• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dan's 150 Rebuild

Went out today and picked up 3 chromis. Gonna see how they do over the next week or so and if all is well, I'll start adding more livestock :)

Starting to get a lot of debris in the water column. Not sure if its from the turbos dusting up everything. I replaced my socks a couple days ago so I can't imagine its them not picking it up. Normally I'd replace them ever 2-3 days but there's nothing really in the tank so they take forever to get dirty.

Anyone know anything about dosing Hydrogen Peroxide? My rocks r starting to get fuzzy and I have a few lil bubbles here n there (might be dinos but not enough to really tell). I heard dosing HP helps out with this stuff. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I just let it run its course?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I would probably let it run its course to make sure, but I believe it is 1 ml for 10gs, but I would double check that.

I would probably let it run its course to make sure, but I believe it is 1 ml for 10gs, but I would double check that.
Yeah its not horrible, I just don't want it to get outta control. I'm working 12hr shifts all week so I'll just let my turbos go to town. Hopefully they'll help. I think I need more than 5 in my tank tho lol

If it's Dinos you will know because those turbos will be dead. Dinos kills snails. That's one sign of knowing you have them. They look like snot and they will stretch out and have a bubble on the end. Almost like a balloon on a string

If it's Dinos you will know because those turbos will be dead. Dinos kills snails. That's one sign of knowing you have them. They look like snot and they will stretch out and have a bubble on the end. Almost like a balloon on a string
Ok then definitely NOT dinos. I seen the turbos go over top of the bubbles so maybe its just trapped air? I dunno

Well a few of my macros are taking off! Pretty sweet. I am getting some brown film algae on the sand. I'll have to vacuum that out next water change although it doesn't looking like its stunting any of their growth :)

2 quick questions guys.

1. Which would you rely on more, salinity probe or refractometer?

2. I need to bring my salinity up, right now its around 1.023. Should I add some mixed water to my ATO and let it rise that way or just raise it with water changes?

2 quick questions guys.

1. Which would you rely on more, salinity probe or refractometer?

Either should work fine if properly calibrated.
2. I need to bring my salinity up, right now its around 1.023. Should I add some mixed water to my ATO and let it rise that way or just raise it with water changes?

Just use your make up water @ 1.026 for your top off until you get your DT where you want it, and then go back to plain RO/DI.

Either should work fine if properly calibrated.

Just use your make up water @ 1.026 for your top off until you get your DT where you want it, and then go back to plain RO/DI.
Well that's the thing, I'm getting 2 different results. I calibrated the probe twice to make sure. My probe is giving me 1.023 and my refractometer is giving me 1.025 so I'm not sure which to trust.

Does the refractometer have an auto temp correction, aka ATC? If so, let it sit for about 30 seconds before taking the reading. Although, considering these are hobby grade test equipment, and there is a certain margin of error, I think either reading is close enough for our purposes. Probes, and the associated wiring can be subject to interference if not properly shielded, so you might try rewiring the probe to see if it makes any difference, just out of curiosity.

Does the refractometer have an auto temp correction, aka ATC? If so, let it sit for about 30 seconds before taking the reading. Although, considering these are hobby grade test equipment, and there is a certain margin of error, I think either reading is close enough for our purposes. Probes, and the associated wiring can be subject to interference if not properly shielded, so you might try rewiring the probe to see if it makes any difference, just out of curiosity.
Thanks Jim, I figured its only a 0.001 difference so I can't see much going wrong. I'll set my salinity to 1.026 according to probe so that the refractometer will read 1.027 so either way I'm fine.