• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back to my first saltwater tank

horseplay

NJRC Member
James, If you want to do something real simple you can just use your canister for now. I would keep the bio-load low, like a pair of clowns and some micro fish. No angels. Keep some macro algae in the tank, like dragon breathe and caulerpa. Maybe cover 25% of the tank with macros. 10% bi-weekly WC. You might be able to get away with that. Then later on add a HOB skimmer as needed.

I have some pretty decent rocks if you want, free. Should have enough for your tank.

Good luck with the new build James. Glad to see your getting a tank going if u need any softies I can offer you what I have,if you want to come up this way,or maybe finding a meeting spot half way.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
James, If you want to do something real simple you can just use your canister for now. I would keep the bio-load low, like a pair of clowns and some micro fish. No angels. Keep some macro algae in the tank, like dragon breathe and caulerpa. Maybe cover 25% of the tank with macros. 10% bi-weekly WC. You might be able to get away with that. Then later on add a HOB skimmer as needed.

I have some pretty decent rocks if you want, free. Should have enough for your tank.

Thanks man didn't think about keeping macro in the tank. I do like the idea of dragon breath. I wanted some on my 54 but figured my tangs would eat it.

Sent pm about the rocks

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Good luck with the new build James. Glad to see your getting a tank going if u need any softies I can offer you what I have,if you want to come up this way,or maybe finding a meeting spot half way.

Thanks man. Will keep that in mind once the tank is cycled.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok I was thinking more about stocking my tank last night/this morning. This is what I think I am going to do

• 2 - 4 clowns (more leaning to the 2 side but like seeing fish swim around)
  • 1 - 2 banggai cardinal (only if I go with 2 clowns)
  • some macro like dragon breath or something like that
  • annems (I would like a couple different ones, rainbow, rock, etc...)
  • a touch or hammer (maybe)
  • a shrimp (either fire or sexy or something like that)
  • CUC

Have you had experience having more that 2 clowns in a tank. Ive always wanted to do a tank of a few different kinds of clowns, but everything I read says to only keep 1 pair unless you have a huge tank, ( Im thinking that 12 foot long tank on here a month or so a go would be able to)?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Have you had experience having more that 2 clowns in a tank. Ive always wanted to do a tank of a few different kinds of clowns, but everything I read says to only keep 1 pair unless you have a huge tank, ( Im thinking that 12 foot long tank on here a month or so a go would be able to)?

I read the same thing about clowns; one of the reasons I am more thinking 2 than 4. In old tank I had two false clowns that paired up. I had them for about a year but they wouldn't go anywhere near my nems. I decided to try a tomato clown out. The tomato went right into the nem but then both my tomato and female false both bullied the male false clown and he dies before I could get him out

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Only two clowns in that size tank.....assuming they are mated. If you put in four, it would eventually be two anyway. Remember, clowns are damsels...the meanest fish, pound for pound.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Only two clowns in that size tank.....assuming they are mated. If you put in four, it would eventually be two anyway. Remember, clowns are damsels...the meanest fish, pound for pound.

Yea I understand that, again reason I am more thinking 2 than 4. Depending how things go I might look at the more special clowns and get two of those in hope they pair up. I always liked the black ice ones (i think that the name of them)

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
First step is to get my equipment from storage and see what I need to purchase just to get tank cycling. It seem to work quickly on my girl's tank so I am going to try the frozen shrimp/fish cycle process again.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well stand in and light mounted. I need to run the wires nicely but did test the light out.

Now the one Kessil 360we does a good job of covering the tank but the issue is I have this support bar going across the tank which gives a shadow down the middle of the tank.

Now I'm thinking (depending on the rocks I get) of leaving the middle open and building like two island that will get light.

IMG_20170322_064906.jpg IMG_20170322_064916.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So today I did some wiring up.IMG_20170325_194321.jpg
IMG_20170325_194340.jpg

Tomorrow I will be picking up some rock. I'm still debating on if I want to purchase the hob fug with light, get my canister filter up and running, or maybe and try to get a 5g or 10g tank and run that as a sump/fug (just not sure where I could plumbed it yet. Just thinking but hopefully to pick a route soon so I can get water and the tank going.