• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Adam's new 215gal Oceanic in wall!!

Hi everyone. I'm building a new tank, and I thought it would be a good idea to track my progress through this thread. First, let me tell you a little about myself.

I was born in Poland, where I started this hobby back in 1999. My first tank was 60 gal. with fish only. Then, when I moved here in 2002, I got my second tank which was a 26 gal. bow-front reef tank. I still have this tank. After buying a new house, though, I made plans to have a 215gal tank placed in the wall near the living room and kitchen. I'm planning on having a mostly SPS tank, and I hope I can get advice and feedback from you guys as I build this tank.

Here's a picture of me and the new tank from Aquatic Obsessions, the store where i bought it :)
1293_29_12_08_10_57_19.jpg

A list of equipment that I have right now:
- tank Oceanic Starphire 72x24x29
- 3x 250w hqi IceCap pendants + electronic ballasts
- skimmer MRC-3R
- Reeflo Dart pump for return
- Calcium Reactor Koralin 1502
- ReefTek Nilsen Reactor
- Milwaukee PH Controller

Here is the tank temporarily placed on the stand where it will eventually be once I finish the stand. My nano is in front of it
1293_29_12_08_10_57_39.JPG

If anybody has suggestions for the stand, sump, heaters and flow (Vortech or Tunze)...I would really appreciate it.

Next project is finishing the tiling inside the fish room and building the stand. I'll post pictures of the fish room next.

cool! will be following your thread.

I bought my 120 from AqOb and I thought that was big. LOL. Glad you had a car/truck big enough to haul that.

In terms of the powerheads - you could also choose a third option which would be an external pump hooked into a closed loop.

But if it were me - i'd go the tunze route. The new 7096 multicontroller plus maybe 3~4 6105s. I'd also go with the tunze ATO. I've used the ato, 6000/6100.6060.6101 streams and I haven't had any issues (knock on wood). Plus if I did - I know Roger +crew in Austin/Tx (tunze usa) would be there to resolve it asap.

on a minor tip - those american DJ panels are great for the power cords.

Ok...right now I'm finishing the tiles, so I need your advice on the stand. Here's a picture of the stand which is connected to the wall. I put two additional 4x4's in the two corners. I think should be OK.

1293_29_12_08_10_59_09.JPG

1293_29_12_08_10_58_38.JPG

What do you guys think? Do you think I need to support the stand on the back with two legs or three? I'd rather have two, to have more access underneath the stand, but I'm not sure it will hold the weight.

I have 2 ideas for the stand. First, which I like most, would be to have only two legs because I would have more space for a wider sump. It would have a long support (white on the picture) made of 4x4. Legs and support would be right under the tank.

1293_31_12_08_6_17_32.jpg

1293_31_12_08_6_17_55.jpg

Second idea is with 3 legs - also made with 4x4, but those legs would be a little behind the tank.

1293_31_12_08_6_18_11.jpg

1293_31_12_08_6_18_55.jpg

So, what do you think about those ideas? Is it enough?

First you are a wizard with the graphics.

Second I have a stand with doors on the ends....I think that makes it much easier. If you have open ends then the middle support is not a problem...just slide the sump in from the end or both ends if you want.
Plus then maintance on whatever end you are working on is a snap.

Hope that helps.

One thing i would suggest is the frame under the tank the 2x4's should be on end and not laying flat. It would be much stronger

i have an in-wall tank aw well. i only have two legs on each side to allow for easy access to the sump. i did however built a platform under the tank for all the leg to connect to. just adds stability and it nice to have my sump up off the floor. i also used small 45 degree angle supports at the corners. i dont have the graphics skills or i'd show you what i mean. i will look through my pics to see if i have a good pic of the stand.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Another option would be to put the third leg in after the sump is in place.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Patriot76 - If you could find a picture of your stand, I'd really appreciate it. I want to get a better idea on how to do the stand with only two legs and seeing your picture would help me.

If you go the route of two 4x4's in each corner and 45's coming off them in both directions you will have a lot of support. What size wood are you using to make the frame for the stand? I am a carpenter and have a lot of ideas that I could put on paper but it's tough to put them on the computer

AdamPL said:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Patriot76 - If you could find a picture of your stand, I'd really appreciate it. I want to get a better idea on how to do the stand with only two legs and seeing your picture would help me.

i will take some new pics, but my stand continues past the side of the tank- an extension a couple more feet. i have my kalk reactor there (and will have the calcium reactor there as well when i can afford one). so there is a third leg where the stand meets the wall. none of this can be seen because of my skimmer, my chiller, and my fuge. but i will take pics none the less. also, one other quirt about my tank, my stand was actually built for my 55g which was in the in the same place as my 180 is now. because i built the stand for the 55g so sturdy and level, i decided to just expand on it rather then start from stratch when i upgraded to the 180g. never the less, i'll take some pics. but also keep in mind that i was not going for beauty, strictly functionality. my 'fish tank room' is also the room where my furnace and hot water are. so no one but me ever goes in there. most important thing is that it is sturdy as a tank (i might have over did it with the 2x4's) and its level!

jsantoli said:
If you go the route of two 4x4's in each corner and 45's coming off them in both directions you will have a lot of support. What size wood are you using to make the frame for the stand? I am a carpenter and have a lot of ideas that I could put on paper but it's tough to put them on the computer
If you take a look on the pictures it was made with 2x4 bye my framers when I did addition to my house, but i had to take the legs off becouse I decided to put tiles on the floor. Now I want to put legs straight on the tiles without a platform, so I thought it would be more stable with 4x4, but some people are saying that they could split or shrink more.
Maybe I`ll put two 2x4 together for legs, and as a support on the back of the tank between those legs instead of 2x4`s should I use two 2x6 vertical?

Patriot76- what did you use on your stand- only 2x4's?

2x4's are plenty strong enough to support the weight, but I would be nervous of the tile cracking underneath the legs. With 2 legs in the back thats a lot of weight pressed onto that 1 point on the tile, I dont see how it wouldn't crack. And if you are going to put two 2x4's together for the leg I would go with one 4x4, they are rated for higher strength and any 4x4 you find will be chemically treated so the amount it shrinks will be minimal, if any

agreed! thats why i would built a platform for the legs to connect to, it would help disperse the weight, and get you sump up off the floor.