• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

12 foot long shallow reef build

Glad that you got professional engineering advice, forget what I said haha.
What are the total gallons on the tank?
What lighting are you going to use?
Did you use live rock/sand? If so then ammonia test kit is maybe crappy.
Who is your consultant?
I would suggest taking things slowly as possible (we all make impulse buys) I would suggest asking for fish advice here...I love giving it .;) Same goes for equipment.
I do agree your tank is going to have a lot of surface area that should help with aggression. But remember you still are limited by water volume too.
A smaller tank is really harder than a big one. Things change slower in a big tank which is good...a refractometer is really easy to use ...and so much better than a hydrometer...I don't even know why they sell them to be honest. But don't worry I bought one too. Look for the thread with really useless item we have bought...and don't buy them no matter what anyone from the store says.
Sorry for rambling.

If you're having issue with the common refactormeters get a digital one. Milwaukee makes them specofslly for saltwater. I use one and will never go back to the look thru the lens type. You just put water on the lens, push the button and you get a reading. Couldn't be easier... I went for this as it is far easier to have someone check the tank then explain how to use a regular len one.

Ammonia remains low. And I'm happy to report I have nitrates.

Nitrites are not noticeable yet

0918d83232376936b8ac572e46bfad22.jpg
751b92bb3d2d5a27978a1b3da8bc4c78.jpg
8d4cc440dd3368503cf14d2145040020.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick update

Big shout out to mark c for informing me about the aquarium care center. Place is exactly what I'd want in s shop.

I have added dr tims. Will test tonight before water change. Hope to see better numbers

Also added snails. Thanks again Mark c for turning me on to reef cleaners.org. With the tank being new I cut his recommended number in half. I'm happy with how much more active the tank looks with the critters.

I added a butterfly fish a few days ago and today I'm adding a powder blue, cleaner wrasse and another angel.

I also added some green stuff to the refug with s light. The skimmers seems to be doing a good job.

I'll add pictures in a bit.

Oh yeah and lighting.

I was between the A80 and A360. Best value vs best.

I decided on 6 A80s. Figured it would do what I need. Fish with a few soft corals.

Then I thought more. And decided instead to do the A360s.

I figured I didn't have to buy 6 all at once right?....

So I picked up 2 to start. Then as I build out the tank I can buy the others.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Feel the pain. Dropped $800 to light a 90g.
My AI's ran $300 per light, $60 per mounting bracket, $15 for wiring (to the wireless controller), and $70 for the controller.
You'd think at $300 each there would be at least a basic mount.

Regardless, glad my opinions helped you out a bit. Keep us updated with some tank shots. :)

Follow up on yesterday, I did the water change. ~15%

Tested today,
Ammonia continues to go down.
Nitrates are also going down.
Nitrites however still not really registering .

Also, I'm missing a clown...

The other fish are happy and eating well.

8d201158fca192c83ce64297a440af87.jpg
7d664cffd47fd42b7bdde3d4596956ce.jpg
3879f18d92bdad5ea69e9e48164db886.jpg