, it seems very narrow. Also, where would be a good place to order the tank from online? Just incase I didn't decide to go with Aquatic Obsessions (would be my first time there, since I'm so far north).

Summary incase ya'll don't wanna skim through:

Large"ish" Tank that will let me be able to keep a yellow tang, easily aquascape (and visually appealing). My parents and I were thinking I would upgrade when we moved to our new house sometime this year.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My preference would be something deeper (front to back) than taller (top to bottom). The bigger depth gives you a lot more aquascaping options. I'm not really sure what you're thinking in terms of large"ish" but for me the ideal tank would be something like 72Lx36Dx24H.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Personally, my next tank (dreaming) will be 72x36(or 42)x 30

Thats a 340 @ 36" or 400 @ 42"

Um...I really wasn't looking to go that large, seeing as how I don't think I'd be able to transition froma 55 to a 340+ very well. I'm looking in the 90-180g Range. What size, in that range preferably? Should've said that at the beginning.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
In that case, 48x24x24 is 120g and 72x24x24 is 180g. Both pretty good footprints IMO. I'm not a big fan of anything taller than 24". It makes lighting more expensive and harder getting to the bottom.

I second the 120...that is what I went with from the 55.

It "sounds" a lot bigger, but when you see it - you'll say to yourself - it's the same thing as the 55!

...and lengthwise you'd be correct - except it's twice as deep.

So basically if you can find 48" for your 55 gallon tank in the new house, then just replace it with a 120 (only the tank will be 11 inches deeper).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RichT said:
Personally, my next tank (dreaming) will be 72x36(or 42)x 30

Thats a 340 @ 36" or 400 @ 42"

Talk to Billy before you go down that ULTRA tall road. I think he'd have done differently if he were to do it all again!

I actually think a 120 would be a good idea, I was thinking of going from either the 55 to a 90/120.

This is a bit off topic: What kinds of fish would be able to be kept? Like what big fish should I stay away from, just so I don't get something that'll outgrow my tank.

Back on topic: About that 42" Tall tank, I'm only around 5'11-6' tall (14 yrs old), so I don't think I could really do work, cleaning, etc. towards the bottom of the tank.

phil519 said:
I second the 120...that is what I went with from the 55.

It "sounds" a lot bigger, but when you see it - you'll say to yourself - it's the same thing as the 55!

...and lengthwise you'd be correct - except it's twice as deep.

So basically if you can find 48" for your 55 gallon tank in the new house, then just replace it with a 120 (only the tank will be 11 inches deeper).

I went with the 120 for this reason. There are distinct advantages too. A 48 inch light is cheaper then the 72, you have more options too. There are the two new more cube sized 150 and 200 G tanks that are sweet...I think the one is 4X3 and the other is other 3x3? The 90 is in between the 55 + 120 as far as depth same 4ft length for what it is worth. A 120 would let you keep a yellow tang...most of the websites will give you minimum tank size, it is always fun to check out the fish and see what size, feeding requirements, temperament and so on the fish have. Well if your a geek like most of us anyway. :D

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
If you go with a 120 get one with a single overflow,I have the perfecto with 1 overflow in the corner. AGA puts 2 and I think it looks nasty with 2 in a 48" tank.

Any input on lighting for the 120g? I would really like to venture into SPS, I love my softies/lps, but I'd like to go to "greener pastures"

So, basically:

120g Perfecto Tank (1 Corner Overflow)

I need help on Lighting

I need help on Skimmer

I will build the sump, what size would you suggest? I could possibly turn my 55g into a sump.

Where to get Live Rock, and Sand from? I ordered my LR from Live Aquaria, and the pieces were nice and all, but I didn't think the shapes suited me very well. I also cannot find a LFS with a nice selection of LR besides Absolutely Fish, but yet again I don't feel like breaking my bank.

Would the Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150 x 2 (Running Phosban and Carbon) be enough

If I missed any equiptment, please tell me.

Hey Steve, well you can check out my thread. The other choice you have is the Oceanic Tech tank one center overflow. The 55 might not fit in the stand. I was thinking of doing a DYI 29G works you can get the kit for semi-homemade from a Pittsburgh outfit on ebay. I got an Orca sump 36x12x22 I think it is. Tech stands are nice cuz you can open an end and slide stuff in. Tech tanks have the saphire glass in front..but you do pay for the nice features fyi.

Reefsandrotts told me that over by him in Wharton he purchased a 120g Perfecto Tank for 400$. Aquatic Obsessions sells the Oceanic Tech Tank for 900$. Do you think starfire glass on the front is worth it the extra $500?

Well....I got a helluva deal from Will. Maybe they will go on sale again. For 300 Bucks more it was worth it. You get the better glass in the front, Euro brace, different look on the joints, and the overall look of the tank was important too. My wife and I both like it and I don't expect I will be buying another tank for a while.
The stand is nice because you can open the ends and slide the sump in also or just do maintenance on it. Overall the quality was worth it and it is a lot cheaper then the Elos tanks ;).

Would it be too much trouble to tell me exactly what you bought/price of the:

Stand
Tank

I'm new to the whole "nice tanks" I guess you could call them, what might be Euro Bracing?