• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back to my first saltwater tank

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I'm running a 29gallon off the skimmer you gave me and it's doing great. Keep build simple start with skimmer and pump and if f nessacary put fuge on it.

Hey that's great that the skimmer working well for you. That's a good idea was looking at a hob skimmer maybe go with that first.

Yea it's working really well I modified the return side pond pump pre-filter from home depo , drilled out all air intakes to 1/8" then put collection cup from 125 on it give me a wider neck for bubbles. But I would look into it saves space(cabinet can be used for ato and storage instead of sump.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
In the above image the 'tide cat' container is what I am going to do as my top off holder. The more I am think about it the more I am leaning to the HOB refgu

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Got home from @horseplay with some rock. I then did a 20min bath in muriatic acid. Rock is now soaking in clean water for 1 hour. I also decided and order a CPR hob refugium with light. I decided this because I never done a refugium before and figure it be neat to try. IMG_20170326_111912.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Can't tell exactly from this last picture because the tank looks slanted, but make sure to have the fuge level. I used an app on my phone to check mine.
Must be the pictures (I did kinda of rush it) cause I took my time mounting it to make sure it sat nice. I also did what you suggested and downloaded a level app and it sat nice and level.

That rock on the right is really interesting looking with all the "knobs" on it. Do you plan on adding more rocks or going with this? I like the caves on the left side.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
That rock on the right is really interesting looking with all the "knobs" on it. Do you plan on adding more rocks or going with this? I like the caves on the left side.

Yes that rock is sweet looking. My plan (and we all know how plans go) is to make that rock full of nems. The other area (depends on how the nems react) might become space for SPS or LPS (like hammer/frog spawn/ etc..) Now sure if I will add more rock. I kinda like the minimal rock look but also enjoy heavy rock work in a tank (my old tank had a lot of rock in it)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Now wait for the hob fug and order some live stand.

Highly advise against a live stand.

Initially, when I purchased my first live stand I went with, like so many others, a dog, believing that he would follow me around with the tank on his back, allowing me to enjoy the tank at all times.
Unfortunately the wire tangles were quite a concern. With an outbreak of fleas and constant scratching I was running 50-60% water changes per hour to keep up levels.
On a dash through the doggie door I lost most of the tank due to clearance issues.

My neighbor has suggested a platform suspended between a gaggle of ferrets, but I'm pretty sure that would lead to disaster.

I'm considered a large tortise. They are much slower and seem less prone to splashing and water loss due to movement.
Will report back in with review.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well it took awhile but there is now water in the tank. I dropped some frozen shrimp in to help cycle the tank. I was also able to move things around and get my controller, which I am building, closer so I can control equipment.

Right now I have my fuge light come on at 01:00:00 and go off at 06:00:00. Currently I have no macro algae in the tank. I hope this schedule is good but if not I can work on changing that.

I also have my heater plugged into the system. I already have email and text alerts for high/low temps but now I can put the safe guard of killing the outlet if my heater locks in the 'on position'.

Hopefully I will post a pic tonight with the Kessil on.

IMG_20170403_055848.jpg