• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which led fixture do I go with....

From my understanding the ecotechs will do a 24 x 24" area no problem.

I decided to go with the ecotech, I figure if it stinks I can always sell it and do an AI lol

From my understanding the ecotechs will do a 24 x 24" area no problem.

I decided to go with the ecotech, I figure if it stinks I can always sell it and do an AI lol

I figured their estimates of 30x30 would be more accurate on a smaller tank. I really do have time to buy my lights since Tge tank probably wont be ready for water until December at Tge earliest. Ill definitely be looking for updates.

Steve

I've been researching LED lighting like mad... it's one of the things that's changed most since i got out of the hobby 2 years ago and something i know very little about (but learning). Has anyone considered the spectrum of the light.. and not just the way it looks?

Take a look at this blog about Radion having the wrong spectrum. http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/ca...radion-xr30-led-light-a-swing-and-a-miss.html

After reading a lot (i'm still not done) The Kessil a150w aquarium led fixtures are the ones i like... for now.

Ecotech can say what they want, but just look at the fixture's design. there's 2 pods of leds and they're stating that it covers a 30x30 area w/ enough penetration at 8" above water line? get real ecotech. there are always trade-offs. if you are going to use only 6 fixtures, you'll have to mount them higher than 8" to prevent weird spotlight effects. if there is no spotlight effect, then the lens are too broad to penetrate 30". ai's use a combo of 40 degree and 70 degree lens to try to get penetration and cover a decent area. i think the reality is that a radion covers the same area as an ai. you will be ok w/ 6, mounted about 12" above water line. that being the case, you will need to decide if the radion($750 each) offer more than the ai's($400 each). do i think the radion is better than the ai? probably. at almost twice the price? probably not. that's just my opinion.

btw, you may want to compare the ai phoenix w/ the radion. again, you will need the same amount of fixtures when comparing the 2.

Funny you mention the phoenix. AI said it would not be good for deep tanks and should go with the sol model. The phoenix is very similar to the radion.

Steve

btw, here's what ecotech marine officially stated:

Usage Guidelines
• One Radion fixture is comparable to one 250w metal halide
• Generally, one Radion fixture should be used per 40 gallons (150L) of water volume
• Approximate surface coverage is 24x24 inches (60x60cm)

so if ecotech states 40g is there recommended water volume, and their fixture covers 24x24, then their recommended depth would be calculated at 16". 24x24x16=39.9 gallons. i know that's not very accurate on my part, but i hope i'm making my point. no way can one fixture, radion or ai will cover a 30x30x30 area.

Take a look at this blog about Radion having the wrong spectrum. http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/ca...radion-xr30-led-light-a-swing-and-a-miss.html

That blog got HUGE HUGE publicity and shut down really quick about being biased due to them supporting primarily orphek and the guy Mike got outed by Orphek and reefbuilders just a p.s.

I am going to go with teh ecotech and give it a chance. I know it will at least compete with the AI given it has similar blue, blue, and white leds and then the red and green as extras. If it isn't as good then I will sell it and get an AI, but given that ecotech from the time they started with the mps then developed glue and such I feel confident thehy will be okay.

After reading a lot (i'm still not done) The Kessil a150w aquarium led fixtures are the ones i like... for now.

I just did some reading on the kessils and they look nice but only go as deep as 24". i definitely need a fixture that i can adjust the optics on because of my depth.

Steve

btw, here's what ecotech marine officially stated:

Usage Guidelines
• One Radion fixture is comparable to one 250w metal halide
• Generally, one Radion fixture should be used per 40 gallons (150L) of water volume
• Approximate surface coverage is 24x24 inches (60x60cm)

so if ecotech states 40g is there recommended water volume, and their fixture covers 24x24, then their recommended depth would be calculated at 16". 24x24x16=39.9 gallons. i know that's not very accurate on my part, but i hope i'm making my point. no way can one fixture, radion or ai will cover a 30x30x30 area.

Where did you find this? I want to put it back to the guy at ecotech that told me 30x30.

I'm really thankful for everyones opinions and feed back. Fortunately for me I still have about 3 months before the lights will be needed. I would like to have a decision made my black friday in november since most of the online retailers have sales that weekend. I would definitely say at this point I am leaning towards AI SOL fixtures. I am anxious to see the Radions on some tanks. If anyone hears of an LFS having them out on a tank please let me know.

+1 on LFS having them out on a tank! I am also :cry:torn between AI and Radion. Thanks for this thread.

Last edited:
For those who are located south of the Mason-Dixon line, Aquarium Center is using the "Chinese" fixtures on all their coral tanks.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Steve, I have 5 AI's over my 260, they are great but I supplemented mine with T5's to increase the color spectrum. The fish and certain corals just didnt have the same "pop" without the T5's. In having learned more about the newer LED's I am would have probably went with the Mazzaras and may make the switch down the road. LMK if you want to swing by and see the AI' and what I did to supplement them with the T5's.

Darren, I keep saying I am going to come and I definitely need to soon. My months of planning are getting close to being put into motion. When are you available?

I believe that the dimensions of his tank are awesome x beautiful.

+ big lol

Darren when I saw your tank was it lit by the AIs then?? I know the frag tank had the evo light, but didn't even think to ask what the main tank has.

I just setup my ATO today, no more manually topping off!

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
You guys are too funny. Brando, dont think the AI's were on at that time. Dimensions are 80X24X30.

Steve, I am away at the moment, but will be back friday. Ur welcome to swing by whenever...