• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

white worms

I currently have 4 cultures going in a wine fridge that are doing great. I guess I may divide them up into more and keep in my basement. I thought the cultures don’t do as well without a fridge.

Attachments

• A0BE9833-31AF-453A-8C1E-65B76647218D.jpeg
    A0BE9833-31AF-453A-8C1E-65B76647218D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 5EA85320-38A8-40B6-930F-B2EAFC5F5761.jpeg
    5EA85320-38A8-40B6-930F-B2EAFC5F5761.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 8F24699A-3102-4EAC-A4C2-2A8B1EB6F7C0.jpeg
    8F24699A-3102-4EAC-A4C2-2A8B1EB6F7C0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 2A04C7FD-01F7-4628-B828-B8DFF8DC0C4F.jpeg
    2A04C7FD-01F7-4628-B828-B8DFF8DC0C4F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
@Yates273

I've run cultures occasionally but always hated the separation of worms from media.
Also never had them refrigerated and the fly larva would eventually get a bit crazy.
This post has me interested in starting cultures again.
Whats with the screening and the plexi?
I'm gathering that you're putting what seems to be bread pieces on the soil then laying the plexi/screen over the top? Seems it would be a much cleaner 'gather'.
Also assume you're putting them in a controlled environment (fridge) whic would help growth and keep flies out. What temp?

Please share some details.

As far as the plexi they are pieces of leftover glass I had from a glass shop and they def make it easier to gather the worms. The plastic needlepoint screen is another version that the works congregate on when feeding and I just scrape them off. I feed them wheat bread with yogurt and yeast and they are in a wine fridge at a temp of around 57 degrees. I do notice that as long as it’s dark all the worms are either on top of soil or on the mesh or glass. The longer they are in the light as I gather they begin to recede back into the soil. So far I have been feeding my fish daily and I never have to dig into the media. I either scrape them off of the glass, mesh or sides of the containers which makes it very easy and clean. No soil to separate from the worms. I took all of this from Dave Ramsey on YouTube and it has worked well so far.

I seem to get a lot of mold whenever I put food in the bins. so far I've tried pumpkin, cereal, bread with yogurt and yeast.

I think the fly larvae you mentioned comes off the cereal or wheat product. I've just had very small ones and I believe they were from some Cheerios. the yogurt and bread definitely became very moldy for me and the pumpkin worked nicely until it just decomposed probably with no mold until the end if I remember. I even got a pumpkin vine growing from that.

the instant yeast I've been using seems to work best. I decimated my cultures from giving away and fish feedings and probably only adding foods every week.

@Yates273

I've run cultures occasionally but always hated the separation of worms from media.
Also never had them refrigerated and the fly larva would eventually get a bit crazy.
This post has me interested in starting cultures again.
Whats with the screening and the plexi?
I'm gathering that you're putting what seems to be bread pieces on the soil then laying the plexi/screen over the top? Seems it would be a much cleaner 'gather'.
Also assume you're putting them in a controlled environment (fridge) whic would help growth and keep flies out. What temp?

Please share some details.
Let me know if you want one of my cultures. You can do a drive by at my house 08731. Let me know when you're coming and I'll leave outside for you.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks Mickey,
Will take you up on that. Have to head down to Daves to pick up a Reefcleaners order in the next week or two, will let you know.

radiata

NJRC Member
If I elect to culture white worms in my wine fridge, will there be any adverse effect on my Chardonnay or Chablis?

I seem to get a lot of mold whenever I put food in the bins. so far I've tried pumpkin, cereal, bread with yogurt and yeast.

I think the fly larvae you mentioned comes off the cereal or wheat product. I've just had very small ones and I believe they were from some Cheerios. the yogurt and bread definitely became very moldy for me and the pumpkin worked nicely until it just decomposed probably with no mold until the end if I remember. I even got a pumpkin vine growing from that.

the instant yeast I've been using seems to work best. I decimated my cultures from giving away and fish feedings and probably only adding foods every week.
Cat food