• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Adam's new 215gal Oceanic in wall!!

If you build a 2x4 frame with the 2x4's 16" on center it would be the same thing as building a wall. Put a piece of sheathing (plywood) on top for the tank to sit on. I assume you are using an existing wall and have to cut your wall studs out of the way to make the display area. Where you cut those studs you can add 2x4 or 4x4 across the cuts to support the front of the tank (display side) and use the other 2x4's to support the back. As long as it's built correctly a 2x4 can support a lot of weight. On concrete forms we only use 2x4's and there is thousands of pounds of pressure inside the forms. Over kill wouldn't hurt so using a 4x4 for the back legs and possibly doubling the wall studs would be a terrible idea. If you have any questions feel free to PM me

jsantoli said:
2x4's are plenty strong enough to support the weight, but I would be nervous of the tile cracking underneath the legs. With 2 legs in the back thats a lot of weight pressed onto that 1 point on the tile, I dont see how it wouldn't crack. And if you are going to put two 2x4's together for the leg I would go with one 4x4, they are rated for higher strength and any 4x4 you find will be chemically treated so the amount it shrinks will be minimal, if any

thanks jsantoli, that good advice about the tile cracking, so I decided to go differend way
I found a great thread about DIY stand if anybody is interested here is a link
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...hreadid=1169964

I took apart almost everything just left plywood and double 2x4 on the back as a shelf for some misc. items.
I covered the wall part with wonderboard, and finished with tiling (I want to have a waterproof room)

1293_04_01_09_11_43_21.JPG

Stand ready after 40min work

1293_04_01_09_11_44_32.JPG

Stand ready, I squeezed the new stand under the plywood

1293_04_01_09_11_46_23.JPG

done after 2 hours
I used 2x8 for top platform, regular 2x4 for the legs, and PT 2x4 for bottom platform

similar to my stand, three 2x4's for each leg. sorry i never uploaded any pics, been kinds busy (and lazy).i built a platform at the bottom to keep my sump up of the floor, you might want to give that a thought. looks good though!!!

thanks patriot76 - I was thinking to put sump on the tilies, but I`m not sure if I could cut one of the bottom part

1293_04_01_09_8_34_56.jpg

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Coming along. I like that fact that you tiled the floor and walls. I kind of wish I did something like that on mine.

thanks guys, tomorrow I am going to cut the bottom 2x4 as you see on the picture above to put the sump on the floor.

The tiles do look good, but I'm sure many can attest that the larger the tile the easier it cracks. But so long as the weight is distributed around it should be okay, again it looks great

jsantoli said:
The tiles do look good, but I'm sure many can attest that the larger the tile the easier it cracks. But so long as the weight is distributed around it should be okay, again it looks great

The tiles are on the slab, and when I put them I tried to put as much thinset as I could to avoid any empty spots underneath.
When I finish my tank room and tank , I have to finish my 2 bathrooms in addition to getting a baby room ready because my wife will kill me :)

Sump almost done! Now waiting for bulkheads from AO, but still confused... where should I drill the hole for it?? Next to refugium section or on the other side of the sump?

1293_10_01_09_10_26_22.JPG

well judging from how that tank is placed in the picture I would have the water enter the sump on the section on the right. This would house your skimmer if you are doing an internal skimmer. The way your normally would do a refugium you would have 3 chambers in your sump and the refugium would be middle section which would then be seperated my a wall and a sponge to keep the water that goes into the last chamber clean. Anyway I would drill your pump pick up right next to the old overflow section of the tank. Keep the refugium in the overflow part of the tank. Only problem i see with this is that water is only going to be able to get in/out if you keep the water level high enough in the sump to get into the screen at the top. You will deffinately need an ATO to keep the water level at the right height. Hope this helps

Inside the old overflow I am planning to have a refugium(the pipe is plugged).
Return pump I was thinking of putting next to the refugium in the right corner, and return from skimmer and main tank overflows into the left section. But I`m not sure if it will work

with the mrc - you could put a bulkhead in the left side - (for your pump for the skimmer). Overflows will drop in that section. Go thru the baffles to your return.

The return should be T'd off so that a small amount is put back into your refugium, which will overflow thru the teeth back into the return.

You could also put a bulkhead on the right side if you plan to use an external pump for the return.

Just my two cents - the refugium section is a bit small considering the size of your tank.

Hawkeye said:
with the mrc - you could put a bulkhead in the left side - (for your pump for the skimmer). Overflows will drop in that section. Go thru the baffles to your return.

The return should be T'd off so that a small amount is put back into your refugium, which will overflow thru the teeth back into the return.

You could also put a bulkhead on the right side if you plan to use an external pump for the return.

Just my two cents - the refugium section is a bit small considering the size of your tank.

I agree with phil on all points.

Thanks Hawkeye and ricwilli. I am going to do same way as you said. But with refugium I am stuck. For return I`ll use external pump Reeflo Dart.

talked to will about it today.... this is what we thought would be best. Have the overflows dump into the right side of the tank, this way your fuge stays full, have skimmer return dump into the refugium. Put the pump outlet on the left side of the tank. This way youll have the least amount of micro bubbles possible, your fuge stays full, and you get the skimmer dumping into its own chamber also.

next update:

plumbing ready! From Reflo Dart I split flow into the tank , skimer and one additional "T" for water changes and maybe sea swirl.

1293_18_01_09_9_21_02.JPG

1293_18_01_09_9_21_27.JPG

Now time for water test, and test how good plumber I am :)