• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Date for the next dive...

eholceker

NJRC Member
It has been a while. Been just really busy in every aspect you can think of! I am down for this dive. I ahve hit the bay a few times. Now tropicals yet though. August should be the best time.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd like to go a couple of times before the tropicals hit, just to go!

We've got nothing planned the weekend of the 21/22 or 28 of July. Anyone up for diving any of those days?

eholceker

NJRC Member
i am actaully going to be in puerto rico on business and then I am taking a 10 day cruise with the woman. A well deserved break after the last 3 months I have been through.

Phyl said:
I'd like to go a couple of times before the tropicals hit, just to go!

We've got nothing planned the weekend of the 21/22 or 28 of July. Anyone up for diving any of those days?

21/22 is not good for me, 28 is.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The 28th is the day before the next meeting, so everyone should factor that in as well.

C

concept3

sorry, won't be in state that weekend. I'll be on one of the fishing piers in California :) with a rod and the Nikon catching my own tropicals and sunsets!
leaving on the 25th, back 30th!

I can be ground support on the 22 or 28th - with kids in tow - they had a really good time last year.

if we go on August 19 or Sept 1 or 2 - Dalia and I we be certified and can dive too!

Eric

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK. Lets make the date August 19 for the Belmar Basin and Sept. 8 for Dutch Springs in PA. for that photo dive thingie. Hows that sound for everyone?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Dutch Springs day would be a good one for the kids. (I think its like $15 for kids for the water park area - Life vests required and provided).

I will volunteer as Divemaster and Underwater Tour guide (they just sunk a T35 airplane a few months ago), I know the place well as I am there with students all the time. We (Peter and I) would also volunteer to bring the Grill and do some cooking.
;D

Drat!

neither day is good for me. I have my last Cert dive on the 19th and a party to go to on the 8th. hmmm maybe i can have them do the dive at the Belmar Basin on the 18.... there's an idea. Slack tide is around 11:30 on the 19th..

Eric

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Phil,

What thickness wetsuit do you generally need for the Dutch Springs dive?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReefDrumz said:
Hey Phil,

I would guess either 6.5 or 7MM. Quarry's get really cold around 35' deep!

Unfortunately, we won't be able to make the Dutch Springs dive that day. We're throwing a 70th birthday party for Phyl's mom (yes, that's the second 70th birthday party we'll be throwing this year for those of you keeping score at home!). Rats!

Belmar basin sounds good, though. Either the 18th or the 19th should be OK for us.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReefDrumz said:

7mm. At the platforms (25ft), it is usally a balmy 70, but once you hit 40ft for the Commet, or the airplane. The thermocline is sudden - 15 degrees in 3 foot of water.

Always plan for 53 degree water. At the pump house at the bottom of the quarry its down to 44 degrees (100ft)

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll be updating this thread on page 1. We are doing a dive on Aug. 19th at Belmar Basin. I'll bring a Sein net for those of you that are not diveing. Come join in on the fun. I'll post a meeting place for the day of the dive in the next few days. Post here if you plan on attending and I'll keep updating page 1. Hope to see a lot of people there.

Hello everyone. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just got my open water cert. last week and was wondering if there is a forum dedicated to NJ diving that you guys go to? Also, is there a good shop you recommend in South Jersey? Thanks for your help.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
At this point it looks like John will be diving, Sierra, Zachary & I will be on the shore.

We don't have a forum dedicated to Scuba, not enough convo to warrant it. We've always used either Triton Divers on LBI or Underwater Discovery on 37 in Toms River (depending on where in "South Jersey" you are).

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
captnmorgan02 said:
Hello everyone. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just got my open water cert. last week and was wondering if there is a forum dedicated to NJ diving that you guys go to? Also, is there a good shop you recommend in South Jersey? Thanks for your help.

If you are into Jersey Wreck Diving, then Atlantic Divers in Pleasantville (EHT) is your best bet. 609-641-7722

eholceker

NJRC Member
Mike,

Are you diving at the bay? If not I would check for diving restrictions. A lot of sites are of limits during certain hours due to boat traffic. I am down to go dive that day actually. Just recently finished up my nitrox class and working on my rescue divers cert. Keep me posted.