• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Date for the next dive...

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We're trying to decide if we should meet somewhere else besides the dive spot. The spot only has an address of Hy Way 35 in Belmar.Wouldn't want anyone to get lost and miss the fun day at the Basin. Any suggestions on a meeting place and what time would be best?
High tide is about 12:30. I think last year we meet at about 10:00.
Looking foward to see a lot of people THIS weekend.

In the other parking lot of the marina (the main part where the party boats are) there's a store, bathrooms, and a little tiny diner type place. You could meet there. Or there's the windmill hot dog place across the street.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
A few questions. I could have missed these in the thread. I will only be attending not dive;. maybe a few family members tagging along. What day are we meeting? Are there directions as I am not familiar with Belmar Basin? Can I bring anything?

Mark

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sunday August 19
Time: 10:00 am

Where: Belmar Boat Basin, with parking on the corner of Marina Ave & 35 (across from K Street). In THIS hybrid map you'll see the beach just to the left of the parking area.

There's lots to do on the beach with sien nets to catch grass shrimp and other little critters.

There was talk about bringing a grill and cooking, but I don't know if we're allowed to do that or not. Last year we headed across the street to the Windmill for lunch, followed by DQ for dessert.

Be sure to bring snacks, munchies and drinks. There's nothing "convenient" to purchase anything at.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Sunny High
77°F

Precip
10%

Wind: NW 14 mph
Max. Humidity: 43%
UV Index: 8 Very High

Here is acopy of the weather report. North West winds mean low visibility. All of the nasty stuff from the ocean will be in the bay. Does anyone have dive flags? There has been a lot of boat traffic and I almost so a diver get decapitated a few weeks ago.

Sunrise: 6:10 AM ET
Avg. High: 81°F
Record High: 92°F (1956

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds a lot like our weather from last year :)

We have a dive flag we can bring along. Great reminder. Anyone else who has one should bring it as well.

Are beach tags needed? Is this considered a "fun beach" (although alcohol is illegal, it is overlooked if consumed responsibly)? Has anyone contacted the Belmar PD to find out about grilling? I won't be diving but considering making a day of it with the kids.

thanks

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You'll need to bring your own filled tanks. There really isn't any place nearby to get them filled. We'll probably only do 1 dive. The way it works is that we stage all of our dive gear along a bulkhead. You walk up to it in the water and suit up and then walk about 50 yards to where the water gets to be about chest level and then swin another 50 yards to the end of a pier. From there you drop down about 15 to 20 feet and dodge blue claws. The vis isn't the greatest but when you run across tropicals you know it (they really stand out). We stay down for about 20 minutes and then come up and swim/walk back to the shore line.

It's not the greatest dive in the world but it is a good opportunity to get underwater and hang out with friends.

I'm not sure about permits for grilling, but c'mon up Francis. We'll figure out how to make a day of it.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John. I picked up one of these for you. They just came in today. Sorry about the bad pics. Wife used the camera and changed all the settings.

SaltWaterTank184.jpg

SaltWaterTank191.jpg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That looks pretty cool. Thanks Mike! Between that and the slurp gun, I'll be a catching machine!

Speaking of the slurp gun, I have to try to figure out a way to hook a lanyard or something up to it. It was kind of awkward trying to carry it around last time.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The nets might even be beter then fish traps in the tanks.
Last time I just tucked the slurp gun handle in me BC. If you can rig something up, make 2.

eholceker

NJRC Member
going to be a little late tomorrow morning. I need to pick up a nitrox tank and the dive shop doesn't open until 10. I should be there by 10:30

sinkingbeach said:
Are beach tags needed? Is this considered a "fun beach" (although alcohol is illegal, it is overlooked if consumed responsibly)? Has anyone contacted the Belmar PD to find out about grilling? I won't be diving but considering making a day of it with the kids.

thanks

Beach tags aren't needed over there on the marina side.

I'd highly recommend not trying to sneak alcohol over there, cops patrol that area frequently and love to give out public intoxication/open container tickets. It'll run ya close to $300 if you get caught.

I also do not believe you're allowed to do any grilling over there.