• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble Algae

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Been sick for a few days and slowly noticed some bubble algae growing and today it looks bad. Some rock I can take out and clean others not. Also overflow is is bad. Any suggestions on how to remove it other than manual.

Attachments

• IMG_20180325_183003_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180325_183003_hdr.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20180325_183019_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180325_183019_hdr.jpg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20180325_183010_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180325_183010_hdr.jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 35
Been sick for a few days and slowly noticed some bubble algae growing and today it looks bad. Some rock I can take out and clean others not. Also overflow is is bad. Any suggestions on how to remove it other than manual.

Emerald crab will eat it but you may not want a crab in your reef. But they will eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Marcus, good call. I did a little research this morning. Stuck my hand in the tank to see if the bubbles were hard and they were not. It was squishy and popped easily and a gas bubble went right to the surface. I can pull the three rocks out and clean them, siphon sand but not sure on overflow; I assume siphon.
When all is done how do I keep them a bay? I don't feed much and even skip a day in between.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
As far as i know, there isn't a solid, bullet-proof way to rid yourself of Dinos. You could try a few things: Vibrant - Which i have mixed views about but worth a shot, Micro Scrubbing, or just removing the pieces from your display.

hopefully some other folks can chime in.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I haven't but I know folks like Mike Paletta do utilize this method. In essence, you are turning your DT into a giant skimmer. I've seen it done where folks would add a wooden air stone to flood the tank with bubbles. From there they lift up dirt and what not into the overflow

from the consensus, it's usually done for only about a few hours per day

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member

The scrubber is way out of my price range. There is just no room under the stand to add any type of reactor. The sump has no room either. This is why I was thinking HOB its not to unsightly being small, plus its cheap. I am hoping by adding cheato this will help with the algae/dino issues.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
the reactor can go outside or behind your stand if space is an issue, You just need some vinyl hose and a pump. But if you do run a HOB fuge, as long as you run it opposite your lighting schedule you will be ok, as long as it's sized properly

A refugium is not going to do much against dinos people have been having success with hydrogen peroxide dosing and UV sterilizers but dinos are hard to beat. If you're testing zero for phosphates and nitrates you might want think about dosing phosphates and nitrates to help beat dinos. Dinos usually appears when your phosphates and nitrates are unbalanced.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I read Dino is from excess nutrients. I figured manual removal and cheto in the fug e would help with excess nutrients. Also, read about peroxide but dosing. Trying to limit my dosing if possible. I'm going on vacation 1st week of April and trying prevention getting any worse while away.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So I ordered the items in hopes to make a mini fuge. Water is being made now too.
Tomorrow will siphon out what I can and clean the rocks.
I will also start dosing peroxide at 1ml per 10g. I estimate 80g total volume for DT and sump which is 8ml daily.
If this sounds wrong please let me know.