• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Are there any divers on these boards??

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yep I visit that site often too. The books are nice because they really get into telling the story of the history behind the wrecks.

I will definitely look into those book...thanks!! I am really looking to do some nice warm water carribean diving soon too!! Trying to plan a trip to Bonaire. Maybe I can get a full group together.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've never dove the Caribbean, closest I did was some warm water diving in Fl. It was ok, but I much prefer diving up here. Call me crazy, lol.

Maybe I'll take a run out to the Dive Shop this weekend. You wouldn't happen to know their hours would you?

panmanmatt said:
I've never dove the Caribbean, closest I did was some warm water diving in Fl. It was ok, but I much prefer diving up here. Call me crazy, lol.

Maybe I'll take a run out to the Dive Shop this weekend. You wouldn't happen to know their hours would you?

Well those are 2 completely different types of diving. Warm water diving is easier and more relaxing lol

Gonzapa said:
I am not a diver but want to be one. Anyone can tell me where should i go for lessons close to east hanover , nj?

There is Lakeland Diver's right in East Hanover. Not sure what they are like. But there are a bunch of others around too.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cold water diving does require a bit more work, but for me it is more rewarding and enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, it was great to see the diversity of life down in FL. Maybe the Caribbean will be different if I ever make it down there one day.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I finally made the trek out to The Dive Shop today, spent about 2 hours talking with Kris and Arin. Great little shop and great people. I'll probably end up doing a couple dives with them this year too.

Definitely great people!! I live in North Jersey so I don't get down there too frequently....but I'll be going next weekend. Gotta pick up my BC.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I told Kris I'd bring him some frags for the small tank at the shop. My leathers need some serious trimmings. If I get them cut in time maybe I'll shoot back out next weekend too.

I told him the same thing, but I just don't have any way to get the frags there, have them survive overnight, until I can get them there the next day LOL.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Where to start? lol

BC is a DR Transpac with rec wing, wetsuit is a Bare 5/4 Velocity with a 5mm hooded vest for cooler waters. Primary reg set up is a Genesis GS 2000 with a TUSA DC Hunter computer console, pony set up is a Genesis Yukon with a DR SPG on a necklace. For lighting I use a Princeton Tec Shockwave LED as a primary with a UK Q40 LED as a back up. Primary tanks for now are Al 80's with and Al 30 as a pony. Looking to get a set of HP steels here soon.

Also carry a couple DR reels, Blue tang blunt tip knife with a leg mount and a pair of DR shears on my shoulder strap.

Nice!!

I dive a Deep Outdoors 30# Wing w/ SS BP. Bare 7mm full suit with 5mm hood. Primary & Secondary reg is Atomic Z2. I also have the Tusa DC Hunter computer. Lighting is also the Princetec Shockwave LED and secondary is the Princeton tech Torrent LED. My primary tanks are steel HP100's. I will move to doubles one day.

Miscellaneous stuff, 50# lift bag, Tusa X-Pert 2 Titanium Knife with Drop Point.

I still need to buy a pony....thats on my list of things to do this winter.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have 3 ponies, still need to get one more.

I thought about going BP/W but like the Transpac so will stick with it for now.

My next purchase will probably be a 100# lift bag and maybe Miflex hose for my regs.

I am leaning more towards a set of HP 100's instead of the 120's thanks to Arin. I'm thinking double 120's is a little more weight than I want to carry.

Hey, there is a SCUBA flea market coming up in Toms River on the 14th of February. I'm gonna go see what kind of deals I can find on some used stuff.
http://www.oceanwreckdivers.com/flea_market.php

Yeah...Arin sold me all my equipment!!

I really like the BP/W. No extras...no frills...just what I need. Double 100's are heavy....double 120's even heavier lol. The single 100 I dive now is heavy.

Thanks for the thing about the flea market....I'll have to see if I can get over there.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah the transpac isn't much more than a soft plate with shoulder straps. Lots of movement and feels good in the water. One day I'll try out a plate set up. I've had a set of 100's on before, but not in the water, they were heavy but not overly heavy. Plus it's a lot less weight on a belt. Right now I am diving 22# with an AL 80, I could probably drop 6# by going steel.

The flea market is on Valentine's Day so bring Danielle and buy her something special.

Thats exactly the amount of weight I dropped moving from the AL80 to Steel 100...6 pounds.

Thats the problem....I have to convince her to go first ;)

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah 6 is about normal for that switch. I started with 26# beginning of last year and was down to 22 by the time the weather turned nasty. I'm hoping to be able to drop another 1-2# this year.

Tell Danielle you're taking her someplace special, but it's a surprise. lol I'm lucky, when I mentioned it to my g/f she was all for going.