• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Are there any divers on these boards??

9supratt4 said:
Olivier said:
alright, someone need to teach me how to dive. I can swim and never take any lesson on dive. I did dive when i was young (25 years ago back in Viet Nam without any hardness. Just take a deep breath and going down to like 20feet). Seriously, i love to learn to dive. can someone teach me?
Olivier

Where are you from??

Right now I live in Somerville, NJ but back then (25 years ago in Viet Nam, first in Saigon then Vung Tau. My house just 10mins walk to the ocean)
So, do i get a dive lesson?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Olivier said:
Right now I live in Somerville, NJ but back then (25 years ago in Viet Nam, first in Saigon then Vung Tau. My house just 10mins walk to the ocean)

You need to find a local dive shop in your area to take lessons.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
saltwater4life said:
I got certified last May but haven't dived since maybe this summer...
off topic but where are some cool local places to dive?

There is a whole ocean off our coast that is a great place to dive. Where are you located? I am hoping to do a dive at Shark River in Belmar in a couple weeks. Last check the water there was 42F so just need it to come up a few more degrees. May 1 I'll be heading out to Bainbridge, PA for the first quarry dive of the year and May 22 is the first scheduled wreck dive.

Damn Matt!! Your going to start diving already!! I'm looking at not diving off the coast until at least end of June, July. You must REALLY like the cold LOL. And what's in Bainbridge?? Did you make it to BTS?? I was there on Saturday.

panmanmatt said:
Olivier said:

You need to find a local dive shop in your area to take lessons.

local shop !! are you kidding me? I am in Somerville, NJ where all shallow river lead to ocean :) the only place RIGHT NOW that I can swim and dive is Bound Brook and those area that flood near by me :))). Sorry I just make a joke that might not be funny for those folks in these flooding zone. Please ignore me.

A quick search on PADI's website gave me these shops:

The Scuba Connection S-18873
Mountain View Plaza
856 Route 206
Hillsborough, NJ 08844

Ocean Explorers Aquatic Center S-1867
180 Lafayette Avenue
Edison, NJ 08837

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
9supratt4 said:
**** Matt!!  Your going to start diving already!!  I'm looking at not diving off the coast until at least end of June, July.  You must REALLY like the cold LOL.  And what's in Bainbridge??  Did you make it to BTS??  I was there on Saturday.

Steve, I am dying to get wet. I haven't been in the water since November 29, 2009, I think I'm starting to dry out. By June/July I am hoping to have about a 1/2 dozen dives in. Bainbridge is a limestone dive quarry, similar to Dutch but smaller,http://www.divebsc.com/. I'll be doing the first 2 of my 8 check out dives for my AOW.

Yeah I was at BTS on Saturday too. Got there around 10ish and left around 2. Then had lunch at Outback before heading home.

HAHAHA I got there around 2 and stayed until 5 until going over to Bazooka's with a bunch of people from The Dive Shop to have some drinks...got home around Midnight.

And I hear you!! I haven't been diving since around then either!! I can't wait to get in the water!! 8 Dives?? I only had to do 5...weird.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The AOW is also an intro to wreck course custom designed by the owner of Atlantic Divers and approved by NAUI that's the reason for the extra dives. It's actually 8 objectives, some can be done in the same dive but he likes to break each one down into it's own dive. Which is fine by me as it means more time in the water.

I ended up getting 2 sets of HP120's instead of the 100's.

I just booked myself and my girlfriend on 3 boat trips for this year....2 on the Antlantus and 1 on the Dina Dee. Anyone else book local trips?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I did my first trip this past Saturday on the Dina Dee and have 3 more scheduled with them and 1 on the Sea Lion.

What trip did you book on the Dina Dee?

August 21 on the Dina Dee.

I REALLY want to get in the water!! What were the conditions at depth? And what did you dive on?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We dove the Great Isaac, surface vis was 30+ft and temp was 58F. At 90' temp was 46F and vis of 15-20'.

My next trip is June 13 on the DD again.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A few pics from the dive.

5-22-2010006.jpg

5-22-2010012.jpg

5-22-2010014.jpg

5-22-2010015.jpg

And this is my son/dive buddy doing our safety hang.
5-22-2010016.jpg

Thanks Matt!! You sure know how to make a man jealous HAHAHA ;D

I can't wait to get in the water!! 47-degrees at 90 is not that bad...by the time my first dive comes around in July it should be much warmer though!!

I'm going to try to get up to Dutch too just to dive somewhere!!

Did you end up chartering the boat for your son's graduation?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
By July it may be in the mid 50's.

No, I wasn't able to charter the boat for his graduation.

Mid-50's would be really nice!!

I really want to get in the water!!

Too bad you couldn't get it...that would have been an awesome gift!