• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

When things go wrong.....please help

We finished the plumbing and did a test run today. No good. Not only do we have numerous leaks, despite ever so careful priming and gluing, but my return pump (Quiet One 9000) has to go. It's FAR from quiet. There is no way we're keeping that thing with that noise.

So here comes my question: What would you guys/girls recommend to be a good, reliable, EXTERNAL return pump for my new 180? Head loss is between 4-5'.

Thanks so much in advance.

I'm so sad and disappointed right now, I'm ready to cry. :'(

---
Wendy

Thanks for the quick response.

I've been doing as much speed reading as I could in such little time, and made some phone calls, too. I found an Iwaki MD-100RLT-115 at the Hidden Reef (they don't have the 70-series), and my dear Alex is already on his way over there. We will have to redo EVERYTHING, especially since the Iwaki's outlets are 1", while the Quiet One's is 1.5". All that work for nothing. And believe me, Alex spent hours and hours putting it all together. :mad:

---
Wendy

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When you come out of the pump go ahead and step right up immediately to the 1.5. That will lower the resistance and head loss anyway. No big deal. So the only thing you need to redo is the part that comes out of the pump and steps down.

With a heat gun you can pry the fitting from the scrap pipe if you need to save a critical fitting and re-glue it.

We're home now if you'd like to run by for the pumps and the heaters!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear the disappointing news. I know what a bummer that is (because Phyl is speaking from experience when she talks about how to separate leaky fittings!).

I would also suggest that you use Rain R Shine PVC cement for those critical fittings that would be a bear to have to redo. The stuff is located with the rest of the PVC cements and has a blue label. It's really thick and seals very reliably.

Thanks a million Phyl @ John. (Can't even put that smiley face at the end of the sentence because the way I feel...)

Phyl, is it at all possible to pick up the pump and heater another day? Because I still have to do the birds and make dinner. Tomorrow we're gonna be at a concert. Would Thursday evening work, after your girls are in bed, and you've settled down somewhat?

---
Wendy

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thursday night is fine Wendy. Just give us a shout whenever you're heading over. We should be here.

Thanks so much, John.

I just learned an invaluable lesson. DO NOT attempt to clean your Amazon's cage when you're aggrevated. I just finished with the cage, and Quincy, my male, bit THROUGH my upper lip. He did a Kamekaze on me. It was totally unexpected. ...and it's bleeding like crazy. :mad: What's next?

---
Wendy

OMG, Do you think you need to get stitched up your face always bleeds the worst. When things go bad they really go bad. Hopefully that will be all of your bad luck. The rest will go better

Here's a picture. Anyone has a stud I can put through there? ::) It's bleeding inside and outside. Crazy bird!
IMG_1219.jpg

----
Wendy

PS. Alex still hasn't made it to the place. He's stuck in traffic.

My husband was looking at your tale of the tank set up and he knows what your problem is give us a call at 609 636 0249 and he will help you out

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
adesimone1 said:
My husband was looking at your tale of the tank set up and he knows what your problem is give us a call at 609 636 0249 and he will help you out

Why not just post here so we all can learn? That is what we are here for, to learn and share our knowledge with others.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
panmanmatt said:
adesimone1 said:

Why not just post here so we all can learn? That is what we are here for, to learn and share our knowledge with others.

Agreed. I'd be interested in hearing the solution too.

By the pic in the tale of the tank we do not see a T at the end of the pump to tie in both returns the quiet one 9000 pumps to much for the returns that is why the pump is making noise because of restricted flow.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There has to be a T in there somewhere if it is splitting to multiple returns. How else would the line split? And actually a Y fitting is better as it is less restrictive than a T.

Also Quiet One pumps are notorious for being loud when used externally.

Try to find a Y in 3/4 impossible the overflows are only putting out about 600 Gph and the pump is pumping twice the amount

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A T fitting with 45's come off of it make it a modified Y. A lot less restrictive than a T that puts everything at a 90. But her return plumbing is 1.5 inches so a 3/4 T is a moot point. Not to mention that the tank has dual 1 inch drains which I believe are rated at 1200 gph each. Don't know where you came up with the 3/4" drains from.

If the pump was putting out more than the overflow was rated for, the tank would be overfilling and the sump running dry.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
adesimone1 said:
By her post it was leaking she never got that far the returns on 180 is 3/4

Yup and that will have zero effect on the overflows.
adesimone1 said:
Try to find a Y in 3/4 impossible the overflows are only putting out about 600 Gph and the pump is pumping twice the amount

All tanks have 3/4 returns in them and everybody has to reduce their return plumbing as most pumps are 1-1.5 inch outputs on them.

Max flow on one overflow is 600 gph We ran 2 iwaki 30 rlt's on our 180 and you never heard them run and they were set up under our stand.