• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquapod 12 Build

ok ok ok you guys got me im an now using RO water from ILC they have it, anyway i added my cleanup crew last week which consisted of 3 red legs 3 nassarius(spell) and yesterday i added about 4 turbo snails water change tomorrow with RO water

OK sounds like you are moving along. Good job on the RO. By the way you didn't mention your use or non use of the pesky ceramic rings and bio balls they give you with the AP. Ditch them ASAP. Mynd and I both have somewhat similar mods on our tanks take a look. Almost all the Nano guys have some sort of similar mods...1 ditch the previously mentioned rings and balls 2 set up fuge with light macro algae and LR or other filter medium in back chamber.

By the way love your rock work.

Second slow down with any other corals or fish...only bad things happen fast in salt water tanks...I stole that but it is common saying.

What lights are you using the compact florescent lights or do you have the upgrade?

Here are my thoughts on the AP I have the 24G but generally the same. The lights are OK for softies and some LPS only. The fans suck...you can buy a tiny cooler that drops into the fan socket..can check out Nanotuners.com. I would suggest it unless you have the open top..plan for that cost as my tank last summer was way too hot. You will probably want to add at least one powerhead, MaxiJet 900 is cheap and gives good flow, CONSTANTNE has a nice little powerhead I think, check out CONSTANTNE's thread it is very good as is Mynd's. The turkey baster is great idea. Water changes are key for good health of all your current and future inhabitants.

He He He... welcome for the aquascaping there billy :p ;)

Also I believe he took the 900 that was in the pod and put his 1200 in so using the 900 as a powerhead is possible

i tooko out the stock pump and used my mj 900 instead, i will remove the bioballs and ceramic rings but why? i also do not really want a fuge. what other filter media could i place in there? stock lights are what i am using and i do agree the fan SUCKS it doesnt do much of anything but my tank is always around 80 degrees. i was thinking a korilia nano if i finally take the plunge to buy it they are expensive. doing a water change today, 2 gallons

The bio balls and ceramic rings are do not have the ability to host the anaerobic bacteria that convert the nitrites and nitrates. Live rock is porous enough to host the bacteria within the rock. The bacteria converts the baddies to nitrogen gas that just disipates.
Korilia is great I have a Korilia 2 that I have moving the top surface of the water.

Yes sure. First close off all but the top slat of your overflow. This will get the water coming into the top only and allows for better surface skimming. Then in the chamber I would run some combination of filter medium, carbon, and a phos remover. What I did was built a platform out of egg crate that divided my chamber into two lengthwise. I have carbon and filter floss in the front part and macro algae in the back (which you could obviously skip) and that is above some live rock (which you can also skip). I hang a bag of phos remover in the other chamber. Building something to hold the filter floss or whatever you wish to use should not be hard. The idea being you get skim the junk and throw out the floss so you don't have a build up of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites.

also, I am confused about my cycle. The ammonia did go up and i did a water change. I will test again tonight but after the ammonia went up and i did the change i put in some zeolite in a bag, which gets rid of ammonia. should i have not done this? will I have to recycle? I also run carbon and nitrate sponge.

There were slats that slid into my AP so you could close off part of the water intake to the back chambers. Black flat pieces of plastic that slid into groves. I think your ammonia should come down naturally as the bacterias grow and your rock becomes "alive" that is basically what they are referring to with live rock.
If you have a well balanced tank you will not need a lot of chemical filtering. It should not really hurt things I am not that familiar with zeolite to be honest.

If you don't want the damsel in your tank I would ask that you not torture the poor guy. If your ammonia is down and you like damsels then sure. But know that most of them are rather feisty and if you have other fish you should probably really add them last depending on the aggressiveness of the other fish. Rule of thumb start with the most peaceful and move on up.

http://images.snapfish.com/3466963<6fp342>nu=327:>549>662>WSNRCG=323362478;82;nu0mrj

The area in the back of the Aquapod where in the above picture the blue sponge is sticking up has slats/groves/sliding covers/pieces of plastic don't know what you want to call them but you can slide them down from the top where the sponge is and therefore limit the intake to the top section. Does that make sense. If you don't know what the black slots are check your box for little black rectangles of plastic, you may have thought they were garbage or extra pieces. OK?

I checked, nothing, one thing my sponge is on the other side, I believe that is a picture of a Nano Cube or a Biocube. an Aquapod has 4 chambers the one pictured only has 3

Hmmmm well my AP has two chambers go figure :-\. And it looks like the one in the pic. OK well check and see if you can close it off in any case I think it is better to skim the surface, if you keep the entire hight of the tank open for me it didn't work as well and the sponge trapped ammonia on me.

Ive been trying to search for a way to do that, cant seem to find one that i can seal intakes while they are underwater. Im going to put a damsel in and take out the ammonia stuff. I check levels very ofter when i have livestock in the tanks

someone want to tell me what is going on. i did a water change yesterday and these are my readings
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
PH:8.2
KH: 12DKh
Calcium:400ppm
NITRATE: 20ppm!!!!
whys is it so high?!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What percent of a water change did you do? and what were your nitrates before you did it?