• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

When things go wrong.....please help

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
From the Mega Flow web site:
Aquariums up to 110 gallons are fitted with one MegaFlow Overflow and are rated for a maximum flow through of 600 G.P.H. (Using a rated 2,400 G.P.H. pump at a 5 foot head). Aquariums over 110 gallons are fitted with two MegaFlow Overflows and are rated for a maximum flow through of 1,200 G.P.H

So if 1 overflow can handle a 2400 gph pump with the head factored in then a dual could certainly handle a QO 9000. I have a single overflow on my tank and run a 1000 gph pump with no issues because of the head height.

I am sure your Iwakis are very quiet but Quiet Ones aren't always quiet. I run a Cal Pump 900 on my tank and you can't even hear it with the stand doors open. But again, it's not a Quiet One like Wendy is dealing with.

My husband talked to Wendy and he helped them out hopefully all of her issues will be resolved. If it wasn't a work night for him he would of went over to help them out as he is doing for Erna this weekend. He is done this quite a few times with great success. Just trying to help out fellow reefer.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I hope they got it fixed. I am sure a few of us here have also had many successes with plumbing tanks and we are never one for not helping a fellow reefer. we just chose to do it in the forums or in person so others can learn from our experiences. No need to take the info to PM's or phone calls if we can all learn from it.

It is easier for my husband to talk to someone on the phone to explain then thru posting on the forum once the problem is fixed then we would do that. There are no secrets. He does this type of work for a living take a look at RBU1's 300 gallon set up my husband did that.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great for him. Glad he could make a living out of his hobby.

Wendy I hope all works out for you.

Have a great night all.

He does plumbing for a living. He doesn't get paid for helping someone out plumbing in their tanks he does it because he likes doing it.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's great that he's so willing (and able) to share his time with fellow hobbyists. I know that when we setup our manifold we made sure to have an extra port returning to the sump for the excess flow that wasn't needed at the tank. We've managed to use just about all of the "extra" volume since then, but in the beginning we had a LOT of water returning to the sump.

Sorry I haven't replied last night, but I was wiped out. Alex came back around 8PM, showed me the new pump, ate dinner, showered, and called it a night. We'll start everything from scratch - probably this morning.

BTW, I have a Perfecto, and I don't think their overflows are quite the same as the Megaflows from All Glass. The paperwork is downstairs, but if I'm not mistaken, each overflow should be able to handle around 800 gallons/hour.

---
Wendy

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
that 100 will be to much for a 180, and its 350 watts, use 2 ehiem pumps dead silent and will run forever, one for each return 1260 size, 2 pumps will be for safty to one fails the other will sill be running HTH. O and your at about 100 watts with plenty of flow. to much turnover in the sump will return micro bubbles to the tank too.

stan

:eek: Thanks, Stan. I'm gonna end up having a stroke over this plumbing thing.

I don't think Alex wants to return the pump. He already removed the entire old manifold, and is making a list and drawing of things he'll need. We will basically make the same design, with the pump going to each overflow, AND back to the sump.

Well...he just left for Home Depot as I'm writing this. Wish us luck.

---
Wendy

Thank you so much. :) The "love bite" is fine. If he ever tries that again with me, I won't guarantee that he'll be fine though. (Not that I would ever hurt him...but boy was it hard maintaining myself right after I got him off my face.)

---
Wendy

Wendy sorry for your problems but thank you too, you have done a great job of explaining things. I think I will be doing it all this weekend and am scared out of my gourd.

Thanks so much, JR. :)

Well, Alex came back with lots of new stuff, laid everything out, wrote down what he was missing, and is now making his second trip.

On a good note, we did a test run on the new pump, and we are thrilled at how quiet it is.

---
Wendy

panmanmatt said:
All tanks have 3/4 returns in them and everybody has to reduce their return plumbing as most pumps are 1-1.5 inch outputs on them.

Just so you guy's know, Perfecto tanks have 1" returns and 1.25" drains, they can handle between 700-800GPH ea. at least that's what I'm pushing through mine (approx 750gph). I'm running a Gen X pcx40 with 12' head and the drain handles the flow just fine.

adesimone1 said:
Perfecto's are actually AGA and the companies merged they have a maximum flow of 600GPH per overflow with 5' head

Perfecto was bought by marineland and is not a AGA company. AGA merged with oceanic and is now aqueon

My bad! I was on a perfecto site and it brought me into AGA 180 tank I did get this info off of perfecto site:

Engineered to deliver perfect circulation and maximize water flow to the main filter system, the Corner-Flo eliminates “dead zones,” while minimizing flow noise. Water is drawn from the surface and bottom levels at an unprecedented rate of up to 700 GPH, providing the ultimate in circulation efficiency, and fishkeeping success.