• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dan's 150 Rebuild

Before adding lights
87372ef5791a0ba3c6bcac35b80a7ecd.jpg

after adding lights
9b4b8b7cc97cdde8d969680c477a7ed7.jpg

Not a huge fan of the color but hey, it gets the job done! :) for only $13 too

Starting to look at livestock options. Scrolling through Liveaquaria, here's what I like(not all of them, just listing the ones I like)

Orange Shoulder Tang
Hippo Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Trio of Lyretail Anthias(MFF)
Redhead Solon Wrasse(not sure if it needs sand or not)
Elibi Red Stripe Angel
Blue Chromis
Blue Throat Male Trigger
Harlequin Tusk

I know theres a lot of big fish on this list and not all of them will make the cut, just listing my options.

I'm up for suggestions on personal favorites. What other kind of smaller fish would fit well?

Starting to look at livestock options. Scrolling through Liveaquaria, here's what I like(not all of them, just listing the ones I like)

Orange Shoulder Tang
Hippo Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Trio of Lyretail Anthias(MFF)
Redhead Solon Wrasse(not sure if it needs sand or not)
Elibi Red Stripe Angel
Blue Chromis
Blue Throat Male Trigger
Harlequin Tusk

I know theres a lot of big fish on this list and not all of them will make the cut, just listing my options.

I'm up for suggestions on personal favorites. What other kind of smaller fish would fit well?

I love the Orange shoulder, mine is about 6" the Orange is just starting to become bright, he is still fairly pale also but great personality imo. Chromis are great but expect to loose a couple, I have tried multiple times and still have only managed to keep a pair, the same pair. Also have the powder blue again great personality, colors are nice and bright.

I love the Orange shoulder, mine is about 6" the Orange is just starting to become bright, he is still fairly pale also but great personality imo. Chromis are great but expect to loose a couple, I have tried multiple times and still have only managed to keep a pair, the same pair. Also have the powder blue again great personality, colors are nice and bright.
I love the Orange tang too. I used to have one but it was short lived, he died from internal parasites :( he was beautiful tho. Very bright orange stripe.
Banded Cat Shark :p
Ya know? I've always wanted one but I think my tank is a little too small lol

Harlequin Tusk if you are doing FOWLER is such a cool fish IMHO...I would love to get one.
I love these guys! They are reef safe with caution tho. Says they like to munch on snails and inverts which I don't even have a sand bed so I don't think I'll have many of them

I had a buddy who had one in a 110 even when it was over 2 ft long. A 150 would be fine for it. Matter of fact, I have a egg that's almost hatched in my 75 lol. Once it gets bigger, I'm gonna set up the 150 I have and that'll be its permanent home.

And no to the sand. Not required. A plus, but not required. I kept one in a bare bottom tank for a while until I sold it.

Last edited:
I had a buddy who had one in a 110 even when it was over 2 ft long. A 150 would be fine for it. Matter of fact, I have a egg that's almost hatched in my 75 lol. Once it gets bigger, I'm gonna set up the 150 I have and that'll be its permanent home.

And no to the sand. Not required. A plus, but not required. I kept one in a bare bottom tank for a while until I sold it.
I would love to, but they're not Reef safe at all I don't believe and I know I'm gonna go back to having corals eventually lol plus won't it eat little fish?

It takes a long time before they can eat any fish, and even then, usually only smaller fish. My buddy's 110 was a reef lol. With tons of fish. It will eat snails/hermits/crabs/shrimp though. So that is one concern. But it won't mess with corals. I'm okay with repopulating my CUC, because I get the stuff at wholesale cost. Most snails/hermits cost about 20 cents when I buy em in bulk. So, that's something else to keep in mind!

It takes a long time before they can eat any fish, and even then, usually only smaller fish. My buddy's 110 was a reef lol. With tons of fish. It will eat snails/hermits/crabs/shrimp though. So that is one concern. But it won't mess with corals. I'm okay with repopulating my CUC, because I get the stuff at wholesale cost. Most snails/hermits cost about 20 cents when I buy em in bulk. So, that's something else to keep in mind!
I hear ya. I'm talking to a guy right now on FB that use to have a pair of them in his 150 for a couple years. Says he had no problem with them regarding other fish and whatnot

I think over the next week or so I'm gonna pick up a few chromis and see how they do. The turbo snails I bought are doing well. Cleaning a lot. I also got 5 trouches snails to help with cleaning. So far everything is good