• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What tank has a nice footprint?

Last question, for now, does anyone know a website where I can order all of these things from (in the future), seeing as Dr. Foster and Smith doesn't have all of it, and they are the people I usually order from.

SteveReef said:
Would a Starfire Glass front be bad(Lookin at the comment to stay far away from acrylic)...isn't that acrylic or low iron glass?

Oh, and I have been told that I don't need a UV Sterlizer, so anyone care to comment?

Starfire is low iron glass, has nothing to do with acrylic. Acrylic scratches VERY easily.

UV not necessary.

go to mrc"s web site, order your skimmer there. as big a refugium you can fit under there the better, lighting is a personal choice as far as color, but corals grow better at the 10 - 14k range, a closed loop is just as it sounds, you can google it or search the forums here.

SteveReef said:
Last question, for now, does anyone know a website where I can order all of these things from (in the future), seeing as Dr. Foster and Smith doesn't have all of it, and they are the people I usually order from.

www.premiumaquatics.com

A club sponsor and great place to deal with.

Do we get discounts from Premium Aquatics, if so, how would I inquire about it? Also, I noticed they don't sell Koralia Powerheads, any other that you would suggest? I've always used Koralias, how many (other company) would I need for a 120g. What type, seeing as how I know that Koralias has the 1,2,3,4,.

waynes reef said:

This is glass cages....do a google search and see what kind of opinions people have of them.

SteveReef said:
What would be a ball park estimate that I would be spending on:
Lights (Enough to keep SPS)
Skimmer (Enough to handle a Moderate stock)
Tank w/Stand
Powerheads (I was thinking of the new controllable Koralia's w/Wave Maker)
Calcium Reactor
Ro/Di "Machine" (Don't know correct termanology)
x2 Little Fishies Phosban Reactors 1 for Carbon/1 for Phosban
Anything else I"m missing?

In this hobby - it is true you tend to "get what you pay for" - but when listing items for a 120 - one can go all out - or one can go ultra cheap - or one can find some kind of middle ground.

On the low end - this is what I would do:
Light (bulbs included): $317
Retro VHO
PowerHeads (no controller): x3 = $150
Koralia 4
Skimmer: $269
ASM G3

On the high end -
Lighting $1,199:
400W MH Maristar Fixture
Skimmer: $1,237
Deltec AP701
Powerheads: x2 $500
Tunze 6135
AutoTop Off: $200
Tunze Osmolator

There are quite a few 120 threads, and I'd encourage you to take a look at the others to get a sense of what they did.

Yes, and I've been looking at them, and I really love what some of them have done with their tanks. I'd really like to thank sgarron for brining up Premium Aquatics, which, when everything is added together, is almost 1000$ cheaper than marinedepot.

Thanks to every for helping me, and I actually asked a question that wasn't very very stupid.

-Steve

When we do the Premium Aquatics group buy (for members only) - there's a very good discount involved...you could ask on the group buy forum. I'm not sure if I can post it here on the public forum.

actually - I was a big marine depot fan - mainly because of the free shipping and also I think their website is superb. I really dislike the premiumaquatics website - but the prices (as you noted) are better - especially when factoring in our group buys.

SteveReef said:
Oh, and this may sound quite stupid, but that's what questions are for, right? Could someone explain the closed Loop system, I've seen people talk about it, and I've heard it was great, but I have no information on it. I did searches on google, but to no avail.
A closed loop is usually a large external pump, that is plumbed such that it takes water in direct from the tank (skips the sump) and pushes it right back in via pvc plumbing. Some people design it such that the return nozzles are situated on the bottom of the tank (I think danthemanj did this) and others have it blowing from the top. The advantage of such a system is that you can remove the "bulky" powerheads and cords needed to power those powerheads, and also any heat associated with those powerheads, and replace all of them with one single powerful external pump.

The disadvantages of such a set up is that you have a single point of failure - if the CLS fails and you do not notice, then all flow ceases except for your return pump. If you don't have a sump then all flow ceases except maybe an HOB skimmer. In addition, you obviously need to plumb the pvc. It's not a lot more risk - but the reality is the more plumbing outside the tank - the more of a chance a leak could occur.

Some interesting pics of a CLS on a 29 gallon tank: Melev's Reef

SteveReef said:
I"ll check out the Member's forum, and I wonder when the next time it'll be when a Premium Aquatics Group Buy'll come up.

September.

If items are backordered though - it could take longer. You just missed the PA group buy in april.

Oh well it'll take me some time to find a job, or two, and raise around 3000$ for the tank, stand, and all equipment. I contacted Phyl about participating in one sometime in '09.

This is what I've decided to go with:

ASM G-3 Skimmer w/Pump
JBJ Auto Top Off System
TLF Phosban Reactors (2)
Current USA Outer Orbit 48" 2x250w HQI/MH + 4x54w T-5 HO
Premium Reef Supply 100gpd Ro/Di Unit
Hanna PRIMO TDS Meter
Visi Therm Heaters (2)
Refractometer
Current USA 10/HP PRIME CHILLER w/ Dual Thermostat (It gets really hot where the tank will be kept)
Hydor Koralia 4 (3)
Ranco Dual Stange Controller (For Heater/Chiller)
WavySea **PLUS** Ocean Simulation (Anyone have a better wave maker in mind?)

That is more stuff, and yet without group buy prices, is still less than Marine Depot.

-Thanks,
Steve

Those are some good choices. Just keep in mind the Koralia pumps are not meant to be run on a wavemaker, they will burn out pretty quick like that. Also, I don't see a ph monitor on your list. A ph monitor is easier and more accurate than test kits. I woul scrap the Ranco controller and go with a aqua controller jr or reefkeeper 2. They will control your heater/chiller and monitor ph.

sgarron said:
Those are some good choices. Just keep in mind the Koralia pumps are not meant to be run on a wavemaker, they will burn out pretty quick like that. Also, I don't see a ph monitor on your list. A ph monitor is easier and more accurate than test kits. I woul scrap the Ranco controller and go with a aqua controller jr or reefkeeper 2. They will control your heater/chiller and monitor ph.

Yep, and you can run maybe the maybe 2 Koralia full time and then put two MJ900 maker. That is my plan they don't have the GPH flow unless you mod them but they can be put on wave makers. Also the MJ900's use a lot less W then the MJ1200 ... so save some heat and electricity and sacrifice a little flow. I am going with the AC JR during the Sept Group buy. My fuge/sump is 36 will fit under the tank so works well or can put it in my crawlspace.