• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Your "Fantasy Tank"

We all have tanks here obviously, but how many of us got to start from scratch? I figure we all have grown into our tanks or started the hobby with a lot less information then we have now. So my question is if you got a clean slate starting now with all you have know what would your tank setup be? I personally am looking in the 75-120 gallon range but I know some of you have tanks a lot bigger so if you have multiple opinions please share them.
Please include tank, stand, lighting, sump, flow, and accessories.

Great!! I have read your post and your tank is one of big tanks for sure, very nicely done. How about just giving us the structure or bones of the system. Is it exactly what you wanted?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We seem to start from scratch once every 8 months! ;D

It's taken us a while to get our total system, where we want it. Thinking back, I'm not sure that I'd change too much, other than to have gone with the biggest tank I could right from the start. I saw a funny signature that was something to the effect of "big tanks seem big until you own one". We moved from a 120 to a 180 and I thought "well, that's the biggest tank I could ever possbily want." Guess what . . . It seems so small now and I wish we could have gone bigger. The only other thing I would have done differently is to have gone with Marco rock from the get-go. We are breaking down our tank this weekend to change all of our rock over to Marco. Had I known that earlier, we would have used it from the start.

The dream house thing rings true.
Though unless I get the greenhouse addition sometime in the near future it is not going to happen. :'(
I think since I started with a nano tank, and while I have certainly seen some wonderful tanks and setups, I think the max size I really want is 120. I really like some of the guys who have the 75G tech tanks because I like the look. The Elos tanks are just great looking.
I think the SYSTEM 120XL with LED (Solaris) lights(green thinking).
They are certainly not cheap though. Lighting or tank settup.

120g dream tank? That's not the tank, that's the sump. :)

Just kidding with ya. It's not really the size IMHO as much as how you "decorate" it and stock it. I've seen stunning 75g tanks that leave you absolutely amazed and look plenty big enough with the rock and coral work done to perfection.

Carlo

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I stopped by Jim jstoner's house. He has the dream tank 500 gallons full of rare corals and cool fish and rocks. If you ever get the chance check him out.

Hmmmm maybe I really do need the addition. ;) You guys have me thinking. Without the addition though my house just couldn't handle much over the max I suggested. Though I could put a huge sump in my crawl space but that would sort of defeat the purpose no? Though I do like the idea of tying in several different systems as per ReneeRN(thanks for all the great ideas).
Am I the only one with a max size I would like? Or is everyone on the agreement that bigger is better? I have to think that at some point there is a decreasing return on investment, or does the cost sort of flatten out? Most of you guys have tons more experience then so just try to steal some knowledge.

KillaGoby said:
She's blond and sit's in the cube behind me at work...

Oh, I'm sorry. Wrong fantasy. lol...

When I saw this thread, my very first thought was, "My fantasy tank would have Jessica Simpson in it." But then I thought, no, I take the high road here and let it go by. But, now that the precedent has been set.....

Back to the realistic fantasies. ;)

96x30x20 Tank = 250 gallons

Why only 20" high?

12x110w UV VHO's on 4 Ice Cap 660's

Sump and fuge of good size remotely plumbed.

MRC-2 or so for the skimmer. AC3 to run it. Good auto topoff system. Maybe even a CA reactor this time. Phosban reactor for carbon.

Drilled for closed loop. Oceans Motions and a modest quiet pump.

Why not ultimate skimmer, eyeburning lights or super flow?

This will be an LPS haven with a focus on Scolies, Cyanaria, Lobos and just enough Euphyllia to keep things moving! ;D

I have been steadily working on my dream tank for almost a year now it is a 210gal. and so far I have gotten every piece of equipment I have ever dreamed for it 8)

Fantasy right?

OK then ...

120x36x30 - 560 gallon reef.

100g sump.

100 gallon Refugium.

Volcano Skimmer.

Drilled for closed loop. 2 Ocean Motion 4s.

3 1" SeaSwirls for Return.

Reactors: MRC Calcium Reactor, Nilson Reactor, 3 daisy chained Phosban Reactors, and a Carbon Reactor.

5 250w HQI MHs with 8 48" T5 bulbs on 2 Icecap Ballasts. UVL Super Actinic on 1 Ballast, ATI blueplus on the other.

Billy's Chiller.

Automatic 88 gallon water change system.

55 gallon RO reserve for Top off.

ACIII Controller all tied into a Macbook Pro.

400 lbs of Marco Rock ... custom done by Marc, filled with arches and caves.

Shallow Sand Bed.