• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

white worms

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I wouldn’t it doesn’t make sense to try to culture white worms to feed fish.
You got to keep things simple.

Feeding pellet or flake or frozen is so easy.
Fish food is so cheap compare to everything else in this hobby.
My fish are just as fat and healthy and any fish out there and I never feed live food.

The easier you make this hobby the better it is. I use to order California black worms
Online for my fresh water discus fish.
They loved it but at the end of the day it
Smelled horrible to keep worms in the house. I had to feed the worms to feed the fish. It just added another layer that was not needed.

The foods we feed our fish now LRS / rods food is so healthy and well balance
We can keep a lot of fish alive.

The majority of the fish we keep in a reef tank eat algae all day. Fish like tangs don’t really care about white worms or live food. They will eat it but they would be happier with a sheet of nori.

yeah i think you are right about that stuff, i agree nori is great for the fish as well. really the idea behind those white worms, as paul b explained in a thread i read somewhere - hopefully he will see this thread and chime in or maybe start a new one with what im talking about, is that the white worms provide a type of gut bacteria that frozen or store bought foods doesnt. i dont know if im explaining it right but something like that.

bought some worms. very disappointed in what I got.

Attachments

• 20201105_171724.jpg
    20201105_171724.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201105_171827.jpg
    20201105_171827.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201105_172403.jpg
    20201105_172403.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201105_173439.jpg
    20201105_173439.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201105_173532.jpg
    20201105_173532.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 9
Paul.B. Just sent me a box with a bunch of white worms today as matter of fact,, they are due to arrive on Monday When it gets here you are more than welcome to have some,, from what I’ve read in Paul’s book and post I believe they multiply pretty quick and sustain themselves or something like that. I’m gonna look it up in his book tonight. I keep a copy in nightstand next to bed and just pop open a chapter and read it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Bacteria lives in everything. You don’t have to feed white worms to get bacteria.
You can buy clams 1/2 shelf and feed that to your tank. You can feed fresh scallops.
If you want to feed your fish live food you can do it from the supermarket. No need to have live worms in your house.

Fish eggs are also very popular everyone (Roe) you can buy it frozen or buy it fresh from the super market just make sure to buy the red ones. The black roe is caviar lol $$$

Attachments

• 006A883D-0FAE-46EA-9E17-5B7508DCA0D0.jpeg
    006A883D-0FAE-46EA-9E17-5B7508DCA0D0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Fresh sea food from the supermarket hahahaha hahahaha are you trying to be funny. I can tell you for sure 100% bet my kids eyes that ANY seafood that is in your supermarket is NO LESS than one month old already Guaranteed it can not be argued put my reputation on it

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Fresh sea food from the supermarket hahahaha hahahaha are you trying to be funny. I can tell you for sure 100% bet my kids eyes that ANY seafood that is in your supermarket is NO LESS than one month old already Guaranteed it can not be argued put my reputation on it

Not all supermarkets are the same. You can’t make a general statement like that.
If you shop at a supermarket that’s farm to table you food cost more but it’s fresh.

You can buy live fish, live clams/crabs/octopus oysters if you feel that’s a problem.

Roe needs to be eaten right away. So unless it’s frozen you won’t see 3 month old roe in supermarkets

Last edited:
Lol following the discussion and see you mentioned octopus... forgive the ignorance I eat kosher and have zero experience with non-kosher seafood. Can you really buy live octopus - and keep it in a tank?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Lol following the discussion and see you mentioned octopus... forgive the ignorance I eat kosher and have zero experience with non-kosher seafood. Can you really buy live octopus - and keep it in a tank?

Yes it’s called pulpo. It’s for making paella.
Most Spanish supermarket will have it.
No you can’t keep it in a tank. It’s like lobster they poop too much and will die if you try to keep them in a tank.

Pulpo is also used to make one of my favorite foods “ceviche” the octopus is not cooked and is 100% fresh from the ocean to the table. In the Dominican Republic the octopus is not even an hour out of the ocean in some restaurants by the beach.

Also I almost forgot calamari you can also buy that fresh not frozen

Lol none of this is kosher lol

Last edited:
No it will escape and die their the smartest creature in earth ,, some think smarter than people an the only live 3-5yrs

it's possible to get fresh seafood here on the shore cause they catch it here but even a lot of markets are bringing in frozen. we get live clams in barnegat bay, just need a license and a rake! I also get crabs, during season right off my dock. my son fishes in the backyard and catches fresh fish too. but I think Paul b is on about something else. not necessarily talking about protein and bacteria you might find in flesh.

Not all supermarkets are the same. You can’t make a general statement like that.
If you shop at a supermarket that’s farm to table you food cost more but it’s fresh.

You can buy live fish, live clams/crabs/octopus oysters if you feel that’s a problem.

Roe needs to be eaten right away. So unless it’s frozen you won’t see 3 month old roe in supermarkets
Oh excuse me me fancy pants going to the old farm to table I was meaning the chain supermarkets I mean of course you can go to the fresh seafood market at the local dock sure,, but I ain’t never been to one of dem dar fancy farm to table stores. Lol