• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquapod 12 Build

And you still have the ceramic thingys in the filter area or have you taken them out. If they're in there still, I might begin there. I think if you take them all out at once, it could throw it off keelter, so maybe take some out over time and what I would do is as you take em out, replace em with live rock rubble...

Even if you don't want a fuge, I would consider swapping the ceramic media (if it's still in there) and just use live rock rubble as a media, then you can use whatever bags you need to supplement...

but that's what I would do.

If you no longer have ceramic and already have LR rubble back there...well... I'll shut up ;D

Im happy just to get a response! yes i did take the ceramic rings and bio balls out, i will toss some live rock rubble in there buy doesnt it need light? as i stated i have chemi-pure elite,carbon, and nitrate remover running, when do you think i can add a coral or a fish. and when i say fish i mean taking out the damsel and putting in a clown.

Well, the idea of putting the Live Rock Rubble in the back is not necessarily to build a 'refugium' but I think it's more to provide a better type of media. You'd still be using it as a 'filter' but just with live rock rubble for media. Better media. I would put it in a media bag (one thing I regret not doing) and that way you can take it out and clean it off easier...

Are you running any type of skimmer on this set up?

Out of curiosity, why are you not wanting a refugium?

I would put some sort of filter medium in the back to surface skim. The live rock privides the surface and the deeper structure for both types of bacteria. You don't need a light for just rubble without any macro algae used in a traditional fuge. It is more of a biological filter.

Three fish in that sized tank is going to be pushing it IMO.
Clown and six line are pretty aggressive, the firefish is timid so you may have some issues.

What are you doing with the damsel...I don't think it is very responsible to just flush the poor guy will your LFS take him back? He would be a better tank mate for the clown and 6 line IMO.

thenamshow said:
not lazy, personally i do not like the look of it

The benefits of having one far outweigh the asthetics. I believe you can easily mod the aquapod similar to the way I did. Although, I think it's plastic so it would look alot cleaner than mine, which had to be scraped. If you google it, you'll find some pretty slick, astheically pleasing mods out there for the aquapod

You cannot see my fuge at all unless you lift the lid and lean way over and look in the back. Check out my thread on my AP. I used LED lightbar in the back..no heat(minimal) and cheato has done fine.

JRWOHLER where did you get that led bar? how big is it? how much was it? is it completely submersible? and how long do you leave it on?

I got it on eBay. I have another thread with the link to the seller but if you search under eBay for LED and aquarium you will find them. I think total it was like 28 bucks ... I got the longer one 10 LED. There are shorter ones a bit cheaper...he will give a discount if you use my email and tell him before .... jrwohler@aol.com. I had a problem with the first one and he replaced it free. It is submersible I have it sort of half in half out of the water using some suction cups from some filter or another. There is another thread with a company that has LED lights. Someone bought them I don't know how they are working they have an underwater version also.

I have your basic timer strip so I when my lights go off on the main tank the LED bar comes on. That is supposed to help with PH fluctuations..I honestly have not noticed a difference but will take everyone's word on it.

updated tests
ph 8.2
nitrite 0
nitrate 20!!!!
ammonia 0
calcium 410ppm
KH 13 Dkh
by the way when i can im going to order one of those LED bars