• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Are there any divers on these boards??

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There are actually quite a few divers here. Myself, my 2 kids and my girlfriend all dive. John, Phyllis, Mike M and Brian also dive. I know there are a few others but can't remember off the top of my head.

We used to get together for a dive/collection trip at Shark River but didn't make it last year due to MACNA. Hopefully this year we can get at least 1 dive in together.

I do some locally wreck diving with my dive shop. If you'd be interested in that I can get you their trip schedule once it comes out.

panmanmatt said:
There are actually quite a few divers here. Myself, my 2 kids and my girlfriend all dive. John, Phyllis, Mike M and Brian also dive. I know there are a few others but can't remember off the top of my head.

We used to get together for a dive/collection trip at Shark River but didn't make it last year due to MACNA. Hopefully this year we can get at least 1 dive in together.

I do some locally wreck diving with my dive shop. If you'd be interested in that I can get you their trip schedule once it comes out.

Awesome!! Myself and my girlfriend dive and we are always looking for new diving friends!! We were supposed to go to Shark River as well with some people from our shop and it never happened either.

I haven't been diving off Jersey yet as I'm not Drysuit certified. But I was going to go in September/October but every weekend the weather was too bad. Definitely send a schedule. What shop do you ive with?

We are divers too, were diving in Antigua and Belize, getting certified right now. Planning to dive in Jamaica in February. ;D dive shop told us that there are plenty of ship racks to see around here.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not dry suit certified either. We all dive wet. I dive a 5/4 mm full suit with a 5 mm hooded vest and the rest dive 7mm 2 piece suits. We usually start diving in late April early May and our last ocean dive was October 4th, after that the weather canceled the rest of the trips.

The shop I use is Atlantic Divers out of Egg Harbour. They have a few different boats they use from Brielle down to Cape May. I mainly dive off the Dina Dee II out of Barnegat Light for my wreck dives. The shops website is, http://www.njwreckdivers.com/. The new schedule should be posted around the first of February.

Since we're on the topic of diving, anyone planning on going to Beneath the Sea this year? I already have my tickets to go up on Saturday.http://www.beneaththesea.org/BTS_coming_soon.html

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
whitebear1020 said:
We are divers too, were diving in Antigua and Belize, getting certified right now. Planning to dive in Jamaica in February. ;D dive shop told us that there are plenty of ship racks to see around here.

There are plenty of wrecks off the Jersey coast to dive. Some just require special training as they lie below recreational dive limits, however there are plenty that are well withing rec. limits too.

panmanmatt said:
I'm not dry suit certified either. We all dive wet. I dive a 5/4 mm full suit with a 5 mm hooded vest and the rest dive 7mm 2 piece suits. We usually start diving in late April early May and our last ocean dive was October 4th, after that the weather canceled the rest of the trips.

The shop I use is Atlantic Divers out of Egg Harbour. They have a few different boats they use from Brielle down to Cape May. I mainly dive off the Dina Dee II out of Barnegat Light for my wreck dives. The shops website is, http://www.njwreckdivers.com/. The new schedule should be posted around the first of February.

Since we're on the topic of diving, anyone planning on going to Beneath the Sea this year? I already have my tickets to go up on Saturday.http://www.beneaththesea.org/BTS_coming_soon.html

Wow!! You dive a 5/4 suit in May?? I was tolf I'd get away with my 7 full suit in September/October. I also need to invest in a pony and first stage....have everything except that...I'm hoping to go fishing this year!!

I dive with, The Dive Shop out of Cherry Hill. They also dive the Dina Dee a lot!!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here are just a couple things we brought up with us this year.

This spoon and screws were found on the wreck of the San Saba which sank in 1918.
SanSaba002.jpg

And these were a common find on every dive.
Vizcaya002.jpg

Vizcaya001.jpg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
9supratt4 said:
Wow!! You dive a 5/4 suit in May?? I was tolf I'd get away with my 7 full suit in September/October. I also need to invest in a pony and first stage....have everything except that...I'm hoping to go fishing this year!!

I dive with, The Dive Shop out of Cherry Hill. They also dive the Dina Dee a lot!!

The average temp was in the mid 50's on the bottom most of the year. Highest we got was 67F and that was the dive on Oct 4th, rest of the year it was 55-57F and I was more than comfortable in my 5/4. Coldest I have dove with that suit so far was 47F and even that wasn't bad until about 35 minutes into the dive then I got a little chilly but nothing to cold.

I keep meaning to make it out to the Dive Shop one of these days.

You will definitely need a pony for diving the boats around here. I use Al 30's for my ponies, just switched my set up to a slung bottle instead of a back mounted pony. Can't wait to get it wet and see how it feels.

I'd definitely love to get together and do some dives this year. I am thinking of chartering the Dina Dee for my son's HS graduation.

