• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquapod 12 Build

I put this here because everything in tale of the tank is larger then 40 gallons. last night I got the tank, I put the water in and 20lbs of sand. and a few pieces of rock I had curing. I will post some pictures later after the water has cleared. Now I received a frag when I bought this tank, I do not know what type of coral it is, but how long before I can put it into the tank? I cannot put it into my 29gal because the nitrates are way high and i do not have the proper lighting.

is it possible to have someone hold the frag for you while the tank is set up/cycling? What are you holding the frag with now?

Pictures Also if anyone in the Cherry Hill region could hold this frag for me (assuming that it is not safe to have in the tank yet) i would greatly appreciate it.
IMAGE_146.jpg

IMAGE_145.jpg

IMAGE_147.jpg

How can my nitrates be at 10 if all i used was distilled water, live sand and cured live rock. the salt i used was reef crystals, and a tiny bit of instant ocean

Well I see you are off to a good start.. However, your question about nitrates plexes me. I am going to give you the skinny on it.. Not gonna get all technical. So here goes.

You will always have nitrates. Get used to it. I personally run purigen and phosguard 100ml packs in my nano and have after 7 months gotten my nitrates to a test 0. However, since nitrates, nitrite and ammoniafying bacteria are always present in your tank and have to die to feed each other even though undetectable they are still there.

It is common in a nano for your nitrates to be between 5 and 10 but try to keep it there. Once the tank stabalizes and you use something like the above you might just be able to get to a VISUAL 0.

Always present, always in the tank. Good husbandry and in my case 3 gallon water changes on the same day each week without fail keeps it at 0. Things have to die in order to live. :D = Nitrates

Since I am guessing on your start date I would wait about a month for a cleanup crew. I never added any fish to my tank until I wanted one. In our tanks even when you add a small fish the ammonia amount that is created over the course of the week is 0. Just don't overstock. I have a goby, a blenny, 2 astrea, 1 emerald, 5 micro brittle stars, about 10 stomatella snails now that came in as hitchhikers and have just continued to grow, plus little snails here and there that were in the tank but nothing bad. I have never had ammonia. The more snails you add to the tank on recommendations just adds to the crap you need to remove.

Get yourself a turkey baster from walmart for 2 dollars ( the biggest one you can find ) to siphon and blow off crap on the rocks every other day. For modifications please see my thread in my signature for the AP12. You might want to reconsider things before moving ahead. Get some extra hose and a yellow end dowel from walmart to siphon out water for water changes so you can collect crap from the bottom of the tank easily. Get some buckets with gallon markers on the sides from Home Depot ( white bucket ) so you know what you take out as a reference to what you made for your changes.

Tons of suggestion but you will get your routine down. It took me 7 months to put water in my tank so patience is in my blood. Just take your time..

Parameters look good. Get yourself a magnesium test kit for later so you can watch magnesium and calcium together. Keep doing your water changes each week. I started right from the beginning with 3 a week each week on the same day at the same time. Corals get used to it and expect it. Don't be lazy. Check out the mods....

Good luck

Sounds like you're well on your way. While I don't have an Aquapod, I have a 29 BioCube and one thing I've done with this tank is baby as much as I could.

Out of curiosity...what type of salt are you using and what type of water (RO?).

Did you ever ID that coral you have?

salt was mostly reef crystals but i ran out and i have been using instant ocean. used distilled water from walmart, the corals are zoos and they are in my friends tank as of today i tossed a shrimp in to kinda jump start the cycle, will test tomorrow

another update!
ammonia .50!!! when should i do a water change, I was thinking of thursday
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
ph 8.2
salinity 1.026
calcium 420ppm
alk 11-12 dkh

Just to caution you I have not heard very many good things about using distilled water. I was told that some places where the water is distilled use copper kettles and copper is bad for corals.
For whatever its worth. You should try to buy ro water from a lfs.

i dont know of any lfs around me that have ro water that i can buy, ill pick up a copper test kit and test it before hand. i had a coral in there for about 5 days before i gave it to my friend in fear that the cycle would kill it

thenamshow said:
i dont know of any lfs around me that have ro water that i can buy, ill pick up a copper test kit and test it before hand. i had a coral in there for about 5 days before i gave it to my friend in fear that the cycle would kill it

Distribution processes can change and unless you're test kit picks up trace amounts... I dunno. I've always been too scared to use anything other than RO after learning my "tap water" lesson. Just make sure you stay clear of this water company...

http://www.oaaa.org/images/upload/research/E08FE1907A2C42B79C23B7937F43C79B.pdf
lol (greatest marketing campaign EVER)

Out of curiosity, what area do you live in?
RO's have gotten very inexpensive in the past few years. I might save up for one if I were you or maybe even see if a local reefer could help out since it's such a small amount of water you'd need... 2 gallons of RO gives you just enought time to enjoy a tasty adult beverage with any cool local reefers (if you're 21 of course). :D

Im in cherry hill 08034 im doing a water change tomorrow
shouldnt distillation remove impurities in the water like copper since only what gets bottled was evaporated through a tube and then filtered like 4 more times, ill check it out, i dont have a job otherwise i would very much like a ro unit im only 17