• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What tank has a nice footprint?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
SteveReef said:
Ooh Boy, didn't know it could do all that, thanks.

Nvm about the wye fitting, I looked it up.

Why is it better than the T?

If you use a Wye and a 45* angle instead of a T, it softens the turn on your drain line and minimizes the reduction in flow. Between that and the oversized piping it's probably a bit like a wearing a belt and suspenders but it gives me a bit more peace of mind.

If you were to go that route I would consider swapping the fuge and return locations.

If not don't forget to plumb some of the return line back into the fuge.

Your sump/fuge design is fine. I had both overflows drain to the skimmer section on my 180. Just put a T and a ball valve on one of the drains to feed the refugium. Or you can T off of your return to feed the fuge, doesn't make much of a difference which one. Main thing with the fuge is low flow. You want the macro-algae and deep sand bed to have time to remove nutrients from the water.

SumpBuild20.jpg

That's with the suggestion before sgarron

I kind of liked my old design better, anyone else have any changes made to my before plan. Without the "pink/salmon" colored changes.

Thanks,
Steve

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think your old desing was fine. The new one looks to be overkill. The one thing I don't like about the new design is the ball valve on the line coming from your return pump. If you want to control or limit the flow coming out of the return pump, you're better off putting a T there and then putting a ball valve on the leg NOT going up to the tank. This way you can adjust the flow going to your display without straining/restricting your return pump.

I guess I"ll stick with my old design, but would it be fine if both overflows led to the skimmer? Or should I do like one of you mentioned (sorry I forgot who) and lead one to the fuge? (I think sgarron mentioned it)

Thanks,
Steve

I would have both overflows lead to the skimmer -> return.

The return could then be T'd (or Wyed) to the fuge.

The fuge would then just overflow back to the return.

There is a slight risk that whatever critters are flowed out of the fuge will get chopped up by the impeller of the return pump - but I read that this was probably over-stated. The only way to avoid this would be to have the fuge set up as a gravity feed above the display - not many people have that kind of real estate above the tank.

Setting up all this equiptment will be a PIA, so many instructions and I bet I post a bunch of threads here asking for help. I'd like to thank everyone for helping figure out about 120g.

JRWOHLER said:
Here is a link for a great place to buy a your sump. I had mine made there and they are really very reasonable.
Plus I go back to my made in USA thing.
http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shop...6&catid=946&shopperid=98535&shop=itemlist.asp

Never shopped there before but I'd try and get the skimmer and refugium separately unless you are set on the specific skimmer being offered. On there FAQ page they state you can customize it (that is, get the refugium without a skimmer) for a different quote.

Personally I'm going to pick up a used one (paid already, just have to get it).

They built mine specifically ... but he is going to show me custom skimmer too, not 100% sure but if the price is right I am going to let him build it for me also. I think it is better quality at a great price.

Oh, and what should I do with my 55g Tank, as my mom would most definately not let me keep two tanks, should I use it as a quarantine tank?

I'd sell it. I know when I started the hobby - a 55 set up was what I wanted to do. I'm sure there are others like me...

Full disclosure: I'm actually looking for a 55 - but I'm going to use it for my turtle...lol.