9supratt4, Dive Shop in Cherry Hill, that's where we are getting certified right now and planning to go on a trip this summer with them. Very nice crew ... ;D

panmanmatt said:
9supratt4 said:

The average temp was in the mid 50's on the bottom most of the year. Highest we got was 67F and that was the dive on Oct 4th, rest of the year it was 55-57F and I was more than comfortable in my 5/4. Coldest I have dove with that suit so far was 47F and even that wasn't bad until about 35 minutes into the dive then I got a little chilly but nothing to cold.

I keep meaning to make it out to the Dive Shop one of these days.

You will definitely need a pony for diving the boats around here. I use Al 30's for my ponies, just switched my set up to a slung bottle instead of a back mounted pony. Can't wait to get it wet and see how it feels.

I'd definitely love to get together and do some dives this year. I am thinking of chartering the Dina Dee for my son's HS graduation.

Well thats some good news....I may have to try a dive earlier in the year and see how I make out. The pony is on my need to buy soon list!!

That would be an awesome gift for a HS graduation!!

whitebear1020 said:
9supratt4, Dive Shop in Cherry Hill, that's where we are getting certified right now and planning to go on a trip this summer with them. Very nice crew ... ;D

I know Arin and Kris and Dave very well. Tell them Steve and Danielle said hello. I have to get down there to pick up my BC that was finally sent back after a tear in the bladder.

They are definitely an awesome group of people and you will learn a lot from them!!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
9supratt4 said:
Well thats some good news....I may have to try a dive earlier in the year and see how I make out. The pony is on my need to buy soon list!!

That would be an awesome gift for a HS graduation!!

As soon as the weather warms up a bit I'll be doing a few dives at Shark River just to get the winter kinks worked out. Plus my girlfriend and youngest son just got their certs the end of November so I want them to get some more time in the water before I take them out to the wrecks.

If you're interested in joining us we'd love to have you guys along. Once the weether breaks we can start making plans to get in the water.

I hear ya on the pony bottle. I ordered 1 more from the shop, just waiting for it to come in. My next BIG purchase is gonna be a set of steel either 100's or 120's. Starting my AOW/ Intro to wreck diving course on the 28th of this month so hopefully that'll help ease some of the winter stress.

panmanmatt said:
As soon as the weather warms up a bit I'll be doing a few dives at Shark River just to get the winter kinks worked out. Plus my girlfriend and youngest son just got their certs the end of November so I want them to get some more time in the water before I take them out to the wrecks.

If you're interested in joining us we'd love to have you guys along. Once the weether breaks we can start making plans to get in the water.

I hear ya on the pony bottle. I ordered 1 more from the shop, just waiting for it to come in. My next BIG purchase is gonna be a set of steel either 100's or 120's. Starting my AOW/ Intro to wreck diving course on the 28th of this month so hopefully that'll help ease some of the winter stress.

We'd definitely be interested in diving with you guys!! My girlfriend is probably going to want to go up to Dutch Springs a couple times as she hasn't gotten the whole bouyancy thing down very well yet....she gets so mad at me LOL.

I bought a pair of used Steel 100's...best thing I ever bought!! I did the intro to wreck divin...learmed how to use a reel, thats about it lol. Oh and that your compass won't work on a wreck LOL

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd love to get back up to Dutch again one of these days.

We also dive another quarry in Lancaster, PA called Bainbridge Scuba Club, http://www.divebsc.com/. It's smaller than Dutch but a little cheaper and lot less crowded. My dive shop switched from Dutch to there for there check out dives. We went up 3 times last year and loved it.

We should try yo get an NJRC trip up to one of the quarries.

I can't wait to take the wreck course. All 4 of us are taking it together so should be a lot of fun. This course is one the the owner of the dive shop as put together himself and NAUI approved the curriculum for certification. It goes more into wreck diving then than either the AOW or Intro to wreck that NAUI usually teaches.

Definitely have to put something together!!

Dutch isn't bad....it's a bit expensive, but if you plan on going a lot then the season pass is worth it.

I'll have to check the other one out. There's also the elusive 6-wheeler that I have attempted to find at Dutch about 4 times with no luck!! I will find it LOL

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The best part about Dutch is that it offers things for non-diving family members to do. Bainbridge is strictly diving or snorkeling. I just wish they'd let ya spearfish in the quarries. lol

My shop has a set of used 120's for sale that are just going out of hydro the end of the month.Have to see what kind of deal I can get on them. Only problem is they are DIN fittings and I'd have to change my first stages over. At about another $100 each.

hahaha....yeah last time I was at Dutch was September and there were a ton of baby fish all over the place. Apparently from what I've been told, you used to be able to fish in there and they fished it dry....now its starting to make a comeback. A night dive there last year we saw a HUGE catfish....would have fed 4 people!!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah I had heard the same thing. Not sure I'd really wanna be in the water at Dutch with those crowds and having spears going off. Be like shooting fish in a barrel except the fish would probably the only things safe. lol

If you want to do some reading on the Jersey wrecks, check out Gary Gentile's Popular Dive Guide Series Shipwrecks of New Jersey. There are 3 books to the set, a North, Central and South edition. I have all 3 and reference them all the time.