• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Classklown's 40B SPS Paradise

I have a one day break from school before finals start so I took advantage of this and the poor weather and did some maintence. Tested my mag which I do maybe 4 times a year. Spot on at 1410. Thanks reef crystals. Decided to take topdowns of a few colonies I have. All raw shots with no editing. Taken by my Galaxy S4

Hairy pink tabling milli
tuhe9eze.jpg

Tyree Microphalma
ebavyha4.jpg

Ora ponape birdsnest (This one came out pretty crappy)
5u6e9ada.jpg

Finally my favorite sps in my tank. This is its true color to the naked eye and its consistent everywhere, not just from viewing top down.

ASD Ice stag
hyqyvyre.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I love that Millie

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Damn Kyle, those SPS are looking lovely and I see that you've gotten some nice zoas! keep up the great collection man.

let me know when you have some frags man, ill definitely be interested!

Damn Kyle, those SPS are looking lovely and I see that you've gotten some nice zoas! keep up the great collection man.

let me know when you have some frags man, ill definitely be interested!

Thanks judeo. Nowhere near your collection but ive got about 30 or so highend zoas now in the frag tank and then those few (my favorites) in the display. Let me know what you like, maybe we can do some trading when things are ready.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks judeo. Nowhere near your collection but ive got about 30 or so highend zoas now in the frag tank and then those few (my favorites) in the display. Let me know what you like, maybe we can do some trading when things are ready.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Definitely, I am currently in grow out mode but definitely dude when the time comes!

Gorgeous corals man.
Good luck on your finals btw, hope you don't get screwed as bad as I'm about to lol.

Lol I just presented as part of my final for an animal behaviorist class and did it on clownfish protandry which was a cool topic for me. Im not worried about my other 3 except for organic chem but thank you, im sure you will be fine. Where do you go to school?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Rutgers, studying animal science.
As long as you don't have an evil prof orgo isn't supposed to be too bad. Though here at RU there is one guy called boikes who makes it impossible. So glad I'm done with that.

Rutgers, studying animal science.
As long as you don't have an evil prof orgo isn't supposed to be too bad. Though here at RU there is one guy called boikes who makes it impossible. So glad I'm done with that.

Are you on the new brunswick campus? We have a similar professor who is trying to give us all the exceptions on the exams.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lol I just presented as part of my final for an animal behaviorist class and did it on clownfish protandry which was a cool topic for me.

Kyle, your comment about your animal behavior final caught my interest. I am degreed in Biology (and Chemistry), albeit 40 years ago. I also say this with ignorance because I’ve never looked into the voodoo magic that goes on with sexing clownfish. However, I never would have guessed it to be protandry (typical with plants and a few inverts)….I had been told that the young were actually sexless, until they flipped a coin, and someone lost! :eek: Anyway, how did you tie in animal behavior and the flipping of a coin to determine sex? Is this sex determination thing environmental, age related, lack of presence of other males (or females)…..I’m curious in what you found….and please, the Reader’s Digest version with simple words. Thanks.

Kyle, your comment about your animal behavior final caught my interest. I am degreed in Biology (and Chemistry), albeit 40 years ago. I also say this with ignorance because I’ve never looked into the voodoo magic that goes on with sexing clownfish. However, I never would have guessed it to be protandry (typical with plants and a few inverts)….I had been told that the young were actually sexless, until they flipped a coin, and someone lost! :eek: Anyway, how did you tie in animal behavior and the flipping of a coin to determine sex? Is this sex determination thing environmental, age related, lack of presence of other males (or females)…..I’m curious in what you found….and please, the Reader’s Digest version with simple words. Thanks.

Paul here is some info: Sequential hermaphroditism occurs when the individual is born one sex and changes sex at some point in their life. They can change from a male to female (protandry) or female to male which is protogyny. Clowns are born male. And one in a cluster becomes dominant female, usually determined by largest size so this is essentially based on growth rate and then a second male becomes dominant male who reproduces with the female also determined by size. All others in the school or cluster remain juveniles. If the dominant female dies then the dominant male becomes female and the next largest male will grow at an accelerated rate and take the place as dominant male.There are occasionally 2 dominant males which is why you can sometimes have a triple binded pair. The clownfish males have latent ovaries that develop and dissolve the testes whenthey become female. This is why they cannot revert back

My paper was focused on two things. 1. How protandry is more beneficial to these fish than fish with born sex determination and an inavility to change it and also the external parasitic disease fighting benefit that their mutalistic relationship with anemones provides due to the nemacyst in their tentacles. I also performed 3 controlled experiments to test and back up these claims that both characteristics are not only advantageous to survivability of the indivual and species as a whole but also, ultimately for greater reproductive succes.

If you are interested in anything else, pm me. I love talking bio :p

Sent from my Galaxy S4

the interesting thing is that there seems to be more to it than just size. something else can also determine final status.
i got a pair of picassos, and they were similar in size, with one being slightly larger, but both being male-sized and not female yet. but the larger one hasnt grown, and the smaller one grew out to now be slightly larger, and is dominant - bullies the other one away from food, and the other one does the twitchy submission gesture. so the smaller one is becoming the female.
of course this is anecdotal - not trying to claim statistical significance.

the interesting thing is that there seems to be more to it than just size. something else can also determine final status.
i got a pair of picassos, and they were similar in size, with one being slightly larger, but both being male-sized and not female yet. but the larger one hasnt grown, and the smaller one grew out to now be slightly larger, and is dominant - bullies the other one away from food, and the other one does the twitchy submission gesture. so the smaller one is becoming the female.
of course this is anecdotal - not trying to claim statistical significance.

See you are comparing it to clowns in a home aquaria which act and adjust differently than a natural cluster. I had to be careful to avoid these biases in my report.

Also being Picasso, I bet they are tank bred

Sent from my Galaxy S4