• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSA 135....

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, here's what i found with bryopsis. First time i was carbon dosing and had gfo online when i dosed tech m, melted away. Second time i dosed tech m in this tank, no carbon dosing or gfo, nothing happened, added 2 gallons. Started dosing vodka and put gfo back online for about a month to see if that would kill it by itself, i saw it struggling, but not dying. Added one more gallon of tech m while dosing vodka and using gfo, melted away again in a weeks time. I'll get another picture up tonight, the one above i had just started dosing the gallon of tech m.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Heres the comparison photos from a few days, what's left is a lot of hair algae, which i'm working on and slowly it's going down. First one is as of this morning, last one was taken on saturday. The rocks that were mostly effected were the ones on the bottom left and right, and the one in the center. The biggest difference is the rock on the right, that one was infested with bryopsis.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, the hair algae is not growing much, i don't think it's being eaten fast enough either. Gonna give the algaefix marine a try out on this, just need to get it to the point to where my herbivores can handle the growth in the tank. Nitrates and phosphates are already at 0, it's just a matter of getting it off the rocks. On a positive note, any coral that made it through, a decent amount, are growing back in and turning around quite well. Once i can see the rocks again i'll be able to actually get some frags and glue them down, doesn't work well on top of algae.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The kole, yellow, and idol eat it all day, it's just at the level that it will take 6 months to a year for them to get rid of it, so it seems, or i can kill it back to a manageable amount and let them keep it in check.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i've already ordered the other stuff at this point but if i have no luck there, i will definitely keep that in mind, just need this stuff gone.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just a small update, algae is slowly receding, all the acros and coral have come around and are growing back, some were receding a bit, you'll see in some photos, but are making a full turn around. I went and picked up a few things to add.

Got this orange passion, right now blue and green but the colors are just starting to turn so i'm hoping to get some oranges out of him in a few weeks.

Theres the torch i got from a fellow member, as well as a frag from a maricultured colony, curious how this one turns out. Theres one other green frag with white polyps not pictured, pretty neat piece though.

and a full tank shot.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just miss being able to see my rocks and watch the sps bases spread onto them, it's the little things.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That bubble algae scares me. Love the idol. Nice trailer.

I couldn't resist getting the idol, so far no issues with him. Bubble algae is dying back as well, i'm pretty sure there are two emerald crabs in the system that will eventually get a handle on it.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just picked up some stuff for the fish food, time to make another batch of it. This time around it's flounder, tuna, scallops, shrimp, squid, clam, brine shrimp, mysis, krill, veggie blend cubes and cyclops.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Just picked up some stuff for the fish food, time to make another batch of it. This time around it's flounder, tuna, scallops, shrimp, squid, clam, brine shrimp, mysis, krill, veggie blend cubes and cyclops.

I tried making my own food with shrimp, scallops, and flounder. I could see my fish spitting out some of the food but eating other parts. Have you noticed that with your fish?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
some of them are more picky, but it all gets eaten. all the fish are fat and happy including anthias and an idol, my mandarin used to love it as well until my last issue, lost him in q/t.

falconut

NJRC Member
Hey Art, the torch looks good in there. Glad to hear your having better luck with your algae.

Your male lyretail looks like the one I've had for a few years. It was sold as a yellow breasted male lyretail and has yellow along the bottom. Love the coloration of them.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Art, the torch looks good in there. Glad to hear your having better luck with your algae.

Your male lyretail looks like the one I've had for a few years. It was sold as a yellow breasted male lyretail and has yellow along the bottom. Love the coloration of them.

Thanks again, i think it will fill that area in nicely. Another interesting note with the lyre tail, not sure if it's normal or not, but his bottom two fins are white with red spots on them, not solid red like i've seen in photos.