• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

blange3's 180 upgrade

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Bill, it will look perfect in the living room.

Cindy, really it will. It is extremely relaxing to watch. Watching a fish tank has been proven to reduce blood pressure. ;D

Can't wait too see it up and running.

Thanks everyone!

So Cindy says to me tonight, "If we put the TV in that corner and a few chairs here and the tank stays there......." ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like this may stay upstairs.

Of course that means it can't get filled until we get carpeting, which will now happen as soon as George W mails out his parting bribe to us.

I will have to fill it with fresh water to prove it won't be too noisy.

So after worrying about how I'm going to protect the brand new carpet from water damage I came to the conclusion that I will probably plumb a sump in the basement.

Which means:

The under tank already plumbed sump and fittings get scrapped

I have to figure out what one of those big rubbermaid stock tanks cost's

I'll have to upgrade to a much bigger pump than the mag18 I already had or the low watt Quietone 4000 I was planning on for the undertank sump.

I have to clean and reorganize another whole section of the basement. ::)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
blange3 said:
So after worrying about how I'm going to protect the brand new carpet from water damage I came to the conclusion that I will probably plumb a sump in the basement.

Which means:

The under tank already plumbed sump and fittings get scrapped

I have to figure out what one of those big rubbermaid stock tanks cost's

I'll have to upgrade to a much bigger pump than the mag18 I already had or the low watt Quietone 4000 I was planning on for the undertank sump.

I have to clean and reorganize another whole section of the basement. ::)

That's a great move Bill. I was going to suggest it the night we moved the tank but at that point we were still trying to convince you to keep it upstairs. I got the feeling that that suggestion would have pushed Cindy way over the edge and she would have made you put the tank back up for sale!

Actually John, other than cost I think she will prefer the basment approach. We just had a serious discussion about it while I was typing this.

I just checked the Mag18 specs and according to the head loss calculator on RC I can use this pump for now. So the only increase in cost will be the stock tank and the plumbing stuff for now.

Why not keep the sump under the tank and either drill for it for an overflow into the basement or add standpipes to it? It could then be used as a settlement chamber / acclimation tank / "time out" tank for bad behavior.

Jcurry@wesketch said:
Why not keep the sump under the tank and either drill for it for an overflow into the basement or add standpipes to it? It could then be used as a settlement chamber / acclimation tank / "time out" tank for bad behavior.

That's a great idea Jeff, but I want to minimize noise and spill opportunities as much as possible in the living area. Honey has a low tolerance for noise and carpet stains. ;D

I just might use it that way in the basement.

Looks like stock tanks won't break me. Can't wait to get home tonight to start measuring the area I want to use.

Some questions for the big tank folks.

Since staying in the living area requires re-carpeting, do I carpet the whole floor and put the tank on top of the carpet? Or is it better to have the stand on the sub-floor and carpet around the stand?

I did't think about floor supports. The tank is across the joists next to the wall were the cross beam (proper term?) runs. Do I need to reinforce?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Our tank is over carpet, and we have no problems with that. Taz had his tank carpeted around and now selling the house is forced to do something about the flooring prior to moving. I'd go ahead and floor under it, unless you could figure out a way that with the tank out of the room, it would still look good.

Phyl said:
Our tank is over carpet, and we have no problems with that. Taz had his tank carpeted around and now selling the house is forced to do something about the flooring prior to moving. I'd go ahead and floor under it, unless you could figure out a way that with the tank out of the room, it would still look good.

Thanks Phyl. I thought yours was on the carpet. I didn't know if that had a negative impact on stability. I was concerned about leaving a bare spot as well.

Did you brace the floor?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No floor bracing. Billy did floor bracing (but that is a BEAST). We took a 120 off that spot, so it didn't seem so dramatic to go to a 180 there instead. We are perpendicular to the joists and there is a major support beam going parallel there as well. The age of the house may play into whether or not you want to sure it up with a little extra bracing, but we have a happy false sense of security.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bill. No supports are necessary for your tank. I remember where your girder was in the basement.

Thanks Phyl and thanks Mike.

That's the word I was looking for! The tank sits right along the girder.

Went looking at furniture and carpet is next. We had some shakey moments this weekend but I think we are set with living room being the tank room! :D

Jcurry@wesketch said:
what size are your floor joists? It's over crawl space right?

I'll check.

It's over a full basement. It's in the front room, not the family room which is over a crawl space. That floor would require work.