• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

12 foot long shallow reef build

I am trying to calm down with water testing but I excited for the tank to settle out. But in your advise I did left it alone all day yesterday.

And today I'm enjoying sitting in front to take a few pics

Also first time drip acclimating a few new guys.

In a side note, I was offered a koi tang today. I was told it's a cool fish to have but thought it unattractive. Your thoughts?

75406bb393c295f10b6e33eb6437af44.jpg
39169d36f4b7a6a3b6daf0eee423c9d4.jpg
e77ffb86ae7b529fee5ea378a2c312d9.jpg
21d7e90aa656b1e2cd4da41b6e044b1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saying having fish during the cycle stresses the fish out. Stressed fish = more susceptible to disease = ich. I know its a beautiful tank but take it slow or you'll pay for it with dead fish. Once you get ich in their it'll be a pain to catch those fish let alone get rid of the ich.

Just spent last 2 hours removing snails and crabs. Then did a 30% water change.

Now I half dosed with copper

Fingers crossed.

Rob

I don't think it was a good idea to add copper to the main tank, put some garlic paste in the food before you feed them.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Copper can be absorbed or stays in the tank making it not reef safe.

1+ on this
@Exarkun1178 . In essence copper a poison, which is why care is needed when dosing. Typically you would do this in a separate Qt tank, and not ur display so that you don't run the risk of contaminating your display.
It may seep into sand and rocks. If everything dies, it will most likely be from that......that and the fact that the tank may still be cycling. Worse case, you may have to take out both the rocks n sand. Also angels and tang's are very sensitive and can easily get ick if they r under a lot of stress.

I guess my position is, if it has to be fo I'm ok with that. It was originally meant to be

I bought the house not sure if I was going to stay so I had it in the back of my head I may need to undo every thing in a year or two anyway.

Fo will keep me from being impulsive.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
First nice looking fish

Second does look like that fish has ich

Like other said it not a good idea of doing copper in your DT. I never personally needed to use copper treat meant but I have heard is bad for corals and snails/crabs/shrimp/etc...

Also with your tank still cycling adding all those fish at once is going to spike your ammonia and nitrite. Keep an eye on those numbers and cause any trace of those will cause your fish stress and may even lead to death.

On a side note don't beat yourself up on mistakes we all make them one way or another. It's hard to just sit back and wait in this hobby but the slow process pays off in the end.

Its been , what two hours, and white spots are gone. Is that the copper or was I imagining the spots?
8443a1e79624323b32a9eddffe0d65b2.jpg