• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Classklown's 40B SPS Paradise

yes i am. :)
i understand that that kind of upheaval is uncommon in nature, but not unheard of - storms might similarly dislocate them into a new environment.
a professor im doing research with had a paper criticized where he showed that sexual size dimorphism in a lizard was due to testosterone acting to inhibit growth. he was criticized for his methodology of identifying, then setting up groups (control males, castrates, and females) and releasing them into an outdoors enclosed area. the argument was that the data may not hold in a lab setting.
just cuz it happens in a glass cube doesnt mean it doesnt mean anything.
but i suspect even in aquaria size is a large player. just thought what mine had was interesting.

they damn well better be tank bred! got them from a guy who gets wholesale orders in from ORA. saw him cut open a large box with ORAs logo, find 2 bags with ORA stickers and the label "ORA Picasso Clownfish" and give em to me.
funny thing is they dont like flake food... eat pellets just fine though lol

yes i am. :)
i understand that that kind of upheaval is uncommon in nature, but not unheard of - storms might similarly dislocate them into a new environment.
a professor im doing research with had a paper criticized where he showed that sexual size dimorphism in a lizard was due to testosterone acting to inhibit growth. he was criticized for his methodology of identifying, then setting up groups (control males, castrates, and females) and releasing them into an outdoors enclosed area. the argument was that the data may not hold in a lab setting.
just cuz it happens in a glass cube doesnt mean it doesnt mean anything.
but i suspect even in aquaria size is a large player. just thought what mine had was interesting.

they damn well better be tank bred! got them from a guy who gets wholesale orders in from ORA. saw him cut open a large box with ORAs logo, find 2 bags with ORA stickers and the label "ORA Picasso Clownfish" and give em to me.
funny thing is they dont like flake food... eat pellets just fine though lol

That lab seems very interesting. Id be curious to hear more maybe via pm.

Lol for the price you prob paid, they better be.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Kyle, good stuff, thanks for the synopsis I’ve learned something today. But I have one more question….from this statement, “…the external parasitic disease fighting benefit that their mutalistic relationship with anemones provides due to the nemacyst in their tentacles.”

Are you saying that the nematocysts in the anemone fight off parasitic diseases in the clowns? ……That these little stinging cells in fact “sting” parasites to death….that’s cool.

Hey Kyle, good stuff, thanks for the synopsis I’ve learned something today. But I have one more question….from this statement, “…the external parasitic disease fighting benefit that their mutalistic relationship with anemones provides due to the nemacyst in their tentacles.”

Are you saying that the nematocysts in the anemone fight off parasitic diseases in the clowns? ……That these little stinging cells in fact “sting” parasites to death….that’s cool.
Thanks for the interest paul.

Yes but notice my key word "external" because they have removed spots of the slime coat and attached to the scales. As you know, clowns can only host anemones due to their mucus coat so the spots that the ich have attached are essentially "burned" off from the fish vecause no mucus coat is left. The stinging is essentially attacking the fish but is localized to the spot the ich have attached because the rest of the body still has the mucus coat. It in the very least causes the ich to detach. Its not enough to cure the fish and make it survive but it heightens the survival rate versus other fish. Though ich isnt very prevalent in the wild, it can also apply to pararsitic external worms, copepods etc. This is another reason why clowns have a 6 times lobger lifespan than similar reef fiah of their size. Of course that is largely due to the ohysical protection the anemone provides from predators.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

doesnt seem like a stretch - anemones eat pods. if a bloodsucking pod is on a clown, and the clown rubs it against cnidocysts, why would the anemone not kill and eat it?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
doesnt seem like a stretch - anemones eat pods. if a bloodsucking pod is on a clown, and the clown rubs it against cnidocysts, why would the anemone not kill and eat it?

You make it sound like an anemone has cognitive reasoning in killing....or wanting to eat a parasite...which doesn't happen. Unfortuantely nematocysts are simply triggered by touch. The animal could be dead and the mematocyst will still be triggered by touch and sting you. I know this first hand with jellyfish. So the anemone is not consciously stinging parasites on clownfish….it’s just doing its “knee jerk” response to touch of it’s trigger stinging cells. As Dick Vitale would say, "It's serendipity baby!"

no i understand that.
what i meant was that the anemone has evolved to eat various invertebrates such as crustaceans. so when a clownfish rubs a crustacean against it, it stands to reason that the sting will harm that crustacean - unlike when you touch most anemones where its sticky, but doesnt even cause any pain or damage.
i dont think its serendipity as much as coevolution - like pollinators and flowering plants.

You make it sound like an anemone has cognitive reasoning in killing....or wanting to eat a parasite...which doesn't happen. Unfortuantely nematocysts are simply triggered by touch. The animal could be dead and the mematocyst will still be triggered by touch and sting you. I know this first hand with jellyfish. So the anemone is not consciously stinging parasites on clownfish….it’s just doing its “knee jerk” response to touch of it’s trigger stinging cells. As Dick Vitale would say, "It's serendipity baby!"

Yes exactly. Another test was done where the clownfish mucus was removed and it became lunch. They show no prejudice. Were it not for the mucus coat then the mutalism would not exist.

But anyway thanks for the compliments everyone. I have a delivery coming from fedex in the am. Excited

Sent from my Galaxy S4

That was a really interesting read! Very cool

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Thank you

I agree was very interesting.
Since clowns 'sleep' in the anemone that they host does that further disrupt the life cyle of ich?

Thanks. Yes anytime it is in contact with the tentacles. The anemone is essentially trying to eat the clown by stinging it because the mucus coat is gone but since the ich is there now, the ich is attacked instead. Like I said though ich is more of a home aquaria parasite but a parasitic copepod is a better example but that was not an option. The copepod would be irritated enough by the stinging to release from the clowns. This shows another reason how the anemone is beneficial to the clown. I didnt want to take an obvious route and say how the anemone provides physical protection from predators because that is comkon knowledge after finding nemo lol so I tried a less explored route.

All the interest is very cool. Thanks guys

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Update

So I ordered some acropower and just set it up tonight. Ill post any changes with pic proof; I took a pic of everything before to compare it too also. I've never bought into supplements but this one got me curious. For only $7 a bottle, I'll give it a shot

za4unehe.jpg
ju2e4uzy.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I've been hears some really good stuff about the acro power. Keep us updated.

There was a write up on R2R on this stuff sounds like it really works going to place an order this week. how is that doser working out for kyle any problems with it want to pull the trigger on one but little worried was it hard to dial in?

There was a write up on R2R on this stuff sounds like it really works going to place an order this week. how is that doser working out for kyle any problems with it want to pull the trigger on one but little worried was it hard to dial in?

Yeah ive been following that thread dan. As far as the dosers go they are great. Makes life easy. Essy to dial on just download the manual and cheap. Best part is that third channel that lets me dose acropower over the week rather than all at once

2 days in and I have PE on acros that never did until night time. I'm remaining skeptical so that I dont get a placebo effect BUT I watch my tank everyday and never saw polyps until now on those 2 pieces. Nothing else was changed, take it as you will