• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

12 foot long shallow reef build

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great, going to need some more lights....2 more kessils should do. Your only going FOWLR to start correct?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, looking back at the pic, you may need about 4 more kessils, to completely cover the length of the tank. You could go with a smaller amount of lights if you did maybe T5 fixtures and just have the kessils as supplements. Or you could do some NPS corals in the more shaded spots

Actually, looking back at the pic, you may need about 4 more kessils, to completely cover the length of the tank. You could go with a smaller amount of lights if you did maybe T5 fixtures and just have the kessils as supplements. Or you could do some NPS corals in the more shaded spots

I'm hoping to only need 3 more. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
For fish that's fine, but for the corals it won't be enough if you are going to place them end to end on the tank. If you centered the corals more in the middle then you should be fine.
With the kessils, you'll only get a 2ft length span on each pendant.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Right now, the main items you should be testing for is: ammonia , Ph, nitrates and phosphates. For fish only, no need to consistanly test calcium and alkalinity. Once those numbers are in check, you should be good to go.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
looking good. I think for fish only setup three more Kessils will be fine but like @trio91 said if your going to do corals you will need more.

Also you might want to think about maybe getting a hanging canopy, maybe match the stand, to put the lights in and run the wires nicely down so they are not seen. You have a nice slick looking tank and it be ashamed to clutter it up with wires; I wish Kessils had a better way of hiding their wires. Also you might be able to add T5s or something to the canopy to help with your Kessils if you plan on going with corals.

looking good. I think for fish only setup three more Kessils will be fine but like @trio91 said if your going to do corals you will need more.

Also you might want to think about maybe getting a hanging canopy, maybe match the stand, to put the lights in and run the wires nicely down so they are not seen. You have a nice slick looking tank and it be ashamed to clutter it up with wires; I wish Kessils had a better way of hiding their wires. Also you might be able to add T5s or something to the canopy to help with your Kessils if you plan on going with corals.

I've thought about a canopy. But not sure I'd like what it would do to the space above it

I'd much rather hanging the lights from the ceiling but wire management is my issue I don't like the idea of adding plugs up on the ceiling. And the run slaving the lights will be long.

Undecided. The brackets are a stop gap until I find the right solution

I do need to source glass tops for each of the 5 open sections.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
You can build mesh screens to cover the tops, it would be cheaper and lighter

Second the mesh top. glass tops can get junk on them and if you don't keep up on cleaning them they can block some of your light. I had a glass top on my tank but because the junk was getting too much I opted to go topless; lucky I had no jumpers

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
bd25f2cf369d36abf150f1afd89d837c.jpg

Mesh is best and easy to make. This is made from 1/4 mesh from BRS and screen parts from Lowes. Total cost was under $30. I do cover the back half of the tank with 1/4 acrylic in the winter to cut down on evaporation.

Busy day today. I created spreadsheets to start tracking my test results.

My consultant came over today, she seemed please lad with today's numbers and how the tank is cycling.

The lights really add a lot to the tank!

I also picked up other test kits, which are much more sciencey. Now I'm checking other parameters too like ph, phosphates, alkalinity