• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back to my first saltwater tank

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
OMG. I have no clue what IPC test is but why do you need to rely on it? Can you not test your own parameters? I mean you have a 30 gallon system and you are spending $$ to test the parameters? I cannot believe how many rip off solutions are being added to this hobby each day.

Dude - Keep it simple. Why pay extra $$ to someone for something that is so simple?? You want me to come and test every single parameter you want in your tank, let me know.

Just remember small tanks are hard to keep because of parameter swings. However, just regular water changes should take care of most of the issues.

Alas! This hobby is supposed to be relaxing but I see how hobbyist just lose their sleep over it.

Just venting and SMH. These so called tests are just another way to take advantage of a genuine guy/gal who love their fish and corals.

Sorry, I am done venting :(

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Sunny I do agree with you. I went with this test for a couple of reason.

1. I wanted to see how it work
2. I have yet seen corals die within hours of putting them in my tank (which happen twice to me) so I know something has to be way off. The kits I have everything seems normal. I know I'm missing other elements to test for so I decided to try this to try and pinpoint the issue without trying to pick up other kits trying to find the kit I need.

As I said I agree with you this is more or less just to mess around. I know I said I was going to use it to judge my contiune with this tank or not but I think I decided i am going to continue

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
@Sunny I do agree with you. I went with this test for a couple of reason.

1. I wanted to see how it work
2. I have yet seen corals die within hours of putting them in my tank (which happen twice to me) so I know something has to be way off. The kits I have everything seems normal. I know I'm missing other elements to test for so I decided to try this to try and pinpoint the issue without trying to pick up other kits trying to find the kit I need.

As I said I agree with you this is more or less just to mess around. I know I said I was going to use it to judge my contiune with this tank or not but I think I decided i am going to continue

I cannot say anything about #1 above.
#2 - How do you know that the coral was healthy before you put it in your system? Did you pick it up or was it shipped? How did you acclimate it? SPS or LPS. Did you test the water that it came in?

There are so many things that can be an issue than YOUR system. Think about it.

Sunny

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well it contiunes with my dislike for this test kit already. So I mailed it out with two stamps ($1) on it cause as I stated there were no directions or note about how much to put on. I get it returned with a note saying it needs $2.50 more in stamps. Lucky I had another 5 stamps to put on this thing and mail it out.

@Sunny we all know you like to pretend you don't know SPS but its hard to hide the fact you do lol.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
First and formost even more neg review on that ICP test. I am sure they said they would alert me when my results were up. I have not heard from them at all. Not even an alert stating they got my sample. For fun I logged into the site and see that there are results up there. Here are my numbers and looks like I am going to break this tank down and start over or something. Don't think I really have the time to try and fix it nor to upkeep the tank.
Now they compare to Fiji
my numbers - Fiji number (status)
Silver (Ag) - 0ppm - 0ppm (low)
Aluminum (Al) - 0.08ppm - 0.05ppm (level)
Arsenic (As) - 0.01ppm - 0.01ppm (level)
Boron (B) - 6.69ppm - 4.57ppm (level)
Barium (Ba) - 0.01ppm - 0ppm (level)
Beryllium (Be) - 0ppm - 0ppm (level)
Bromine (Br) - 37.72ppm - 81.72ppm (level)
Calcium (Ca) - 539.13ppm - 397.67ppm (high)
Cadmium (Cd) - 0ppm - 0ppm (level)
Cerium (Ce) - 0ppm - 0ppm (level)
Chlorine (Cl) - 22464.42ppm - 19415.12ppm (high)
Cobalt (Co) - 0.01ppm - 0.15ppm (level)
Chromium (Cr) - 0ppm - 0.08ppm (level)
Copper(Cu) - 0.01ppm - 0ppm (level)
Iron (Fe) - 0ppm - 0ppm (level)
Gallium (Ga) - 0.04ppm - 0.96ppm (level)
Iodine (I) - 0.05ppm - 0.03ppm (level)
Potassium (K) - 450.2ppm - 384.69 ppm (high)
Lanthanum (La) - 0.01ppm - 0.01ppm (level)
Lithium (Li) - 0.65ppm - 0.18ppm (level)
Magnesium (Mg) - 1559.49ppm - 1239.34ppm (high)
Manganese (Mn) - 0ppm - 0ppm (level)
Molybdenum (Mo) - 0ppm - 0.23ppm (level)
Sodium(Na) - 12060.23ppm - 9729.05ppm (high)
Nickel (Ni) - 0.01ppm - 0.01ppm (level)
Phodphorus (P) - 0.2ppm - 0.09ppm (level)
Lead(Pb) - 0ppm - 0ppm (level)
Rubidium (Rb) - 0ppm - 0ppm (level)
Sulfur (S) - 1326.54ppm - 895.65ppm (high)
Antimony (Sb) - 0.01ppm - 0ppm (level)
Selenium (Se) - 0ppm - 0.05ppm (level)
Silicon (Si) - 0.01ppm - 0.21ppm (level)
Tin (Sn) - 0ppm - 0.01ppm (level)
Strontium (Sr) - 12.92ppm - 10.16ppm (level)
Titanium (Ti) - oppm - 0ppm (level)
Thallium (Tl) - 0ppm - 0ppm (level)
Uranium (U) - 0ppm - 0.09ppm (level)
Vanadium (V) - 0.01ppm - 0.06ppm (level)
Tungsten (W) - 0.01ppm - 0ppm (level)
Zinc (Zn) - 0.01ppm - 0ppm (level)